MidSouth Shooters SupplyReloading EverythingRotoMetals2Lee Precision
Inline FabricationTitan ReloadingWidenersSnyders Jerky
Load Data Repackbox
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Lyman Cast Bullet Handbook

Lyman Cast Bullet Handbook

First post!
    I'm hooked...It's just a matter of time and a little more money before I start casting my own, but first a question:

I own Lyman's Pistol and Revolver Handbook and I'd like to buy Lyman's Cast Bullet Handbook but I like to know if most of the recipes are already covered in Pistols & Revolvers? The recipes (with different powders) are what I want not so much the how-to articles. TBH 20$ for another book isn't a waste, more information is always a good thing, I just don't want to be disappointed. Thanks.

Boolit Master
    There are variances between the different editions of the Pistol and Revolver Handbooks, depending on the publication date, and the loads were just extractions from Lyman's Reloading Handbooks.

I have eight various Lyman handbooks, but I could get by with only the 3rd Cast Bullet Handbook and the 48th Reloading Handbook.

The Cast Bullet and Reloading Handbooks have rifle loads, in addition to handguns loads.

Banned

i also have the third and the 48th no the 47th.
    these are the two i most often turn to when looking for cast loads. [not the only two i own]
    lymans #4 is pretty good if you have a lot of aa-5744 on hand, and don't mind using only linotype bullets.
    i need to find another number 3 though, mine is falling apart.

Boolit Master
    3rd Cast Bullet Handbook and the 48th Reloading Handbook.
    I have the new 49th to go with them and Speer #13. I do use those two the most.

Sorry i wasn't clear: I have pistols and revolver #3 and want to buy cast bullets #4 I don't want to spend 20$ to get the same recipes that are in Pistols #3
    What makes makes me suspicious is I looked at a friends' Lyman #49 and the pistol recipes were all the same as in pistols and revolvers #3
    BTW i can't find cast #3 for less that 50$(used)!

Banned

Lyman has been using and publishing some of the same data for nearly 50 years. It seems like the only time they work up new loads is when new powders come out.

Gear

Boolit Grand Master
    I have Lymans Pistol and Revolver Reloading Handbook, second edition and Cast Bullet Hanbook, third editon.

I have not looked at a fourth ed. Cast Bullet Handbook, but there has to be at least some newer data in it, the data in the 3rd ed dates from about 1980, IIRC, so there isn't anything in it for the newer cartridges like the .32 H&R Mag, 10mm, or .40 S&W just to name a few.

You cannot have too much loading data or refernce books, in my opinion.

Robert

Boolit Grand Master

Its just my opinion, and its worth exactly what I'm charging for it. You should get a Lyman book that deals with rifles too (its only a matter of time) but if you want different load data, you need different books. Everybody knows that less than 2300FPS is cast boolit territory. That covers most handgun loads. I have books from Hornady, Lyman, Lee, Speer (my personal favorite), and Sierra. There is also Hodgdons online reloading information that I have been using for the last two years. The only limitations I have found is when I am dealing with a realy fast rifle (like 300winmag or 270winchester) Most of the time you can run a heavier boolit and just use starting loads for rifle. Pretty much all of the pistol loads are a snap, because they are relatively low-speed projectiles.
    Precision in the wrong place is only a placebo.

Boolit Master
    As I mentioned, the Pistol and Revolver Handbook loads are taken directly from the Reloading Handbooks. They are redundant and don't list loads that are any different than the Reloading Handbooks of the same vintage. If you want the latest, most up to date loads, buy the Cast Bullet Handbook, 4th edition.

Fifty bucks for a 3rd edition!? I'll sell you mine for $45. Try ebay.

There's an enormous amount of data in Lyman's Cast Bullet Handbook unrelated to loads that is wonderful data.

The non load data is specifically related to boolit casting in general, alloys, and the like and is a superior reference.

i like ye olde #'s 46 and 47 best but that's just me , the 48 rarely gets opened but i do pursue the 49 from time to time , the pistol #3 is decent and i dont have the #2 to compare it too and all of the cast boolit books are worthy IMHO altho with the page background in the #4 it is a lil distracting/busy , as for nirt and girty ... #4 cast boolit book has alot of data that isnt in any of the other books , mainly the use of non-lyman molds , perhaps not all of our favorite molds but who else has actual data for the lee 310 grain .44 boolit ? ( there are others molds/data of course but ...)
    after the #46 manual lyman stopped listing much in the way of non-current factory offerings , gone was the wildcats and many of the older cartridges , the 4th cast bullet book has some of the older ( and more popular) cartridges but sadly no contender/encore section ( which i'd rather have than yesteryear's big cartridges but again that's just me ) yeah to me it was worth the $20 ( can be found a lil cheaper on sale or at various locales/suppliers )
    Je suis Charlie

" To sit in judgment of those things which you perceive to be wrong or imperfect is to be one more person who is part of judgment, evil or imperfection."
    Wayne Dyer
    if it was easy would it be as worthy ? or as long of lasting impression ? the hardest of lessons are the best of teachers [shrugz]
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WLzFhOslZPM

Boolit Master

I use the Lyman cast #4 and I buy the caliber specific manuals for every caliber I own. Between the two I find just about all the info I need. The caliber specific cover most manufactures and most powder companies. A great buy because you get more than one companies info. They are usually about 8 bucks.
    "The right of the people to keep and bear...arms shall not be infringed. A well regulated militia, composed of the body of the people, trained to arms, is the best and most natural defense of a free country..." (James Madison, I Annals of Congress 434 [June 8, 1789])

Once the people find they can vote themselves money, that will herald the end of the republic.
    Benjamin Franklin

Boolit Master
    Many load listeds in the 45th were either dropped or reduced, when the 3rd cast and 46th reloading handbooks were published. Were there not lawyers in 1975?

Boolit Bub
    I still use my late father's Handbook Of Cast Bullets (the first one). I love reading a handbook from the days before massive litigations; when the reader was assumed to possess a modicum of common sense. It has loads of loads for old cartridges and long-gone powders. It's still the best manual I own.
    I also use Lyman #46, Hodgdon #6 and Speer #10. Of course I take advantage of on-line resources and really appreciate the years of experience contained on forums such as this one.

Boolit Grand Master

IMO you can never have to many Loading manuals and references.
    1Shirt!
    "Common Sense Is An Uncommon Virtue" Ben Franklin

"Ve got too soon old and too late smart" Pa.Dutch Saying

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by LxOxD View Post
    First post!
    I'm hooked...It's just a matter of time and a little more money before I start casting my own, but first a question:

I own Lyman's Pistol and Revolver Handbook and I'd like to buy Lyman's Cast Bullet Handbook but I like to know if most of the recipes are already covered in Pistols & Revolvers? The recipes (with different powders) are what I want not so much the how-to articles. TBH 20$ for another book isn't a waste, more information is always a good thing, I just don't want to be disappointed. Thanks.
    I just reread this, and something bothers me.

You say you haven't even cast a boolit yet, and ask about what loading data the cast bullet book has vs. the other Lyman manuals, but don't want to read the how-to articles??

Those articles and chapters should be the #1 reason to buy the Lyman Cast Bullet Handbook, right now you need them more than load data to help you get started, unless you're one of the Epitomies that was born knowing everything.

Gear

Whoa, big fella. You read way too much into my question. It is a reloading question only. I own some cast bullits and would like to know more about powder, oal etc. At this time i am NOT casting, if these bulltis work well, it'll be a little longer before i do. I understand the need for educaton quite well, l've been an academic librarian at a college for the past decade. Sadly no libraries carry cast bullits #3. So I came to the authorities on this subjet. PAX

Boolit Master

there is a lot of cross over information in the Cast book but its worth owning.

Boolit Buddy
    As I type this reply, I have within arms reach all of the cast bullet manuals from Lyman and RCBS. Another valued resource is the Modern Reloading Second Edition by Richard Lee. There is alot of imformation and load data for jacketed and cast in the Lee manual. One can't have too much imformation and I like to compare loads from different sources. I guess what i'm trying to say obtain any and all manuals that you can, you won't regret it.

Boolit Grand Master

Lyman's 4th Edition Cast Bullet Handbook has a very good load data section; more bullets and powders listed than the 3rd Edition. The 3rd Edition has better "how to" articles and general info. For load data only, get a 4th. If you shoot lead bullets, you should have one of the Lyman handbooks. I lost my Pistol and Revolver book so I can't commenent/compare the "how to" or data sections there...
    My Anchor is holding fast!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast