RepackboxTitan ReloadingInline FabricationLoad Data
Lee Precision RotoMetals2
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Fire Piston

Boolit Master
    have them made in china for$.50

Quote Originally Posted by NSP64 View Post
    have them made in china for$.50
    I'm sure one of them over there has been reading this post and has already started on a proto type as we speak.
    Last edited by plmitch; 02-12-2012 at 10:19 PM.
    Life's hard, even harder if your stupid.

Moderator Emeritus / Trusted loob groove dealer

Somers, Montana, a quaint little drinking village,with a severe hunting and fishing problem.
    If you have a lathe, you can make one in about 30 minutes at the most.
    The solid soft lead bullet is undoubtably the best and most satisfactory expanding bullet that has ever been designed. It invariably mushrooms perfectly, and never breaks up. With the metal base that is essential for velocities of 2000 f.s. and upwards to protect the naked base, these metal-based soft lead bullets are splendid.
    John Taylor - "African Rifles and Cartridges"

Forget everything you know about loading jacketed bullets. This is a whole new ball game!

Boolit Master

Why didn't you tell me about this while I still had my lathe???

I've never heard of such a thing, but now I want one, if just to amaze myself that it works.

I have a decent wood lathe I bought for a job to make staircase spindles but all I managed to make was a mess. Turning wood is a true art and I have no talent.
    Life's hard, even harder if your stupid.

Longwood
    Quote Originally Posted by waksupi View Post
    If you have a lathe, you can make one in about 30 minutes at the most.

The first one I figure 30 minutres.
    From then on about 3 minutes.
    But,,,, I only want one.

Somers, Montana, a quaint little drinking village,with a severe hunting and fishing problem.
    Ebay has them, priced from reasonable, to ridiculous.
    The solid soft lead bullet is undoubtably the best and most satisfactory expanding bullet that has ever been designed. It invariably mushrooms perfectly, and never breaks up. With the metal base that is essential for velocities of 2000 f.s. and upwards to protect the naked base, these metal-based soft lead bullets are splendid.

Forget everything you know about loading jacketed bullets. This is a whole new ball game!

Banned

OK, Waksupi. What will it take for you to make me one?

Boolit Master

There's a huge variety of these on fleabay, everywhere from $10-15 and up. Found one in aluminum and brass that looks pretty cool for $20, since I can't currently make my own. I'm looking forward to playing with it.

Quote Originally Posted by tomme boy View Post
    OK, Waksupi. What will it take for you to make me one?
    Since I don't have a lathe here at home, I ain't making another one! I have tried making them without one, and had miserable luck getting the necessary close fit.

Boolit Master

Ric, can't you just drill the hole for the piston? Say a 1/2" hole and a 3/8" dowel?
    Chris

Μολὼν λαβέ

"Si vis pacem para bellum"

Quote Originally Posted by Arisaka99 View Post
    Ric, can't you just drill the hole for the piston? Say a 1/2" hole and a 3/8" dowel?

They need to be nearly interference fit. Only a few thousandths clearance. That is why it is so hard to do it free hand.

Boolit Master

Oh ok. I get you now.
    Chris

Μολὼν λαβέ

A buddy of mine made one with his drill press using hardwood dowels from Home Depot and an 'o' ring from auto parts .
    Worked good too.

the secret, from what I saw with mine, was a close fitting hole so there was no binding, and a gasket that when greased was a nice snug slide fit.

you do have to be able to compress the air very rapidly, and fully.

I need to make some of these.

Boolit Master

So it works like a diesel engine?
    Chris

Μολὼν λαβέ

Quote Originally Posted by Arisaka99 View Post
    So it works like a diesel engine?
    It is the ORIGINAL diesel engine.

Boolit Master

Oh cool!!
    Chris

Μολὼν λαβέ

Boolit Master

Just thought I would give you an update on getting to work with a commercial version this past weekend.

At our monthly Atlatl throw a new member borught several for us to work with, along with other primitive fire making methods. He had two on ewood and one called the vulcan by numyth. The vulcan worked very well for me. I worked with it for about 5 minutes and had the tinder glowing coals. it is not that expensive either. A couple of comments on it relate to good and bad points.

good point is it is easy to use. it has storage space in the piston handle for small amount of tinder or replacement oring/oring lube. It also has the removable endcap on the cylinder to release compression for storage and cleaning, very nice feature. If you make a metal one do this. it has a larger section that you can hold and keep form slipping out of off hand when striking the piston with the other hand.

Bad points the piston handle has flat with sharp edges, it will get pain full if you hit it a lot. One other bad point is I don't have one and will have to make one or spend $35 to get one.

A couple other notes. You have to quickly compress and then pull out the piston or you use up all the oxygen and the coals go out. if it does not work you need to get oxygen back into the cylinder ( the oxygen will be used even if the tinder does not light), that can be an issue with non removable bottom on cylinder. Short stroke is harder to use. Oring seal is much easier to get success than the cord wrap. char cloth would be a piece of cake with compared to natural tinder fungus or other fungus. The cup style tinder holder may be easier to use compared to the cross slot (and much easier to make on a lathe!).

Anyway cool tools.

Boolit Buddy
    My first thought was "a pinch of smokeless powder would sure help that tinder fire up."

My second thought was a vision of the zip gun I'd just created shooting up my wrist and out my elbow.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast