WidenersRotoMetals2Snyders JerkyLoad Data
MidSouth Shooters SupplyReloading EverythingLee PrecisionTitan Reloading
Repackbox Inline Fabrication

Thread: High Standard Sport King

Banned

High Standard Sport King

Ran across one in a shop today, this one had a six inch barrel, non adjustable rear sight and came with a pretty well made holster for it that would be good for field carry (not a full flap, but covered and protected the pistol well).

I know they made good stuff. I currently have two older Browning .22 auto pistols that really haven't grown on me as they have four inch barrels and don't seem to point as well.

What's a Sport King go for nowadays. The gun isn't bad at all, but not pristine.

Boolit Master
    A friend that has a gun shop recently sold one for $350 that was at least 90% with the box and paperwork and 1 mag. The ones I've seen lately that were well used went for $250-300.

Boolit Master
    I have a 6 inch blued model that shoots like a house afire.

My nephew, being hugely disappointed in his new SIG Mosquito, spied a 4" nickel plated Sport King in the local pawn shop for $250. It shoots like a house afire as well, maybe a little better. They seem to shoot better than the two Ruger Government models that my brother has.

If the Sport Kings shoot that well, I wonder what the old High Standard target models would do...

I have 5 22 pistols. All High Standard. It is a bit of a learning curve to learn which load it likes and point of aim but I wouldn't trade my Sport King for any 22 made today. It goes everywhere with me. Buy it and never look back!!

Rich

Banned

Good to know. I'm truthfully beginning to get back into .22s, sure is nice to spend more time shooting and less reloading.

This one's asking price is about $360, I may have to do some wheeling and dealing and see if I can't get that price down a little.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by bowfin View Post
    I have a 6 inch blued model that shoots like a house afire.

My nephew, being hugely disappointed in his new SIG Mosquito, spied a 4" nickel plated Sport King in the local pawn shop for $250. It shoots like a house afire as well, maybe a little better. They seem to shoot better than the two Ruger Government models that my brother has.

If the Sport Kings shoot that well, I wonder what the old High Standard target models would do...
    I've got a Military Target Model that I bought in the late sixtys the first handgun that I was able to buy. It has had a ton of ammo shot throught it finially had a clip that wouldn't feed properly when fully loaded bought a replacement from Brownells back in business. Hows it shoot? I would say that without a doubt the most accurate handgun that I have ever had my hands on.

Richard

Boolit Buddy

I shoot a High Standard supermatic trophy for bullseye matches, the sport king is not going to give the accuracy of the higher end High Standards. If sport kings shot that accurate, shooters would shoot them in bullseye competition.

I have a Sport King with 4in barrel. At one time I had a Supermatic Citation with a 7in barrel IIRC. I always felt they shot about the same, very well.
    Experience is the source of all knowledge.

You said that the sights are non adjustable. Take another look, the front and/or the back sight might be driftable side to side.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Hurricane View Post
    You said that the sights are non adjustable. Take another look, the front and/or the back sight might be driftable side to side.
    Yes, you're correct, the rear is driftable, sorry. I don't think of that as an adjustable sight, but in reality, it certainly is.

I'm becoming more intrigued with the idea of this gun. He had a High Standard Sentinel there too, but I wasn't nearly as impressed with it. Sure were a lot of holes in that cylinder though.

Boolit Master

High Standard

I've owned several of the target High Standards. I own 2 Victors and a 5 1/2" and 7 1/4"Trophy. I also owned and sold an older 6 1/2" Slant Grip Tapered Barrel Citation.
    In a Ransom Rest they all shoot under 1 1/2" at fifty yards. I used mostly Std. Velocity CCI. The best was a 7 1/4" fluted barrel and it would commonly go 1" at fifty. I never shot the expensive ammo because I could never justify or afford it.
    It didn't seem what ammo you shot all the groups ended up between 1 and 1 1/2".

Boolit Master
    I have an old Sport King, before they added the slide latch after last shot. Fun gun. Likes high speed LR's with plated bullets. The waxed ones jam. I don't think they are $360 guns though.

Boolit Master
    I just bought a Hi Std. Plinker (very close to the same thing) for $225.00
    "The trick is to stop thinking of it as 'your' money" (Tax Auditor)

Life is not waiting for the storm to subside, life is about learning to dance in the rain.

Boolit Master
    got a early sportking in the shop right now. took me several months to find a trigger spring to replace the broke one.

what i like is that the barrels are easily swapped from 2.5"-7".

my local cop shop has a sportking airweight on consignment for $450.