Reloading EverythingSnyders JerkyLee PrecisionRepackbox
Titan ReloadingLoad DataInline FabricationRotoMetals2
Wideners MidSouth Shooters Supply

Thread: Thumler tip

Boolit Buddy

Thumler tip

Love my Thumler tumbler. After 1 year of use, I removed the rubber liner and found some rust in the steel container. Will remove the rust, prime, and paint and plan on removing the liner after each use. Some sort of lube to help make the liner removal
    on the rubber bin would be a nice touch.

I use ss pins, cheap dish detergent, and ascorbic acid and brass, primer pocket are as new after 1 - 2 hours. Quiet, and no electric shaver sound running for hours....

Boolit Master

YEP!!! the Thumblers Tumblers definitely need painted under the rubber liner for rust prevention.

If you read the threads here and on other threads STAINLESS STEEL TUMBLING you can pick up many TIPS, like replacing the wing-nut with a specific Anti-Vibration Knobs that are more efficient.

I'll PM You.

What are ss pins? where do you find ascorbic acid? My father has a thumler and I have had very limited success with it. I've used many different concocsions. The best was sand followed with news paper then shop towel paper towels torn up and a liquid polish. This took forever. I would love to be able to use this tool, it just sits.
    Nathan

Casting and reloading novice

Boolit Master
    Drklynoon SS stainless steel pins. The citric acid, I get mine in the grocery store. In the dish washing isle. Lemi-shine. Its for dishwashers.
    The lemi-shine can be used by itself to soak the tarnish away. Or it can be an additive with the SS pins. There is a long thread in the stickies about it. Kevin

Stainless Steel medis is by far the best way to tumble.
    Expensive? Yes but once you buy the tumbler and media....
    This is 50BMG brass tumbled for 4 hour's.

Black Powder 100%

Livingston, La. 20 miles east of Baton Rouge, La.

Thumblers Tumbler

I have used a model B since the 70's and as far as I'm concerned it's the best way to clean brass.
    drklynoon, while the steel pins seem to be the current rage you don't have to have them to be happy.
    Go on the web and find you some ceramic angle media and also some ball type that is about 3mm. Mix the two together and put them into your tumbler by themselves with out brass. Add water to cover all the media and then add a good squirt of Dawn/Oxy. The one with Oxy cleans better. Run your Media for about three hours and then stop and rinse out all the soap well. Repeat this step again as it is important to break in the media.
    Then add your brass to your tumbler. Use only enough media to cover the brass so that it may not be seen. The next step is to add water to about 1/4 inch or so above the media. DON'T put any more than this. Add the good squirt of Dawn/OXY and run for about three hours. Pour out the entire contents into a stainless steel colander and rinse very well until all brass is clean of soap. Pick out brass and place on towel or paper to dry. It may be necessary to use a pick to remove any stuck ceramic from the bottom of a case.
    Your brass should appear like it did when new. If you decap first the primer pockets will also be clean.
    The product called Lemi-Shine may be found at Wally World in the dishwashing section. It works very well but be careful as it will remove the nickel from the cases if too much is used. one tablespoon per load is plenty. Good Luck David
    Shooter of the "HOLY BLACK" SASS 81802 AKA FAIRSHAKE; NRA ; BOLD; WARTHOG;Deadwood Marshal;Bayou Bounty Hunter; So That his place shall never be with those cold and timid souls who neither know victory nor defeat; 44 WCF filled to the top, 210 gr. bullet

I appreciate the advice guys. I have always tried to run the ol' mans dry. I've never thought about why the thing was rubber lined lol. I thought it was to reduce noise. I will certainely look into these methods thanks again and sorry for the hijak.
    Nathan

Casting and reloading novice

Quote Originally Posted by cajun shooter View Post
    I have used a model B since the 70's and as far as I'm concerned it's the best way to clean brass.
    drklynoon, while the steel pins seem to be the current rage you don't have to have them to be happy.
    Go on the web and find you some ceramic angle media and also some ball type that is about 3mm. Mix the two together and put them into your tumbler by themselves with out brass. Add water to cover all the media and then add a good squirt of Dawn/Oxy. The one with Oxy cleans better. Run your Media for about three hours and then stop and rinse out all the soap well. Repeat this step again as it is important to break in the media.
    Then add your brass to your tumbler. Use only enough media to cover the brass so that it may not be seen. The next step is to add water to about 1/4 inch or so above the media. DON'T put any more than this. Add the good squirt of Dawn/OXY and run for about three hours. Pour out the entire contents into a stainless steel colander and rinse very well until all brass is clean of soap. Pick out brass and place on towel or paper to dry. It may be necessary to use a pick to remove any stuck ceramic from the bottom of a case.
    Your brass should appear like it did when new. If you decap first the primer pockets will also be clean.
    The product called Lemi-Shine may be found at Wally World in the dishwashing section. It works very well but be careful as it will remove the nickel from the cases if too much is used. one tablespoon per load is plenty. Good Luck David
    How much for 5lbs of this media,and where can I get some?
    I might give it a try

Use Lemi-Shine (which you can purchase at Wal-Mart) along with a Detergent, I use Dawn...
    Check out this site:

http://www.longrangehunting.com/arti...a-review-1.php
    Alan (Doc -)
    IYAAYAS