Lee PrecisionRotoMetals2Titan ReloadingLoad Data
Inline FabricationSnyders JerkyWidenersReloading Everything
MidSouth Shooters Supply Repackbox
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: fun shoot target ideas

Question fun shoot target ideas

I know from reading the posts here that there is a wealth of knowlege out there. our club has about 4 fun shoots a year and I usually am the one to come up with the targets and shooting format what do some of you guys do for targets and scoring. we try to mix a little luck and skill and people will bring anything from a .22 to a .577 snider so it's a bit tricky pleasing everyone. thanks for any ideas.

hey, watch where ya point that thing!

Boolit Master

Enfield, a few things come to mind, baloons with a bit of a leash on them, harder to hit if there's a bit of a breeze, clay pidgeons are always fun too. At closer ranges charcoal briquets and eggs are a kinda fun...Ray
    Proud member in the basket of deplorables.

I've got the itch, but don't got the scratch.

Post Targets...

Gummy Bears at 7 to 20 yards with a 22rimfire are a blast. If its warm outside they will stick to about anything.

Clay birds at 50 to 100 yds, I shoot them with my 500S&W and M1, my 13 year old girl shoots them at 60 yards with a 22.

Back to the Gummy Bears, I wonder how many of the guys shooting bigbore's can hit one at 7 yards?

Soda can's make a big splash when hit.

Paint a milk jug black, don't put water in it, see how long it takes for the guy shooting to find out he hit it....

Hang a soda can from a string, cut the string... Its hard at 7 yards with just about an thing to cut the string the first shot.

Good luck,

Tim

Cast Boolits Owner

My targets

I cut angle iron into targets. Just lay it in the cut off band saw and cut it to uniform lengths. I use 2x2x1" wide for .22's out to 100 meters and 4x4x3 for other rifles. I use 6x6x6 for pistols. I paint them white. They stand on their own, can be placed anywhere and really fly when you hit them with something big! Keep a couple of 5 gal buckets for transport and use a hand truck to roll them out on the range.

Robert
    "The only way to deal with an unfree world is to become so absolutely free that your very existence is an act of rebellion."
    - Albert Camus -

great ideas ( that was fast ) keep em coming. do you just stick the gummy bear to a target holder? what happens to the gummy ( I assume it just diappears ) . no 1 is the angle iron 2"x2" and 1" long ? (that's small at 100 m ) and 4" x 4" x 3" long or am I not understanding. I'll keep an eye out for cheap soda pop ( I would probably get hate mail if I used beer ,ha ) thanks for the reply's

hey, watch where ya point that thing!

Boolit Master
    A playing card standing edgwise. A nick or slice scores 5, or cut clean in two scores 10.
    A double bitted ax ( or improvize) stuck in a wood block with a clay bird hanging on each side. Each bird is worth 5 points. Try to split the boolit and get both for 10.
    An x of string across a wood block. Each string is worth 5 points. Try for the x and cut both strings for 10 points.
    Theres a few for ya. Anybody here ever go to the dynamite shoot outa Superior MT.? Now thats fun!!!
    BIC/BS

Smile

Get yourself a bunch of junk golf balls (you know, with slices, nicks, etc.,) and some nails (we used roofing nails). Pound a nail into each golf ball.

Now cut some string, etc., about 2 to 3 feet long and tie one end to the nail. Tie the other to a cross bar so the golf ball is hanging down 2 or 3 feet. Set it up so each person/team has XX balls to knock off, shortest time being the winner.

Muzzle loaders and handguns at 50 yards, centerfire rifles at 75. Just wait until someone only creases one. The ball is now swinging and is one HECK of a hard target to hit!
    Regards,

WE

Gummy Bears...

I have put on the top side of a 2x4 board, and the shoot them off the board. Key is to not hit the board with the shot. I have shot the ears off them, then the head then blast it off the board. Sometimes they sit after a shot sometimes they take one hit. Kids like to shoot gummy bears, just don't let them eat all the targets.

Or stick them to the top side of a cardboard box, they will stand there a long time before you shoot them off at 7 yards offhand with a 22cal handgun. Put one in the middle and one each side, the outside one's are no shoots. Its fun to make a game out of it.

Place some at 100yards, shoot them with 223cal or PDog guns... Lots of misses on a gummy bear at that range...

Put a time on 5 shots with the bears at 7 yards... (Hand gun, say 60 seconds, or less) Ask the bigbore guys to hit one in under 5 seconds, at 7 yards. Its bad when you miss a sitting bear at 7 yards by 2"...

Good luck,

Tim

We shoot breakables in team events.A timer with stopwatch times each event.Along with the other things mentioned.

1]Plastic bottles.H2o,soda,milk.Easy to come by. water can be colored with food dye for contrast.

2]Wood blocks. 2x4 scrap cut sq. Use a staple to attach wire. 2x4 x 3/8 endcuts work well also

3] ceramic floor tile. I made a jig to drill about 4 at a time with masonery drill on a drill press for hanging wire. [drill from back side]

4] Beer cans. fill with water.Hang wire from pull top. They blow up nice.

5] Bowling pins.Lanes around here change them every year.I getem free.

6] Clays. we drill them for wire, Got to do it from the back though.

7] Stake event. Hang a board horzontal and have team try to cut it in half. 3"or 4"
    wide is enough. I use fine 3/4"partical board as each piece is about the same.
    If shooting,fixing,making and thunking were easy.Everyone would be doing it.

There are four types of homicide: felonious, accidental,
    justifiable, and praiseworthy.
    - Ambrose Bierce

Jim

how about cats? Any range.

Boolit Buddy
    I have a 13" steel plate, bored a 7/8" hole thru the center and hang a clay target behind several feet back from the plate. Placed at 100 yds. using a .22 rimfire.

Hanging the clay back from the steel helps prevent "near hits" or half bullets/splatter from breaking the clay.

Moderator Emeritus / Trusted loob groove dealer

Somers, Montana, a quaint little drinking village,with a severe hunting and fishing problem.
    One of our favorites, is the lids from canning jars. Stick a string to them, with some tape, and hang them up. They spin in the slightest breeze.
    Another we did a couple years ago, was to get an old excercise bicycle, and you had to shoot as you peddled.
    Shooting from the opposite shoulder is fun.
    Small plastic balls of flour, or charcoal briquets also make challenging targets.
    Small suckers stuck in drilled holes are also fun.
    A piece of concrete re-enforcing rod, hung verticle and/or horizontal, is also good practice.

Have mercy.
    A haw, haw, haw, haw, a haw.
    A haw, haw, haw

Hey Wills,That kid just dont look happy!
    If shooting,fixing,making and thunking were easy.Everyone would be doing it.

There are four types of homicide: felonious, accidental,
    justifiable, and praiseworthy.
    - Ambrose Bierce

Jim

Boolit Master
    Somewhere that ants won't be a problem -- ANIMAL CRACKERS! Just gotta keep the grandkids from eating all the targets.... Solid hit = explode on impact. PETA would love it.

If the kids are a little standoffish about the animal cracker thing, then saltines and cheez-its. Good hit = disappearing reactive target.

Next time out (prolly by yourself), same place, ground squirrels. Yea, the ones eating all the crumbs from the saltines and cheez-its, especially if the critters are a nuisance. Again, PETA is just gonna love ya.

Cast Boolits Owner

the angle is 2x2" and cut 1" wide. Yeah it is small but the 13 y/o has no problem with the .22's. I line up about 40 of them on the railroad tie that is at the end of the 100 meter range and she just starts at one end and works her way to the other. She usually does not miss many times once she figures the range. The others are 4" angle cut 3" wide. Make sense?

Robert

Quote Originally Posted by enfield View Post
    great ideas ( that was fast ) keep em coming. do you just stick the gummy bear to a target holder? what happens to the gummy ( I assume it just diappears ) . no 1 is the angle iron 2"x2" and 1" long ? (that's small at 100 m ) and 4" x 4" x 3" long or am I not understanding. I'll keep an eye out for cheap soda pop ( I would probably get hate mail if I used beer ,ha ) thanks for the reply's
    Last edited by No_1; 03-13-2007 at 07:01 AM.
    "The only way to deal with an unfree world is to become so absolutely free that your very existence is an act of rebellion."
    - Albert Camus -

For rimfire we shoot at "goldfish" crackers and pepermint candies at 50 yards. I heard about tapeing paintballs to a paper covered board so when they are hit they make a big SPLAT on the board.

Boolit Buddy
    You guys are to tame, a fun target to me is a Guinea in an armored box with a hole for his head to stick out set at a hundred yards, no benches.

good luck

Potatoes and moose poop on a toothpick are my favs. eggs are pretty cool too.

Radish setting on top of your best knife will tell you who can shoot and whos a wuss...

Ive shot waksupi's excercise bike.....sick...very sick..

i like carpetman idea
    but how about poker chips drill a hole in them tie a string throgh the hole and you pick
    the range or a grove in a board and stand the chip[s in the grove

A GUN IN THE HAND IS BETTER THAN A COP ON THE PHONE

crime dont pay as will as politics

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast