Reloading EverythingLee PrecisionSnyders JerkyInline Fabrication
WidenersRepackboxRotoMetals2Load Data
MidSouth Shooters Supply Titan Reloading
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Forming 32 Special Cases from 30-30 Brass

Quote Originally Posted by rbertalotto View Post
    Can't you simply fire a 30-30 in a 32 special rifle and fireform this way? we used to make 7TCU by simply firing loaded 223 in the 7TCU barrel.

not real accurate.....but real easy to form the brass.
    Don't see why you couldn't ?
    I too fireform 7TCU exactly the same way.

Boolit Master
    If you are going to fire new loaded ammunition through you 32 Special, why not start with 32 Special? Remingtom, Federal, Winchester and Hornady all load for it. 30-30 cases work just fine when simply resized to 32 Special. Long long ago Wideners closed out RP 32 Special bras for $2 a box (1980's). I bought 70plus boxes. I seldom shoot my 30-30's, usually with jacketed. For cast I have 3 Marlin 336's, all shoot cast very well. 30-30 is convenient and easy to find but the 32 Special, properly loaded is superior in the field and at the range, especially with boolits. 'Accidently' firing 32 Special in 30-30 is not an issue, they normally cannot be chambered, but they might jam things up.

Escapee from The People's Republik of Kalifornia - Now in AZ, "Where Free Men Live!"
    Use an electro pencil to obliterate the "30-30" stamp.

works for me.

Escapee from The People's Republik of Kalifornia - Now in AZ, "Where Free Men Live!"
    Quote Originally Posted by Dirty30 View Post
    I've used 30-30's for 32-40 and they work well fire formed although they're a bit short. You should also be able to use 38-55 by giving them a light anneal and reforming in your sizing die. 32 specials should be available through Winchester though for not much more than you'd spend on other brass. I think around $31/bag.
    Well, aren't the 30-30 and 32 SPL BOTH based on the 38-55?

Quote Originally Posted by MostlyLeverGuns View Post
    If you are going to fire new loaded ammunition through you 32 Special, why not start with 32 Special? Remingtom, Federal, Winchester and Hornady all load for it. 30-30 cases work just fine when simply resized to 32 Special. Long long ago Wideners closed out RP 32 Special bras for $2 a box (1980's). I bought 70plus boxes. I seldom shoot my 30-30's, usually with jacketed. For cast I have 3 Marlin 336's, all shoot cast very well. 30-30 is convenient and easy to find but the 32 Special, properly loaded is superior in the field and at the range, especially with boolits. 'Accidently' firing 32 Special in 30-30 is not an issue, they normally cannot be chambered, but they might jam things up.
    Because I have 600 or 800 30-30 cases!

Boolit Master
    I sure do miss the old wideners.
    just run the 30-30 brass through the 32 spl die if you cannot get 32 spl brass and just be aware looking out for bullet setback if you cannot get a crimp on it.
    ive even used a lee factory crimp 30-30 die on 32 spl before
    the stuff ive used seems to get stretched out after the first firing and by the second needs some trimming. but I'm not in the habit of putting together
    light loads.
    I would not hold my breath waiting for Remington brass. there is no telling what's going on after the sell off of the different divisions of Remington.
    there is nothing wrong with winchester brass and hornady seems to be on top of things in recent times in actually producing lots of brass for loading in calibers that not everyone uses. ive never seen bags of new federal brass for loading but there seems to be lots of federal in different calibers from pull down ammo.
    if I had a need for 32 win spl brass right now I would place a back order with starline first. if I could not locate new brass at reasonable cost elsewhere. then go to the loading room and put some ammo together with 30-30 brass and that way at least I would be able to use the gun for more than being a door stop. Ive never ever gotten anything but the least costly and the highest quality brass from starline for 30 or more years.
    Last edited by farmbif; 02-08-2022 at 09:42 PM.

Boolit Buddy

Times, they do change!

32 Special brass is pretty much unobtanium at this time.

I have a backorder in with Starline. Searched every online dealer and came up empty!

Using reformed 30-30 for now, until I can get some head-stamped 32 Special.
    Scrounging for pb...

USMC 0351

Boolit Master
    Thanks for bumping the thread; enjoyed reading about the good ole' days when oddball brass was still available at fair prices, lol.

Boolit Master

Southern Middle Tennessee/ Hillsboro Alabama
    My local shop has .32 WS in stock pretty much every time I'm in there . It is higher than 30-30 by $10 or so but they have it , usually Federal and Remington . If you are worried about mixing reformed cases do two things : use a colored sealer on the .32 priming and mark the boxes they are in .32 WS in big letters. While I did once manage to lose my box of ammo before I got to where I was gonna hunt I can truthfully say I have never left with the wrong ammo . As far as walking 6 miles and then finding I had the wrong ammo, can't imagine anyone doing that. I load my gun as soon as I'm ready to walk away from my vehicle.
    Grumpy Old Man With A Gun....... Do Not Touch !!

Boolit Grand Master

32 win spl could be fire formed fairly easily, its not a big change a charge of fast burning powder some cream of wheat and a wax plug. or it can be rough formed running thru a sizing die. Your not moving the brass that much. But the brass wont be fully formed until a firing irons it out to full form. I dont think youll see a big difference in accuracy between the 2 though.

Head stamps can be modified with an electric pencil stamp or dremil tool. You dont have to change the whole legend. Just remove the 0 from 30 or 3X-XX with the stamp. A piloted vee cutter could be made. The pilot would be a running fit in the primer pocket with a 60* vee cutter and small radius set to the correct spacing. insert twist and a ring /groove is cut lightly thru the head stamp. Set in a file handle ti would be quick easy and accurate. The groove would leave original faces on each side to maintain correct head space / thickness of the rim. A piece of 1/2" round stock with the pilot turned on the end a square cut for the tool/cutter once ground and set to location it could be glued or soldered in place then set into a file handle. A used 1/8 square lathe bit roughly 1/2" long would be plenty. In use Insert in primer pocket and twist thru the head stamp cutting the groove thru. It wouldnt need to go full circle just thru the 30-30 legend

If a .32 Special will chamber in a 30-30- I darn sure don’t want THAT 30-30!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Texas by God View Post
    If a .32 Special will chamber in a 30-30- I darn sure don’t want THAT 30-30!
    Since the 32 spl bullet is 0.321" or so, I doubt it would chamber in a typical 30-30 chamber, which has a 0.308" bullet.

You could likely shoot a 30-30 in a 32 spl, but why do that???

How did this particular nonsense get started?
    Kalifornia passes "feel good" legislation hand over fist, legislation that is looking for a problem to solve and affecting only law abiding persons.

So, after 40 years of that nonsense, that's why I now live in Arizona.

I meant that THAT 30-30 has a .32 Special chamber…. An Attempt at humor concerning perceived pitfalls of making 32 WS brass from 30-30 Win brass.

Well, sir? Your humor went over our heads.

And might instruct less knowledgeable persons to do stupid stuff?

You need to fix your post, sir.
    Kalifornia passes "feel good" legislation hand over fist, legislation that is looking for a problem to solve and affecting only law abiding persons.

So, after 40 years of that nonsense, that's why I now live in Arizona.

Boolit Master
    I placed a backorder to Starline for 500 pieces of 32 Special brass in August of 2022 when I got my rifle. They contacted me in October of 2023 telling me my order was ready. Yes, it took 14 months! In the meantime, I had bought 1,100 new pieces of Starline brass from other sources so I turned the 500 quantity order direct from Starline down so some other person who might need it more could get it. Probably went to some yahoo who will turn around and try to sell it at double price on gunbroker. There seems to be a lot of that where people are buying up large orders of brass from Starline that they don't intend to actually use then selling it at a big markup.

Quote Originally Posted by pcmacd View Post
    Well, sir? Your humor went over our heads.

And might instruct less knowledgeable persons to do stupid stuff?

You need to fix your post, sir.
    Here you go.
    Once you’ve converted 30-30 brass to .32 Special (since you have hundreds of 30-30 brass)- it will never ever fit a 30-30 chamber again. So there’s no danger there.
    Forming brass by firing 30-30 ammo in a .32 Special is a waste of bullets- but it’s safe as well.

Boolit Buddy
    re forming 30/30 brass is enjoyable
    have made 30 Herrett and 357 Herrett
    currently making 32/40 with great success
    I have a few 32/40 head stamped my son found
    those are put away for now

I currently use 30-30 brass for many other cartridges, 219 zipper, 25-35, 7-30 Waters, 32 Win spl., and 375 Win/ 38-55. I also have a 303 Savage that looks a lot like a 30-30 but would not chamber in any of the above calibers.
    So far I have not had a problem with the wrong cartridge for the gun I am shooting but anything can happen. Usually a smaller bullet in a larger bore gun would not be unsafe and a larger diameter bullet would not chamber in a smaller bore so not much here to worry over.
    Jedman

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12