Snyders JerkyMidSouth Shooters SupplyWidenersLee Precision
Reloading EverythingTitan ReloadingInline FabricationRotoMetals2
Load Data Repackbox

Thread: Borescope?

Borescope?

Since my eyes went south, I was wondering if any of y'all have and use a borescope? What brand and if it is considered money well spent>
    You boys gonna draw them pistols or whistle Dixie

NRA ENDOWMENT MEMBER

"The gods do not deduct from man's allotted span the hours spent fishing."
    ------Babylonian Proverb

Boolit Master

I am only aware of one borescope made for firearms and that is a Hawkeye made by Gradient Lens. They are rather expensive but well worth the money in my book. I have owned one for the past 12 yrs. and would not be without it. When I go to a gun show or a gun auction it goes with me. I will not buy a used gun without checking the bore with my scope. The Hawkeye allows you to view the bore at right angles and the smallest imperfections can be noted.

Larry

I saw one at the show and I have to say the views are impressive to say the least. I played with it for 10 minutes, and it does everything they say it will. It is also a very nicely made tool.

However, I personally don't think it is the type of tool that would pay for itself for the average guy. A gunsmith yes, and serious gun collector yes, a gun shop owner yes.

It kind of depends on how much you would actually use it. If you are looking at used guns to buy frequently, then it would pay. If you are a gunsmith then for sure. The average guy just won't get his moneys worth from this really fine tool. You can only look down your barrels so much and once you've done it once, the next time probably isnt going to be that much different.

I guess if you were shooting your .300 Weatherby at Praire doggs you could monitor throat errosion. But if you were actually doing that, you'd probably be better off buying the medical version and then use it to reconnect your brain to the rest of your body.

My .02

Randy
    "It's not how well you do what you know how to do,,,It's how well you do what you DON'T know how to do!"
    www.buchananprecisionmachine.com

Boolit Master

I agree that this tool may not be for the average gun owner. I have only met one gunsmith who has one and he bought his after he saw mine in use. I use mine in the shop constantly to evaluate bores during cleaning and lapping. I have looked at thousands of bores with a light that looked good only to check with my scope and find rounded grooves, pits, heat cracked throats and other problems.

They may not be for everyone but I would not be without mine.

Larry

I wouldn't easily part with my Hawkeye either. After the original obligatory look-see down a bunch of barrels I discovered I could use it to critique my cleaning techniques. After some testing and borescoping, I'm a serious WipeOut fan.

Also use it for eyeballing old milsurps.

Perhaps not for everyone, but it has utility.

Boolit Man
    Love our Hawkeye. A couple of my friends and I went together and bought one. I had a 243 that would get copper fouled in no time. Never could figure out why. One look with the Hawkeye and saw a very large crater about half way down. +6 for the bore scope. Mike

Boolit Buddy
    Last year at Christmas time a good shooting friend of mine gave me a small flexible head flashlight for a bore light as a part of a Christmas gift. The flashlight has a flexable stem neck and very bright LED light that is small enough to fit the receiver of almost any rifle, including most .22 rimfires. I asked her where she had found it and she told me at the local CVA pharmacy and that they only cost several dollars. You may consider this as a less expensive alternative.

Just my thoughts..... Pete

I just bought a Hawkeye bore scope. Picked it up after I almost got taken by a fellow trying to pass off a rifle with a barrel that was junk. Fortunately I was able to take the rifle to a friends house and use his, that experience made me rethink about the purchase.

I have not looked back and have learned quite a bit about the condition of my own barrels as well as others.

Money well spent in my book.

Longone

Boolit Man

Bruno's was the least expensive place to buy that I found.

The 90 degree adapter costs more, but is nice if you are working off a bench at a show - or trying to look down a barrel when it is chucked up.

Get a camera adapter so you can take pictures/video. There is some money to be made in barrel evaluations - although the folks that are trying to pass a sewer pipe as "only shot two boxes" get a little worked up in front of their potential buyer when they see the naked truth come up on the monitor/printer/camera screen.

Boolit Master
    I have a bore scope made for automotive use. it works well. no 90 deg or camera adaptors. It will fit down a 30 cal bore. i paid 165 from a tool truck.
    Its no hawkeye but it works well enugh.
    It will show you that your not clean yet, tool marks, pits etc. mines is lighted.
    NRA LIFER .. "THE CAST BULLET HANDLOADER IS THE ONLY ONE THAT REALLY MAKES ANY OF HIS AMMUNITION. OTHERS MEARLY ASSEMBLE IT". -E.H. HARRISON

----------------------
    "Those who hammer their guns into plows will plow for those who do not."
    Thomas Jefferson
    ------
    "Government is not a solution to our problem, government is the problem."
    -- Ronald Reagan

Boolit Master

Three of us went together and bought a scope years ago.

Once you run one down the barrel of some of your guns you will be disappointed. Smoothest barrel I have examined belongs to a 1886 made in 92 1892 that is. Must not have seen many/any Black Powder loads
    Last edited by TCLouis; 02-11-2012 at 10:40 PM.
    Amendments
    The Second there to protect the First!

Got my first rifle just about 50 years ago, never have had a bore scope. Still don't feel the need for one. I buy, sell, and trade all the time and get by just fine without one. Just as soon have another firearm or two for what one cost.
    45 AUTO! Because having to shoot someone twice is just silly!

Moderator Emeritus / Trusted loob groove dealer

Somers, Montana, a quaint little drinking village,with a severe hunting and fishing problem.
    I don't know as how a bore scope tells you all that much. I remember looking at the barrel of an old Model 70 Winchester. It looked like the craters of the moon, from end to end. But, it shot into an inch at a hundred yards.

As a side note, I examined hundreds of custom barrels with a bore scope. The best consistent interior was always barrels from Montana Rifle Barrel Co. I would place Lilja in second best.
    The solid soft lead bullet is undoubtably the best and most satisfactory expanding bullet that has ever been designed. It invariably mushrooms perfectly, and never breaks up. With the metal base that is essential for velocities of 2000 f.s. and upwards to protect the naked base, these metal-based soft lead bullets are splendid.
    John Taylor - "African Rifles and Cartridges"

Forget everything you know about loading jacketed bullets. This is a whole new ball game!

the upper left hand corner ie Washington state
    Check out Amazon for bore scopes. I have one and use it all the time. Type in flexible scopes in the Amazon search.

Exblaster