RotoMetals2WidenersMidSouth Shooters SupplyLoad Data
Reloading EverythingInline FabricationLee PrecisionTitan Reloading
Repackbox
Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789 LastLast

Thread: Guide to Hand Sorting Wheel Weights

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by junker View Post
    I think it would be a great idea for people to add pictures to this thread.

Does anyone know if there storage available to host pics on this site or do they have to be linked in from elsewhere?
    I found this in "FAQ" near top of any page, also click on "Image Hosting":
    http://castboolits.gunloads.com/faq....faq_vb3_albums

Or you can start a free Google account and pile LOTS of pics there,
    other free providers offer storage you can link to.

By the way, GOOD JOB!

Now for the dark side of WW collecting:

These WWs are not suitable for casting as they present a hazard when
    dropping them into the pot:

Arranged in weight order L to R, L side is 4 oz, R side is 10 oz.
    Should you find any of these nasty things PM me for the address of the TLWDC
    (Too Large WW Disposal Center).

Of course, it's my address...

Boolit Mold
    Nice post - Thanks

great pics i was going to do something like it now, cool i dont have to
    To disarm the people is the best and most effectual way to enslave them.”
    ~George Mason

my feedback page:click and give me feedback here,below...

http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show....php?p=1412368

Boolit Mold
    Up until 13 years ago I poured many boolits. But jobs and life as I knew it changed. My re-entry into the world of melting Wheel Weights was for fishing sinkers. Something was wrong. Thanks to you I now know about the off brand WWs that have been added in the years I was away. I sorted them and my boolits are working well.
    THANK YOU

Boolit Master
    A good idea, for those of you that might wash the clothes you wear while smelting: High phoshate dishwashing detergent is said to take the lead out. You'll have to wash them twice, or two cycles through the washer because the stuff is slimy feeling.

My two cents worth!
    In all, the .41 Magnum would be one of my top choices for an all-around handgun if I were allowed to have only one. - Bart Skelton

Thumbs up

Tip of the cap to Junker for this post. Thanks for the time and effort involved in putting this together. Very nice job!

Boolit Buddy
    Question about stick on wheel weights. I have separated them but I noticed two different types. One is flat and soft and very easy to bend. The other is like little cast bricks. They are painted and appear to be just like the painted COWW in the bucket. Are they all soft lead or just the flat ones?

Besides boolits, I want to make some decoy strap weights for my brother. They need to be pure soft lead so that he can bend them many times without breaking them. If the painted stick ons aren't soft lead then I don't wan them in my decoy mix.

Thx
    Bill

Boolit Buddy
    The little bricks are likely steel. I've just started hand sorting a bunch of mine here and have been running across a lot of them. Use pliers or wire cutters to separate the lead from the others. Then use a magnet. That will quickly separate the steel from the zinc ones.

I keep mine separate by type (lead/steel/zinc). Just never know when we might end up having to cast zinc bullets...

Cheers!
    _coder

"Necessity is the plea for every infringement of human freedom. It is the argument of tyrants; it is the creed of slaves.” - William Pitt

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by mrbillbus View Post
    Question about stick on wheel weights. I have separated them but I noticed two different types. One is flat and soft and very easy to bend. The other is like little cast bricks. They are painted and appear to be just like the painted COWW in the bucket. Are they all soft lead or just the flat ones?

Besides boolits, I want to make some decoy strap weights for my brother. They need to be pure soft lead so that he can bend them many times without breaking them. If the painted stick ons aren't soft lead then I don't wan them in my decoy mix.

Thx
    Bill
    I have seen the little painted weights you're talking about and they are harder than pure lead. I would throw those in with the clip on weights.
    Ronald Reagan once said that the most terrifying words in the English language are: "I'm from the government and I'm here to help".
    Download my alloy calculator here: http://castboolits.gunloads.com/showthread.php?t=105952

Boolit Bub

Here are a few of my big weights, largest in picture is 16oz. Lots of 10's in that pile!

Boolit Bub

What if you manage to get some zinc weights in your melt?

Is that a problem? That may be what caused the thick layer of foamy gray stuff on top of my lead when smelting WWs today. I just scooped it off but I had not seen this before. (I'm VERY new to this and have only smelted twice before and that was with only 10 lbs of lead.) Thanks.

Boolit Master
    Could be a problem, if there's too much zinc the melt won't pour right, etc.
    Search for zinc here, there are multiple threads about contamination & removal.
    Sort WWs first, and keep your pot below 700º, I think that's the zinc melting point.
    Then the zinc weights will float and you can pick 'em out.
    I thought I had 'em all sorted out last batch, still had a few float up.

Boolit Mold
    Great post. I wish I had read this before doing my recent smelting!

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by fishindad View Post
    Great post. I wish I had read this before doing my recent smelting!
    I cleaned up my first batch of WW about 20 years ago. This site didn't exist then. If the AIMOO site was around then, I didn't know about it. Thankfully there were very few, if any, zinc weights then. I cranked the flame up and had no idea what the temperature was. Luckily the cast iron dutch oven didn't get red hot but I sure did sweat.

Since then I have learned by experience and reading this site. My stash of approx. 2 tons will last as long as I will so I don't anticipate lighting off that propane flame except on the plumbers pot for ladle casting.
    John
    W.TN

Boolit Bub
    An anecdote: My tire shop mechanics told me that this zinc wheelweight issue started in Europe. Apparently the greenies forced the European car manufacturers to develop tire styles/shapes that could be balanced with zinc only weights. Presumeably, substituting our American lead weights would void the European car warranties. Don't know about the Japanese or Korean cars...anybody know for sure? Possibly American cars shipped to Europe have to have zinc weights to pass European import rules...another European trade restriction on American products!

Boolit Buddy
    What a wonderful post to start this thread!

Thanks for the effort, it will help this new boolit caster to not screw it up!

Dan

Boolit Bub
    Great job, Junker! I am new to casting and this post will be an invaluable resource. My last attempt to produced WW ingots resulted in my introduction to contamination via zinc. Thank you very much for the time and effort you've put into this post. You've done many of us a big favor!
    Be strong, and show yourself a man.

Boolit Man
    Great post. I sorted a bunch of WW today. Had several zinc WW. The zinc clips are different from the lead WW. The zinc clips appear to be held on with little rivits and not molded in as are lead WW. For sure they float to the top.

Boolit Buddy
    In my experience, the zinc ones look very similar to the lead with the clip being cast into the weight, the steel weights look like the clip is riveted on. But that's just my experience. Did you take a magnet to those weights?
    _coder

"Necessity is the plea for every infringement of human freedom. It is the argument of tyrants; it is the creed of slaves.” - William Pitt

Boolit Buddy
    Very nice Post and I thank you for your hard work. I have a sorting section in my smelting area consisting of a very large cookie sheet that I dump a large amount of WW on. Using side cutters is slow but very effective. If I can't cut into the WW and leave a mark, then it doesn't make it into the pot. Here in Ca. they are coming up with a lot of new WW designs so having this post to add to is really great. Again, Thanks

Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789 LastLast