RotoMetals2Lee PrecisionLoad DataRepackbox
Reloading EverythingWidenersSnyders JerkyTitan Reloading
Inline Fabrication MidSouth Shooters Supply
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: RCBS 35-200-FN holy cow, what an awsome boolit!

Boolit Grand Master

RCBS 35-200-FN holy cow, what an awsome boolit!

I finally broke down and bought the RCBS 35-200-FN mold because I had tried some of them in one of my rifles and have heard nothing but rave reviews from everybody who has used them.
    I got the mold yesterday, and found it to be well made and nicely finished and it came in a nice little green box.
    Today, I decided to slip this baby under the silver stream and see how it does.
    Heres my pot heating up with the mold to the side and my special castboolits coffee cup in the background. (just for the record I just set my coffee there for visual effect, I keep my cup well away from the melt normally)

So I cast up about 100 boolits. The mold worked well, although it took a while to get broke in and the boolits stuck to the left side like glue for the first 30 cycles. I took a break at that point and when I started back up, it was less picky.
    After casting those 100, I decided to sort them by wieght, and thats when the quality of this mold realy started to shine. out of those 100 boolits, the maximum spread of weight was 1.5 grains.
    I found about ten boolits that were 207.0-207.5 grains and I culled them out. I got 5 that where less than 206 and I culled them out. Other than that, I had a pile of 62 that where 206.5-206.9 and I had 38 that were 206.0-206.4. I culled the 38 and kept the 62. I took an unbiased sampling of the boolits and measured them with my precision micrometer. They all measured .3593
    Next I put on the annealed gas checks and and ran them through a .360 sizer.
    After pan lubing with FWFL I loaded them in my .358winchester brass over a mild charge of IMR3031.
    I headed to the range with 50 rounds thus loaded.
    I started out figuring to slam a bunch of them through a target just to see if they hit the paper at fifty yards.
    Here's the group I shot:

That's 25 rounds fellers! 25!
    By the way, thats a darn sight better than what I got at the same distance with copper jacket boolits:

After that, I decided to hunker down and do some serious shootin to see what this baby can do!
    I taped up a new target, adjusted my scope, fired seven shots, adjusted my scope one last time, and fired a 5 shot group.
    Here's that target (please forgive those two fliers, I punched the trigger) :

That makes this one of the most accurate rifles I own, at least at 50 yards.
    Absolutely amazing.
    Precision in the wrong place is only a placebo.

Banned

Glad to see groups like that, I hope to get them results with my 30-06. BTW is that a coleman dual fuel stove??? I got one just like it and thought about using it but worried about the pump up part.

Excellent, Mr. Goodsteel. I have thought about that mould to feed my .35 Rem. but have no yet acted upon the thought. Perhaps I will now.
    Dan

Boolit Master

We kept trying to tell ya....

Doug

Boolit Master
    Hi,
    Happy with mine and hope to do as well with my old Rem.141 rifle in 35 Rem.
    Last edited by seagiant; 03-18-2012 at 08:01 PM.

Boolit Grand Master

That's a regular coleman stove. Its all I have ever used.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by goodsteel View Post
    That's a regular coleman stove. Its all I have ever used.
    You might want to consider moving up into the 21st century.
    Political correctness is a national suicide pact.

I am a sovereign individual, accountable
    only to God and my own conscience.

Boolit Grand Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Hickory View Post
    You might want to consider moving up into the 21st century.
    what does that have to offer
    looks as though he is doing just fine
    Hit em'hard
    hit em'often

Boolit Master

I, too, started out with a Coleman stove.

It did not take me long to realize that an electric pot was the way to go.
    1) No toxic fumes to worry about.
    2) No dangerous fuel to deal with.
    3) Conveniences of electric outlets.
    4) Can cast indoors in the winter with proper ventilation.

But, maybe I'm wrong to suggest to anyone a better way.
    Political correctness is a national suicide pact.

I am a sovereign individual, accountable
    only to God and my own conscience.

Boolit Grand Master

I started casting over an old natural gas 2 burner stove many, many years ago. I graduated to an electric pot and found I did not like it so returned to the natural gas stove. I have also used a Coleman stove and now use a propane stove.

The electric pot was a different but not better way... at least for me. I prefer the gas stove and ladle pouring. It has served me well for most of 45 years.

Different strokes.

Longbow

Boolit Master
    I'd be curious to see what that boolit would od in my Marlin 336 in .35 Rem.

Boolit Man
    Quote Originally Posted by Lefty SRH View Post
    I'd be curious to see what that boolit would od in my Marlin 336 in .35 Rem.
    This bullet design sized to .360 shoots very well in Marlin micro-grooved rifles. Ramshot Tac or H4895 have been my go to powders for my Marlin 336C in 35 Rem. Good bullet for whitetail deer when cast from wheel weights.

Banned

I need to get one of those molds. I have the 200 grain Lyman RN, but am hearing from everybody how great the RCBS bullet is. I have an old Marlin and a Remington 700 to feed.

Boolit Grand Master

Want to try it? I'll send you some. Shoot me a PM.

Banned

Cool! PM sent.

Boolit Grand Master
    I was thinking about getting the Ranchdog mold for my Marlin, but the more I think about it, the more I am leaning towards the RCBS boolit. It should work well in my Whelen and hopefully in the soon to be .358 Norma Magnum.

Just waiting on tax time.

Robert

Boolit Grand Master

From what I hear, this boolit is the cats in everything from 38 Special to 358 norma. I don't know quite why its so good, but I'm not complaining.
    Part of what makes it work is the bore riding nose, but its a very small bore riding nose that is only .095 tall. I have tried other designs that didn't cut the mustard and had a much longer bore riding nose. I tell you one thing for darn sure, If I knew of a boolit that worked this good in every caliber I own, I would be broke very quickly.

By the way, I am just waiting on this stove to bite the dust and then I will get an electric pot, but for the moment, I will just have to deal with only having to wait 20 minutes to melt 30Lb,s of lead, and having infinite control over the temperature.
    Its been 10 years so far though and the darned thing wont die. My last stove bit the dust, and I was about to start scraping my money together for the electric one when my sister gave me her ex-husbands colman stove......for free. There it sits in the picture, doing the same thing it has been doing since I got it.
    I confess though, sometimes I wonder about the bottom pour feature and if it works any better than what I have got.
    Last edited by MBTcustom; 12-31-2011 at 12:44 AM.

Boolit Grand Master

Yep, this really is an outstanding bullet design. It's done very well in everything I've shot it from including my 357 mag 10" FA revolver. That revolver and the RCBS 35 200 fired a perfect 60x60 and won me a State Championship in long range revolver. I give full credit to the gun & the bullet, the FA was simply kind enough to allow me to hold it while it did it's business.

Rick
    "The people never give up their freedom . . . Except under some delusion." Edmund Burke

"Let us remember that if we suffer tamely a lawless attack on our liberty, we encourage it." Samuel Adams

NRA Benefactor Life Member
    CRPA Life Member

Boolit Master

Probably, "the best" .35 bullet design. My old .35 Remington Marlin loves 'em./beagle
    diplomacy is being able to say, "nice doggie" until you find a big rock.....

Boolit Grand Master

Hey MK42gunner, While you are waiting on those taxes, you want me to send you a few of these? PM me.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast