Lee PrecisionRotoMetals2Snyders JerkyWideners
Titan ReloadingReloading EverythingMidSouth Shooters SupplyRepackbox
Load Data Inline Fabrication
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: LEE Bore rider

LEE Bore rider

Take a look and tell me what you think. We took a 7/8oz Lee slug and hogged it out so we can size it back to .731-.732. ? I tried to take a picture that shows the base, nose and the one I used to slug the barrel. The barrel slugged .7295 .730. Slug is heavy 1.67 of an oz.
    "Some times it's just better to smile an walk away."

"Think ya used enough dynamite there, Butch?"
    -Butch Cassidy & the Sun-dance Kid

Boolit Master

Looks good I'm very interested in how they will shoot let us know when you get a chance to try a few. If they shoot accurate I might give that a try. Nice job. FB

Boolit Buddy
    i have a feeling the wad collumn is going to get jammed up into the base of the slug.
    A.F.A.M.

Boolit Grand Master

+1 on what Harmon says.

Filling the hollow base with hot melt glue should solve it though.

I am also thinking that the skirt looks thin and will collapse some as well, especially if it isn't filled.

You may need to lube them somehow to avoid leading. Coating with LLA or a lubed felt wad under might help.

Longbow

Didn't think about hot glue. I have a lot of questions before I load. I was thinking of COW in the base. Would that work? Also I was just messing around with a trap hull last night and the thought of loading the slug down right on the powder came around. Like a hollow base 45-70. I made a dummy rnd and it functions in my 870. I would be short though. With a long jump to the rifling. Just thinking out loud.

Boolit Buddy
    the cream of wheat may just lessen the wad getting stuffed up the base of the slug. needs to have something more solid.
    A.F.A.M.

Boolit Buddy
    fill the bases with the cheapest light weight body filler you can, BONDO!... i used it on some lyman fosters to keep the wads from getting jammed inside the base of the slug. it helped but the slug needed a full diameter mod to get better accuracy.

Harmon
    A.F.A.M.

Boolit Master
    Dodge Co. GA. Between the Ocmulgee and Little Ocmulgee rivers.
    Maybe adding the keydrive back to the base might keep the wad out. It would also make the slug more rigid.

US Govt mantra: If it's moving tax it. If it's still moving regulate it. If it stops moving subsidize it

I cut open a winchester 1oz low recoil this is whats iside

Boolit Buddy
    161, a little thread drift but do those low recoil slugs have a really bright muzzle flash? the ones i shot had WinLite on the side of a really light gray hull. when shot out of a smoothbore 870 shotgun with rifle sights, i saw a bright white fireball in the bright daylight.

i would still fill the base of the slug with bondo, wad or hot glue. just to keep that wad out of the cave in the back of the slug.
    A.F.A.M.

I cut open a winchester 1oz low recoil this is whats iside
    The Winchester slug has a thick skirt and it looks like yours has a thin skirt, but it's hard to tell. Skirt thickness is important when dealing with hollow base slugs. If the wad (or pressure) damages the skirt accuracy will be poor.

Banned

I got an idea just for craps, load it backwards! What a hollow point!

Boolit Master
    Dodge Co. GA. Between the Ocmulgee and Little Ocmulgee rivers.
    How about filling the base AND paper patching it? Wonder how that would work.

US Govt mantra: If it's moving tax it. If it's still moving regulate it. If it stops moving subsidize it

Quote Originally Posted by Harmon_Greer View Post
    161, a little thread drift but do those low recoil slugs have a really bright muzzle flash? the ones i shot had WinLite on the side of a really light gray hull. when shot out of a smoothbore 870 shotgun with rifle sights, i saw a bright white fireball in the bright daylight.

i would still fill the base of the slug with bondo, wad or hot glue. just to keep that wad out of the cave in the back of the slug.
    Guess I never notice a big muzzle flash. I've shot several deer with them thru and thru on broadside shots every time. They run about 1000 FPS. I have some Federal True Ball They call them low recoil yet they run around 1300 Fps. They shoot very well also.

Quote Originally Posted by UNIQUEDOT View Post
    The Winchester slug has a thick skirt and it looks like yours has a thin skirt, but it's hard to tell. Skirt thickness is important when dealing with hollow base slugs. If the wad (or pressure) damages the skirt accuracy will be poor.
    We'er building a jig that will allow us to evenly trim the base off square. That will thicken the base up some but it is thinner. I think hot glue or something would be the ticket. Wish I could find something like the True Ball uses.

Quote Originally Posted by 338RemUltraMag View Post
    I got an idea just for craps, load it backwards! What a hollow point!

Boolit Mold
    Quote Originally Posted by 161 View Post
    We'er building a jig that will allow us to evenly trim the base off square. That will thicken the base up some but it is thinner. I think hot glue or something would be the ticket. Wish I could find something like the True Ball uses.
    http://www.usplastic.com/catalog/ite...=searchresults

How about something like that ?

-George

Quote Originally Posted by gfisher View Post
    http://www.usplastic.com/caItalog/it...=searchresults

How about something like that ?

-George
    I like it...

Well, this thread brought back memories of a frustrating 4 yr project with 12 ga slugs from '80 to deer season in '84. It was one of those projects that would frustrate the heck out me..........to the point that I would move on to rifle or pistol projects so as to allow me to noodle the slug situation for a couple of months. I killed one deer with the final reloads and proved to myself that it was do-able.....just not worth the effort.
    Used a Lyman slug mold that dropped a .702 slug, tried various gas seals and wad column to get 10" to 36" groups at 50 yds. Heavy leading in the first 12" of
    the Win Mod 12. I started "paper patching" with masking tape......eliminated most of the leading, but accuracy was still abysmal.
    Decided to reduce the slug diameter to .680 so they would fit inside of a Win AA (red) wad cup with the gas seal removed. Eliminated the leading, but accuracy continued to elude me until I provided a really solid wad column and various fillers in the slug base. Accuracy really never got much better than 3-5" at 50 yds, if I recall.
    Pictures are of the reduction die and extended shell holder/mandrel (a couple of decades ahead of Lee Precision!) Since the skirt came out uneven, I had a file trim die made to true up the base.
    Interesting project that taught me alot; but, always despising a slug gun, I immediately went to pistols for deer when became legal and, now have used a rifle for last 4 yrs in this part of New York. I believe there are now fewer hunting accidents with rifles, pistols and muzzleloaders as legal weapons than when only slug guns were legal here. Legislators...........you can't fix stupid!
    I will agree that slug technology has advanced by light years in the past 25 yrs, but I must admit I will always have that bad taste in my mouth for slug guns that won't go away.

dmitch
    Last edited by dmitch; 08-29-2012 at 07:32 PM.

Boolit Grand Master

dmitch:

I have to say that if you managed 3" to 5" at 60 yards with a Lyman Foster slug you did very well!

I have a very low opinion of them and have not done much better that 6" to 8" at 50 yards and then with frequent fliers.

My round ball loads are more accurate at 50 yards than the Lyman Foster. I can usually count on under 4" groups.

My belief is that the Lyman Foster slug was designed originally to be swaged into a "rifling" die which would bring them up to bore size (or at least closer). I can't seem to find any information to support that except that Lyman (Ideal?) used to sell a swaging die for the Foster slug. Why else would they make a mould to cast a slug at 0.705" to fit a 0.729" bore?

Slugs I recovered from snow showed very uneven "slugging up" to bore diameter resulting in an uneven skirt, as you found sizing, and also a tipped nose. "Slugging up" 0.024" is a lot!

SluggerDoug posted a good write up on his solution which was to "knurl" the slugs using a setup he made with helical gears to impress rifling into the skirt and bring the slug up to bore diameter. Then he got reasonable accuracy.

My solution was to avoid the Lyman Foster slug (and most other hollow base designs) and use either round balls or attached wad slugs ~ Brenneke style.

My compliments on your tooling. Looks like a pretty good setup even if you weren't happy with the result.

Longbow

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast