Load DataLee PrecisionReloading EverythingMidSouth Shooters Supply
Inline FabricationRepackboxRotoMetals2Wideners
Titan Reloading
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Forming 32 Special Cases from 30-30 Brass

Boolit Bub

Forming 32 Special Cases from 30-30 Brass

Reading through several recent threads about the 32 Winchester Special has left me a little confused.

Is it possible to form 32 Winchester Special cases from 30-30 brass by simply passing them through a 32 WS sizing die? Or do they need to be fire formed? (One post mentioned opening the neck up to 32 caliber with an expanding plug, then then passing them through a sizing die.)

Which is the best method?

North Central Montana; across the wide Missouri
    I run the fired 30-30 cases thru the 32 Special die and treat them as 32 Special from then on.

Should you somehow mark the headstamp to show a difference? Somebody may try to shoot that .32 in a .30-30.

Boolit Bub
    Good idea, that someone likely being me!

Maybe filing a slight notch across the rim?

In Remebrance

You can also get then nice and clean and lay paint into the markings on the end, it'll stay and help ID it.

Best idea when using similar appearing brass is to get the right stuff if you can. 32 Special brass is still around IIRC.

North Central Montana; across the wide Missouri
    I have two guns in each chambering. I use the correctly marked cases for each. As I said above, I have formed 32's from 30-30, but no more!!

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by BoolitBill View Post
    Should you somehow mark the headstamp to show a difference? Somebody may try to shoot that .32 in a .30-30.
    Bill.....32 won"t fit a 30-30.

I use brand of brass to keep them seperate, i.e. RP=32/Win=30-30. Also use different boolits in each...311041 or Saeco 316 in 30-30/ NOE 326407 in 32SP.

Jon
    Col 2:13-17

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by Jon K View Post
    Bill.....32 won"t fit a 30-30.

I use brand of brass to keep them seperate, i.e. RP=32/Win=30-30. Also use different boolits in each...311041 or Saeco 316 in 30-30/ NOE 326407 in 32SP.

Jon
    Have you ever walked 6 miles found a huge bore and leaverd that 30-30 just to find you loaded the rifle with 32 specials re-formed from 30-30s.It makes the 6 mile walk back feel like 20 miles,my own fault I know

Boolit Grand Master

Problem I'm having is that when I form 32's from once-fired 30-30's the case is a bit short and I can't get a uniform crimp. Mebbe I need to fire them in a 30-30 a few times before I convert them.
    Endowment Life Member NRA, Life Member TSRA, Member WACA, NRA Whittington Center, BBHC
    Smokeless powder is a passing fad! -Steve Garbe
    I hate rude behavior in a man. I won't tolerate it. -Woodrow F. Call, Lonesome Dove
    Some of my favorite recipes start out with a handful of depleted counterbalance devices.

I've used 30-30's for 32-40 and they work well fire formed although they're a bit short. You should also be able to use 38-55 by giving them a light anneal and reforming in your sizing die. 32 specials should be available through Winchester though for not much more than you'd spend on other brass. I think around $31/bag.
    If you're gonna shoot shoot, don't talk.

Boolit Grand Master

32 specials should be available through Winchester though for not much more than you'd spend on other brass. I think around $31/bag. -Dirty 30

You're right, it's just that I always prefer RP brass in a rifle. Doesn't hurt that I can pick up a double handful of once-fired RP 30-30's on most any range trip. I have 50 pcs of WW 32 Spcl brass, haven't been able to find it in RP yet.
    Endowment Life Member NRA, Life Member TSRA, Member WACA, NRA Whittington Center, BBHC
    I hate rude behavior in a man. I won't tolerate it. -Woodrow F. Call, Lonesome Dove
    Some of my favorite recipes start out with a handful of depleted counterbalance devices.

Powder Valley has .32 Special brass (Winchester) for $24.75 per 50. They don't list Remington brass nor does Midway.

http://www.powdervalleyinc.com/

Although Remington makes loaded ammo, I don't know if they offer their brass as a reloading component.

Boolit Master

Never have figured out the attraction of goin cheap even though it takes time and doesn't work exactly right for the purpose.

http://www.grafs.com/retail/catalog/...ategoryId/782?

Boolit Grand Master

Agreed, 405. Goin' cheap is great-when it works. Unfortunately I'm not getting good results from the WW 32 Spl brass, crimps not as consistent as I'd like... but it's better than the re-formed RP brass that I tried. Very limited experience with Hornady brass, may need to give it another try. I could try trimming the RP brass to under min but I'd rather pony up and buy the right stuff, Midway just dropped their prices on everything on my wish list (birthday coming up!) so mebbe it's time to move some stuff to my shopping cart.

I recently sized some 30-30 brass to 32 cal. Trimmed all to same length, uniformed the primer pockets and am getting nice reduced groups. The brass are a little short but I'm getting nice crimps this way.

But I can see trouble if you have 30-30s and 32 W SPLs. Just have to double check and or have different colored ammo boxs or something.
    Oh great, another thread that makes me spend money.

You're right, it's just that I always prefer RP brass in a rifle. Doesn't hurt that I can pick up a double handful of once-fired RP 30-30's on most any range trip. I have 50 pcs of WW 32 Spcl brass, haven't been able to find it in RP yet.[/QUOTE]

I was letting the fella who started this thread know that new brass was available. Sorry for the cornfusion.
    If you're gonna shoot shoot, don't talk.

Boolit Grand Master

I was letting the fella who started this thread know that new brass was available. Sorry for the cornfusion. -Dirty30

Good point, Dirty30. No need to apologize, friend, I'm a longtime resident of the state of Confusion. As a matter of fact I was surprised to learn several weeks ago 32 Spl ammo and brass are easier to find than .35 Remington. I think the point of this thread is that 30-30 brass is plentiful - often free - and 32 Spl brass is a little pricey and not available from all manufacturers...and some folks around here like to tinker a bit.

Boolit Master
    Can't you simply fire a 30-30 in a 32 special rifle and fireform this way? we used to make 7TCU by simply firing loaded 223 in the 7TCU barrel.

not real accurate.....but real easy to form the brass.
    Roy B
    Massachusetts

www.rvbprecision.com

Boolit Master

32 Special Brass

30/30 brass when properly formed, trimmed and sized makes fine ammo. As noted by pmer above, uniform trimming makes for uniform crimps and thus uniform groups and velocities.

If you have a lot of 30/30 brass, it's worth the effort to use. To be honest, I've never loaded for my 32 Special in anything but 30/30 brass.

My Model 64 in 32 Winchester Special using 30/30 brass and cast boolits.
    Last edited by Scharfschuetze; 12-17-2014 at 12:13 AM.
    Keep your powder dry,

Scharf

Half the year in Canada and the other half in Mexico
    32 Special : Showing the 30-30 How It's Done since 1901

I sold my last 30-30 years ago when I found in my opinion the 32 Special was more cast friendly.
    I kept all my 30-30 brass and just ran it thru the sizer die. Up here 30-30 brass is cheaper than the 32 special in new and once fired. I think there is a .001 or .002 difference in length but it hasn't affected my accuracy.
    Doc.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast