Snyders JerkyMidSouth Shooters SupplyRepackboxRotoMetals2
Titan ReloadingInline FabricationLoad DataWideners
Lee Precision Reloading Everything

Thread: New Model Ruger 10-22

Boolit Grand Master

New Model Ruger 10-22

I think this is on-topic here......I went to one of the local gunshops today to invest in some IMR-4227 for the 25-20. That much money for that little powder rises to the level of investment, far exceeding what I would call a "purchase". While so engaged, I noticed what looked like a Ruger 10-22 with a tapered aspect to its fore-end. I asked the proprietor if that was a deluxe model 10-22, and he advised that it was one of the new series 10-22's.

The barrel is a bit longer--looked like 20" instead of the old 18.5". It lacks a barrel band, which is a step in the right direction. Best of all--it has Patridge pattern sights--square front post and no bead, square Lyman notch in the rear sight.

Now, my plans for such a rifle centered on getting a used 10-22 for low bucks and going the route of aftermarket stock, barrel, and maybe trigger group, and scoping it. The new Ruger was priced at $229, a $20 bump from the $209 the guy wanted for the old pattern NIB 10-22's.

Has anyone had trigger time with one of these new Rugers? I'd be interested in the impressions of real people as opposed to those of gunwriters whoring for the gunmakers.

TIA!
    I don't paint bullets. I like Black Rifle Coffee. Sacred cows are always fair game. California is to the United States what Syria is to Russia and North Korea is to China/South Korea/Japan--a Hermit Kingdom detached from the real world and led by delusional maniacs, an economic and social basket case sustained by "foreign" aid so as to not lose military bases.

recon you'll be our pie-o-near on this one

Boolit Grand Master
    Pie-O-Nearing will wait until I figure out what--if anything--will shoot well from the Win M-290 I'm wrassling with currently. The few hopeful indications don't hold up for long shot strings in that little self-loader.
    I don't paint bullets. I like Black Rifle Coffee. Sacred cows are always fair game. California is to the United States what Syria is to Russia and North Korea is to China/South Korea/Japan--a Hermit Kingdom detached from the real world and led by delusional maniacs, an economic and social basket case sustained by "foreign" aid so as to not lose military bases.

I thought it might be interesting to add to this thread 16 years almost to the day later. Today I was in my LGS and saw he had a Ruger 10/22 leaning against the wall. And with a wood stock mind you. I asked to see it and sure enough it was real and in stock for sale. Imagine that. No ordering. No waiting 18 months for back order. It was right there in my hands. So I then asked what he would like in exchange so that I might walk out with it? He said I would have to come up with $279 out the door. I felt a little lump in my throat and instinctively asked could he do any better. He informed me there were plenty of people willing to buy at that price. I whole heartily agreed with him but said that may be true but I’m here with it in my hands now and cash in my pocket. And again instinctively I asked him would he throw in a 25 round Ruger mag with it. Some day my instincts of negotiating on every gun purchase will get me in trouble. But not today!!! He agreed and I walked out with the gun, 1 each of 10 and 25 round mag for $279. Now my grandson will have his first 22 semi auto in 2 years when he is 10. So the moral of the story is…..well there is no moral really. I just got a great deal in the middle of the chaos. Again. $50 increase over a 16 year spread. Interesting. Now to add to my stash of 22lr before they disappear off the shelves again. Oh wait.

Boolit Master

The real question is. . .

Al. . .did you ever get your 10/22? If not, then you've had a rougher time than Ralphie with his Red Ryder.
    WWJMBD?

In the Land of Oz, we cast with wheel weight and 2% Tin, Man.

Boolit Buddy
    I just checked the inflation calculator website. It stated that an item costing $229 in 2005 would be $315.65 today, so a $279 10-22 might not be a bad deal.

I was a Ruger cheerleader for years. I bought a 10/22 original model with Walnut stock and barrel band when they first came out. As the different styles came out I bought them too. I think I had everything Ruger made back then. Anyway I think if you get a 10/22 from date before they started making the hard wood stock model you will find a big difference in them. They aren’t on par with the ones that guys build into target guns. I’ve only got one old Sporter model left. I didn’t sell or trade the others. I gave them out to kids in family. I had Weaver K4 scopes on all except one which I had a Williams receiver sight. I don’t think I ever had one that wouldn’t do 1” at 40yds.