MidSouth Shooters SupplyReloading EverythingLee PrecisionLoad Data
Titan ReloadingRepackboxInline FabricationRotoMetals2
Wideners
Page 9 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789

Thread: Guide to Hand Sorting Wheel Weights

Nice explanation

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Boolit Mold
    well, I have some remedial work to do on about 300 lyman ingots. I thought I did a decent job of picking the zinc weights out of the wheelweight bucket but it wasn't good enough. the muriatic acid test showed bubbles so I found a relatively inexpensive source of elemental sulfur to throw in the pot to get rid of the zinc. I never had the oatmeal lumps in my pot but the ingots had a bit of a shine about them which made me a bit suspicious. now I am wondering if the company which makes the COWW has mixed lead and zinc weights a few years ago as part of their recycling process as it doesn't make any difference to them. I'm guessing something less than 1% zinc in my ingots and it isn't much but I wonder if the zinc will affect the Hitek coating ability to stick properly to the bullet. also, how much sulfur should I add to a 50 lb melt to bond with the zinc.

Boolit Man

So far I have had good results remelting the offending bars and holding the temperature less than 700F to get rid of Zinc.
    Zinc melts at 787F has SG of 65 so it floats on top and can be skimmed off.
    Stumbled on it by accident but has worked.

The Zinc might well float off in your casting pot if you keep your temperature down. Cast a few and see what you get.
    Easy to try
    Would be interested in your results.

I have an OLD plumbers burner that uses propane and looks a lot like the modern turkey roaster that I use with a large cast iron pot to cast bars. Likely where they originated. Another "Hay Yo'Al gotta see this".
    I try yo keep it below 750F so the Zinc never melts.

The lead hysteria would make me guess the Zinc weights would be kept lead free.

Boolit Man

WATCH the sulfur fumes it burns, you breath and get H2SO4 AKA sulfuric acid

Boolit Master
    I commented on this before from my experience working with the owner of several very large scrap yards. all sorts of stuff gets mixed up in the pallet boxes bales and bins of lead before it is shipped off by the truckload. I have no experience in what happens to it it once it reaches the smelters or refiners but can imagine its very expensive to purify and separate the different materials once they are all melted together. this is one reason why xrf is so important to the industry to know exactly what is in materials. I'm pretty sure this is why lead recovery from battery recyclers most often ends up being used for new battery construction.

Quote Originally Posted by barsik View Post
    well, I have some remedial work to do on about 300 lyman ingots. I thought I did a decent job of picking the zinc weights out of the wheelweight bucket but it wasn't good enough. the muriatic acid test showed bubbles so I found a relatively inexpensive source of elemental sulfur to throw in the pot to get rid of the zinc. I never had the oatmeal lumps in my pot but the ingots had a bit of a shine about them which made me a bit suspicious. now I am wondering if the company which makes the COWW has mixed lead and zinc weights a few years ago as part of their recycling process as it doesn't make any difference to them. I'm guessing something less than 1% zinc in my ingots and it isn't much but I wonder if the zinc will affect the Hitek coating ability to stick properly to the bullet. also, how much sulfur should I add to a 50 lb melt to bond with the zinc.

Page 9 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789