RepackboxLoad DataLee PrecisionRotoMetals2
Inline FabricationWidenersSnyders JerkyTitan Reloading
MidSouth Shooters Supply Reloading Everything

Thread: Single Six 22mag

Boolit Grand Master

Single Six 22mag

Picked up a Single six today, but it only had the 22mag cylinder. Guy swore that was all it had when he bought it new.

Did Ruger make 22 mag only guns?

Its a Liberty 9.5"bbl. blued gun

Thanks

Boolit Buddy
    I've got into some old Gun Digests here in the library. In my 1971 issue it lists the Ruger Single Six as being available as the Single Six Convertable ( with both cylinders , .22 long rifle and .22 magnum ) and as simply the Single Six, being made available in either .22 long rifle or .22 magnum. In the 1972 Gun Digest edition this revolver was only listed as the Single Six Convertable. Additionally in the book "Standard Catalog of Firearms" it lists that a Single Six .22 Magnum Model was offered for 3 years, but it was only offered in the 6.5" barrel length . The serial number of these Single Six .22 Magnum's are within the 300,000 - 340,000 range. None of the books I have here list a "Liberty " model. Perhaps it was a special run or edition, but again I have no reference to it.

Hope this helps ..... Pete

Boolit Master

It should be a 1976 mfg.

Boolit Grand Master
    Yes, S/N puts it made in 1976. Couldn't find it in my "Blue Book, the "Liberty" model 22mag

Boolit Grand Master In Remembrance
    Did Ruger make 22 mag only guns?
    Its a Liberty 9.5"bbl. blued gun
    Blue Book, 32nd Edition - No
    As for the 'Liberty' being 9 1/2" blued - you might send a picture to Sturm Ruger with the complete roll marking because it was a 6 1/2"barrel known as the Colorado Centennial Super Single Six
    Regards
    John

Boolit Grand Master
    It just has "made in the 200th year of American Liberty". Saw the part in the "blue book" about the Colorado model

Boolit Master

Yes they made 22 mag only guns and I have seen a 9.5 inch model though I do not know if it was a liberty one.
    A gun is like a parachute: If you need one and don't have one, you won't be needing one again.

Boolit Grand Master
    Thanks

All the magnum only guns were Old Model 3 screw guns, made from 1959 to '64. All the Liberty guns were New Models, made in 1976, with Serial numbers in two ranges, 64-22659-94850 and 76-00001-15888, which were the Colorado Centennial Guns. No magnum only guns were made in the New Model Liberty guns, or any other New Model type gun. They made guns with two different type cylinders, a grooved and un-grooved Long Rifle cylinder and fluted and unfluted magnum cylinder. The NR9, with 91/2" barrel should have the unfluted mag cylinder and ungrooved L.R. cylinder and about 6800 were made. This comes from the Reference of Ruger Firearms, Pocket Edition #2.
    McLintock

Boolit Grand Master
    OK, wondered about the 22 mag only. Guess I need to either look for a 22lr cylinder, or send it back to Ruger and get one fitted.

Isn't the .22WMR kinda raucous in a pistol barrel? I mean LOUD!
    Last edited by JeffinNZ; 01-01-2012 at 04:29 PM.
    Thermal underwear style guru.
    "Exclusive international distributor of Jeff Brown Hunt Club clothing."
    Supplier to the rich(?) and infamous.

Cheers from New Zealand

Jeff.

Rockrat, you can often find the 22 L.R. (or mag for that matter) on sites like Gunbroker. Just measure the overall length of your mag cylinder and find one the same or very close to the same length. Much cheaper then sending one back to Ruger, shipping kills ya; good luck.
    McLintock

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by JeffinNZ View Post
    Isn't the .22WMR kinda raucous in a pistol barrel? My mine LOUD!
    Jeff;
    I would say they are earsplitting loud! I have one too, and I seldom use the Mag cylinder. It is no fun to use the 22WMR cylinder without ear protection.

G

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by JeffinNZ View Post
    Isn't the .22WMR kinda raucous in a pistol barrel? I mean LOUD!
    Yes they are - you definitely want hearing protection for a Single Six magnum.
    Even more cool - they kick!
    Not a lot, not like they'll hurt your hand, but there's actual noticeable flips-the-muzzle-upward-a-little recoil.
    I think mine is the bee's knees - it's fun and accurate to shoot but it gets a little expensive as a plinker.
    <
    Uncle R.
    Last edited by Uncle R.; 01-02-2012 at 04:38 PM. Reason: Ding-blanged typos!

Boolit Grand Master

I see quite a few loose cylinders at gun shows for these. Most are 22 lr, some are 22 WMR. I bought the mag cylinder for my SS at a gun show and it headspace perfect.

I did have an old model SS in 22 mag only, but had to have money for life so sold it.

Boolit Buddy
    It should be stamped on the frame "22 Magnum". Have had a couple and always felt the cylinder gap was too wide and yes they were loud. Conversely, I had a 22 mag only Scout and it was pleasant.

A lot of the old convertible SS with non adjustable sights would shoot low with 40 gr ammo. I found that use of Federal 50 gr ammo brings up to POA or there abouts.

Funny this thread popped up. I just (like yesterday) bought a 22lr cylinder off Craigslist from a guy that lives near me. It is actually timed to my gun better than the magnum cylinder. And it was $40!!

Wes
    Last edited by para45lda; 01-13-2012 at 11:21 AM. Reason: fat fingers
    If you're gonna be dumb, you gotta be tough.
    SASS 17373
    Proud Dad of a USAF Airman