Load DataRotoMetals2RepackboxInline Fabrication
Titan ReloadingReloading EverythingLee PrecisionSnyders Jerky
Wideners MidSouth Shooters Supply
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: .327 rifle...why not???

Boolit Master

.327 rifle...why not???

I am really surprised that a .327 rifle hasn't shown up yet. A lever action is an obvious platform, but at least a Handi-rifle and ideally a Ruger bolt action, same as the .357.

No, we don't need one, but people buy what they want as much as what they need.

I understand Marlin has its plate full right now, but it seems like a no brainer to me...

...then again, I thought someone was going to come out with a 5mm Remington Magnum rifle when Aguila started making ammunition for it again.

Boolit Grand Master

There will be no supply if there is no demand~
    1Shirt!!
    "Common Sense Is An Uncommon Virtue" Ben Franklin

"Ve got too soon old and too late smart" Pa.Dutch Saying

Boolit Master
    Any 327 Mag break open action rifle and a reamer will get it done!

A Contender is the obvious choice here.
    Roy B
    Massachusetts

www.rvbprecision.com

Boolit Grand Master

I agree, will it fit in a 1892 action? It's an underrated handgun cartridge so it may not be around long enough to make it into carbines. Would be a shame.
    Endowment Life Member NRA, Life Member TSRA, Member WACA, NRA Whittington Center, BBHC
    Smokeless powder is a passing fad! -Steve Garbe
    I hate rude behavior in a man. I won't tolerate it. -Woodrow F. Call, Lonesome Dove
    Some of my favorite recipes start out with a handful of depleted counterbalance devices.

Moderator Emeritus

It is hard enough to find a 357 lever and now you want to slow them down more? I like the idea.
    [The Montana Gianni] Front sight and squeeze

Boolit Master
    There will be no supply if there is no demand~
    ...and sometimes there is no supply when there is a demand:

Ruger .32 H&R Single-Six

Smith & Wesson Model 16 .32 H&R

Colt Python

Ruger #3

Nylon 66

These are all guns that seem to be bringing a price in used condition that would rival what they could be sold for new from the factory.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by bowfin View Post
    I am really surprised that a .327 rifle hasn't shown up yet. A lever action is an obvious platform, but at least a Handi-rifle and ideally a Ruger bolt action, same as the .357.

No, we don't need one, but people buy what they want as much as what they need.

I understand Marlin has its plate full right now, but it seems like a no brainer to me...

...then again, I thought someone was going to come out with a 5mm Remington Magnum rifle when Aguila started making ammunition for it again.
    There are several custom barrel makers that will make you anything you want.

http://www.matchgrademachine.com/gunshop/Order-Barrels/

http://www.bullberry.com/TCbarrels.html

You mention only .32 caliber rifle.
    You do not mention cartridge.
    Have you considered the .32-20 or the .30-M1 carbine?
    Or the .32 Winchester Special ( Probably larger than yuo are looking for. )

First reload: .22 Hornet. 1956.
    More at: http://reloadingtips.com/

"Any man who thinks he can be happy and prosperous by letting the
    government take care of him better take a closer look at the American Indian."
    - Henry Ford

I am not knocking the idea so much as a 327 would likely be in a factory load what some load in a 32-20. I have a 32-20 and like it, but am thinking about cutting the power level of my handloads. I mostly carry with me on my ATC or tractor when I get up fire wood in case I see a coyote or a small game animal. I shot a grouse with it and found it a little more dmaging than I would like. I currently load it with a 120 grain bullet at about 1500. Note when Marlin made these that they did not really go over.

DP

Boolit Master
    Note when Marlin made these that they did not really go over.
    Marlin had the absolute worse timing and patience of any firearms company that ever existed. (The old Marlin company, not the new one owned by Remington)

Marlin did away with their .32-20, .25-20, and .218 Bee just before the Cowboy Action craze. They did away with their 10 gauge Goose gun in 1985, just before turkey populations exploded and steel shot was mandated in 1991.

Boolit Master
    Have you considered the .32-20 or the .30-M1 carbine?
    Actually, if I had either of those, that would be fine.

I do think that the .327 case would be a little better design than either of those, if one were starting from scratch.

Boolit Master
    "If" I were inclined to get a rifle in 327 Federal I think I'd find a nice used Marlin 1894CB in 357 and reline the barrel and make a couple adjustments . And that should be fine !
    Parker's , 6.5mm's and my family in the Philippines

Boolit Buddy
    If some one came out with a leaver gun in 327 I would be first in line to get one. I can't understand why people kind of stay away from the 327 I think if they shot it they would get one. my friend got one and after loading and casting for it he said he was selling his 357. If you have not tried one yet you should give it a try

Boolit Master

I have wanted a 327 for years. The biggest reason for not pulling the trigger is the availability of brass and ammo.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by VA Shooter View Post
    If some one came out with a leaver gun in 327 I would be first in line to get one. I can't understand why people kind of stay away from the 327 I think if they shot it they would get one. my friend got one and after loading and casting for it he said he was selling his 357. If you have not tried one yet you should give it a try

We're not to far from each other !

I'm in Orange Couty which is about 60 miles from Front Royal i think .

I had one of the Ruger SP-101's in 327 when they first came out . the little revolver was nice enough but kinda LOUD . I would assume that will lessen the noise factor some .
    If I had a 1894CB with the 24" barrel relined to 327 Federal . I'd shoot either the Ranch Dog 313-115GC or the Lyman 311316 with a stout load of H-110 and not be afraid to shoot Virginia deer out to say 75 yards !
    Parker's , 6.5mm's and my family in the Philippines

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by bowfin View Post
    ...and sometimes there is no supply when there is a demand:

snip

These are all guns that seem to be bringing a price in used condition that would rival what they could be sold for new from the factory.
    Stating the obvious - the current asking/selling price is influenced by the lack of significant supplies on the market. Some, if not all, of these would not bring sufficient income if there was no shortage in the marketplace.

Ed

Boolit Grand Master

I think the 327 is a dead horse. Because of excessive flame cutting in revolvers many have been recalled and I believe Taurus has dropped the 327 and they are being closed out by CDNN. There just isn't a big demand for the 32's for some reason and I very rarely even get a call for a box of shells for any 32 revolver. I liike the 32 H and R and have a nice Ruger Biisley but never got the bug for a 327. I see no reason a 32 barrel couldn't be fiitted to say a Rossi 92 but it would cost more than the original gun.

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by 6pt-sika View Post
    We're not to far from each other !

I'm in Orange Couty which is about 60 miles from Front Royal i think .

I had one of the Ruger SP-101's in 327 when they first came out . the little revolver was nice enough but kinda LOUD . I would assume that will lessen the noise factor some .
    If I had a 1894CB with the 24" barrel relined to 327 Federal . I'd shoot either the Ranch Dog 313-115GC or the Lyman 311316 with a stout load of H-110 and not be afraid to shoot Virginia deer out to say 75 yards !
    Yea Im down that way from time to time Mom lives at lake of the woods. I cast the Lyman 311008 115 and it does real good in my GP 100 my buddy killed a 5 pt buck with his same boolit and not sure of powder charge went 25 yds DRT

Boolit Buddy
    I would love to have a 327 rifle i have a 1000 rounds of brass
    it is not hard to find in okla.
    Terry

Several bolt guns for sale in 7.62 x 39mm.
    Bottle neck cases run right through a Dillon progressive using a Lee collet neck size die. Or any bushing neck die with a little mica on a brush for case prep. I'm personally not that big a fan of straight wall cases. The way I see it there's not a great vacuum out there waiting to be filled.

Boolit Master

327 rifle

I think a 327 rifle would make an excellent small carbine to carry in the woods. Flexibility in loading gives one loads for squirrels up to deer at close range. The 327 brass allows use of a carbide sizer to speed and simplify reloading. I have two 327 pistols, the Ruger 8 shot BH and a Taurus snubnose. They shoot very well and are as accurate as I can shoot...

It seems many are determined that the 327 is going to die out like the 357 Max. I would hate that because the cartridge certainly fills a niche for me. Since it appears that no one is going to make a rifle in 327 and since I have 3 rifles in 32-20 that will do everything a 327 will do.... I think a 32 caliber wildcat cartridge would be called for.

Something like a 357 necked down to shoot a .313 boolit. Brass would be easy to obtain. Dies could be coated for nonlubed sizing. Not sure of the amount of powder it would hold, but it should be more than the 327...
    Dysfunctional Disturbed Disabled Debonair Navy Veteran
    Swift Boats, Vietnam, 1967-1968.

"You are never too old to learn something stupid."

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast