RepackboxSnyders JerkyTitan ReloadingMidSouth Shooters Supply
Load DataLee PrecisionRotoMetals2Wideners
Reloading Everything Inline Fabrication

Thread: Any experience w/ Mossberg Maverick rifles

Boolit Buddy

Any experience w/ Mossberg Maverick rifles

They have 30-06, 308 and 243. From what I can tell, they are identical to the 100 ATR, minus the lightning trigger. Anyone with personal experience? I was looking at getting on in 30-06.

Boolit Buddy
    I bought one in .308 last spring.

As you surmised, it is a pretty close twin to the ATR. There are a few stock differences, such as bulk (slightly thinner in the forearm), shape of the cheek piece (a bit larger in diameter) and thickness of the recoil pad (not as thick as my 2004 ATR).

I've only shot factory loads of Federal Power Shok and Remington Core Locts, both 150 gr. At first it shot the Core Locts better. However, after approximately two boxes each, the Federals are now holding a tighter group. The group sizes average on either side of 1 1/2" with both brands but the Federals have produced the smallest groups, some of which have been down around 1". I shoot three shot groups due to the thin barrel.

Overall, I like the rifle. I have three ATR's and will likely get another Maverick. Either in .243 or .30-06.

Isaac

Banned

Ive got two ive boughten for grandsons. There nothing special but both shoot real well and have allways gone bang. I guess you cant ask for much more then that for what they sell them for.

I'm glad you all have had good luck with your Mossberg rifles but, I've not. I love the Mossberg shotguns. I've got a model 500 shotgun thats great, but I had a ATR 100 that was a piece of ****. I broke 3 extractors in it and the last time I fixed it I sold it quick.
    Mrs. Hogwallop up and R-U-N-N-O-F-T.

Boolit Grand Master In Remembrance Four Fingers of Death's Avatar
    My mate has some left in his gunshop in 3006 for a real good price. I have a 338 Walnut Patriot and was tempted. He is interstate, so I have to ship to a dealer in this State and that's a bit iffy at the moment. I might stick to the Ruger American, a bit dearer, but in stock here, so no shipping and dealer's handling fees, so it should pan out not much dearer.
    "I'll help you down the trail and proud to!" Rooster Cogburn.

"Slap some bacon on a biscuit and let's go! We're burnin' daylight! " - Will Anderson (John Wayne) "The Cowboys."

SASS Life Member No 82047

http://s89.photobucket.com/albums/k228/4fingermick/

Psycholigist to Sniper; 'What did you feel when you shot the felon Sargeant?'
    Sniper to Psycholigist; 'Recoil Ma'am.'

From my Irish Ancestors: "You've got to do your own growing, no matter how tall your grandfather was."

Boolit Master
    I had the MVP Patrol in .308 a year after they came out. Beavers barf stock, sloppy action, and the mag well was, of all things, plastic. I looked at spending a couple hundred bucks to replace the mag well, the bolt, and stock. In the end, I sold it and bought an AR10 that shot just as well and took AR10 mags, the entire reason I bought it to begin with.

I haven't experimented with a Mossberg rifle since.

Boolit Master
    But...how did it shoot?

Boolit Master
    Decent, nothing to write home about. The stock and action could have been better, certainly, but the trigger was on part with other factory adjustable units.

Boolit Master
    So it is what you would expect from a low budget rifle? Or did it shoot as well as other higher priced rifles?

Sorry for the questions, but, having a 'sloppy action' and plastic mag well don't really mean that much when it comes to how well it shoots. Unless rapidly working the bolt made it jam up? I've fired a number of Mausers with 'sloppy actions' that would shoot within 1 MOA. And I'd rather have some plastic parts than some of the sheet metal I've seen on some guns.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by charlie b View Post
    So it is what you would expect from a low budget rifle? Or did it shoot as well as other higher priced rifles?

Sorry for the questions, but, having a 'sloppy action' and plastic mag well don't really mean that much when it comes to how well it shoots. Unless rapidly working the bolt made it jam up? I've fired a number of Mausers with 'sloppy actions' that would shoot within 1 MOA. And I'd rather have some plastic parts than some of the sheet metal I've seen on some guns.
    The bolt would sometimes hang if you pushed up at all when closing the action, a lot of off-axis travel. The plastic in question was the magazine well, and I have serious misgivings about attaching metal mags to plastic lugs. Accuracy is maybe 1-2MOA depending on the ammo, barrel was nice and beefy. The IKEA stock ended up chipping off in a couple places pretty quickly where it banged into anything.

It wasn't any more or less accurate than a Ruger or Remington of similar price, but it seemed like it was a bunch of good ideas (AR10 mags, 18" threaded heavy barrel, adjustable trigger, safari sights) that didn't meet the mark. The Ruger GSR is a speedier rifle but worth it without a doubt if you want similar features.

Boolit Master
    Thanks. Much better description of the issues.

For what it is styled as, a bolt combat style rifle, the hangup on the bolt would bother me the most.