Snyders JerkyReloading EverythingLoad DataRepackbox
WidenersInline FabricationRotoMetals2Titan Reloading
Lee Precision MidSouth Shooters Supply
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Star sizer air kit

Boolit Master

Why make a new piston at all? Anything wrong with using the one that came with the sizer?

I just received mine yesterday. The machining is high quality. The aluminum piston with gaskets works fine.

I don't think he has anymore. I emailed him and never got any response. I did notice an auction on ebay for one of these kits and when I saw it the current bid was $65.
    Air kit on ebay.
    Last edited by VHoward; 01-27-2012 at 11:02 PM. Reason: Found link

Boolit Master
    Not to step on the guy who makes this kit---But you can duplicate the Star air cylinder set up for about the same money if you don't mind making your own aluminum piston. The piston that Star sells is made from ordinary 1 inch round aluminum bar stock. If you can cut straight and square and drill and thread one hole you are there. Or you can buy the piston from Magma for about $12.00. This kit does look very well made and may work every bit as well as a cylinder powered set up. But when I and many others were experimenting last year trying to do the system without using an air cylinder, we had trouble with air getting past the piston and causing air pockets in the lube and pump. With the air cylinder you are not forcing air into the lube tube. All the air is contained in the cylinder. The 1 inch piston on the end of the cylinder push rod compresses the lube exactly as the spring set up does. If simply making a piston and adding a few connectors and a gauge worked so well, I think Magma [and Ballisti-cast] would have gone that route also. Again, this kit may work as advertised, but for the same money, I went with duplicating the Star design. Just my.02. Good luck on which ever system you try!! Rod

Since Bill did not respond to my email and I don't have any lathe or machine work experience, I just went ahead and ordered the Air cylinder kit from Magma. At least I know I will have something that works and have customer service from Magma if something goes wrong.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by VHoward View Post
    I emailed him and never got any response.
    The statement above concerned me. That's not the kind of guy he is or how he does business. I was concerned enough to email him and ask him about it. He told me he has responded to everyone he has gotten an email from.

If anyone else has not gotten an answer from Bill, please confirm his contact info with me again. I did fat finger a couple of PMs, but I thought I sent out corrections on the ones I messed up.

Stuff happens, who knows.

Boolit Master

I had emailed him right after I read your first post. He responded quickly and let me know he was waiting for supplies. Then I got another email letting me know he had the supplies and had made more air kits, if I still wanted one. I did and sent the money. He had the thing in the mail and to me withing 3 days. I am more than happy with the finished product. Thanks Alvarez. I do appreciate your letting me and other members know about the air kit.
    Dysfunctional Disturbed Disabled Debonair Navy Veteran
    Swift Boats, Vietnam, 1967-1968.

"You are never too old to learn something stupid."

Boolit Master

One of these kits on Evil Bay right now and is over $100... Oops, it sold for $133.50 PLUS $6.85 for shipping!

I think $55 is a real deal.
    Last edited by Alvarez Kelly; 02-24-2012 at 03:24 AM. Reason: Sold...

That is stupid since you can buy the Magma air feed kit for $100.

Boolit Master

Yep. I thought the same thing. That just goes to show you what happens on Ebay.

Boolit Buddy

$12 Air Cylinder from Grainger

I just got one of these yesterday - http://www.grainger.com/Grainger/SPE...Cylinder-3ARU3

The nose threads into the cap and it's the perfect length.

It took only about an hour total to get it installed and running. It's very nice and makes the tool just that much better.

Chuck

Boolit Master
    That Grainger cylinder looks EXACTLY like the one I just got yesterday from STAR.
    Roy B
    Massachusetts

www.rvbprecision.com

Boolit Buddy

Are there any more of these available? I'm looking to add Air feed to my new (used) Star
    USAF Retired

WAR EAGLE!

"A government that does not trust its law abiding citizens to keep and bear arms is its self unworthy of trust."
    - James Madison

<snip>
    Last edited by VHoward; 03-06-2012 at 09:27 PM. Reason: Realized you were talking about the kit offered in this thread, not the air cylinder.

Boolit Buddy
    ..oops.

Boolit Mold
    got mine running...

Boolit Master
    Is anybody using the kit with 50/50 Alox lube? I made one up and everything seems fine, holds air pressure, etc. but I'm not getting any lube to the boolits. It works fine with the factory plunger but not with the air system. I am not running any heater. I figured that 50/50 was soft enough to not need heat, it certainly flows well enough with the manual crank-down piston. Can anyone verify that I will need heat with 50/50 lube?

Banned
    Yes, I use heat with my 50/50 mixture and it flows fine with the air cylinder. Using a 300 watt heater ( heats in about 5 minutes) with PID control with 11.5X12'' home made base. The air cylinder pressure feed, heater with control are not purchased from Magma. Heat is necessary with the 50/50 mixture in my opinion.
    Last edited by 6bg6ga; 06-03-2012 at 07:00 AM.

Boolit Master

I believe Bill is making these kits again. I'll pass on his contact info if you PM me.

Boolit Master
    Alvarez,

Could you PM me the info also?
    Founder of the Single Shot section.

A government big enough to give you everything you want is big enough to take everything you have.

8 in the 10 ring, then I get a PING. Love my Garand.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast