WidenersSnyders JerkyLoad DataInline Fabrication
Titan ReloadingLee PrecisionReloading EverythingRotoMetals2
Repackbox MidSouth Shooters Supply
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Winchester 38-55 High Wall

Question Winchester 38-55 High Wall

Need some advise. I have my eye on a Winchester High Wall 38-55. I believe they have been discontinued. The price is in the $1,300-$1,500 area. I shoot cast bullets,reduced smokeless in an original Ballard #9 38-55. I breech seat because the groove diameter is .386 and the bore is .380. This is not unusual in the oldtimers; they shot pure lead and black powder and assumed they would get dirty fast; therefore the big grooves. I would like to shoot easy fixed cast ammo in a 38-55. Just love that caliber! Question, is the Winchester worth the price? Thanks guys.

last one I saw at a gun show was in that price range, must be typical.

Rick

It worth the price if you want it bad enough! My High Thickwall, 1st year prod. 38-55 was alot less than that though..

Boolit Buddy
    waltp current 1885 winchester hi walls are great rifles I have one in 45-90 will out shoot me! buffalo arms has 38-55 for about 1150.00 but those cresent butt plates are a bear!!! in 45-90 38-55 piece of cake

Boolit Master
    Are we talking about orig. rifles or Italian knockoffs? Orig's. in good condition go for alot more than the figures here.

Boolit Grand Master

It sounds like they are talking modern Browning or Winchester 1885's. I have two of them (a Browning BPCR in .40/65 and a Browning Creedmoor in .45/90). Both are superbly accurate and fine rifles in every regard.

However, all of those need a "McGee Trigger Fix". After the "fix" you will have a VERY nice 2-2 1/4 lbs crisp, creep free trigger pull.

Dale53

MTChambers-It is a modern Winchester 1885

Dale53- Pardon my ignorance, but what is a "McGee Trigger Fix"?

Boolit Buddy
    waltp the one that I seen at buffalo arms is a limited edition run from winchester out of their miroku plant in japan I have one in 45-90 fit and finish is really nice. nice smooth action 4 pound trigger good for hunting and mines very accurate with black loads 500+pills. a original winchester high wall in 38-55 around my neck of the woods would run you 2500+ for something shootable it would be a good investment
    If you buy it right the Brownings and winchesters have been coming from the MIROKU plant from the 70's I believe

Boolit Master

Price sounds high to me. I have the Browning, bought used under $1000.00 last year. Brownings have better wood and finish. I'd look for one of them even at a higher price. I've seen the Wins at around $1200.00.
    Gus

Boolit Buddy
    with the brownings you really to not make the mistake on buying the b78 model because of no tang and do know you can put a tang sight but it's not correct and I'AM not sure they made them 38-55 but they made them 45-70 those you can pick up 600.00 to 900.00 I KNOW where there is two new B78 45-70 on the shelf 950.00 each and they been there a long time nothing wrong with B78 but you are for the most part going to scope it at least for me.

IN MY EARLIER POST WHAT MENT TO SAY 2500.00+ FOR A PRE MIROKU HIGH WALL
    Last edited by boommer; 03-02-2007 at 02:20 PM.

Not clear what model you're talking about. If it's the "Traditional Hunter" variation of the theme, it has a blued receiver and a tang with a Marbles aperture sight -- along with a dovetailed open sight on the barrel and a bead on the front.

Those typically go for 1000 bucks. However, they are rare as hen's teeth and very desirable because of the low recoil associated with the 38-55 caliber. The crescent buttplate is no problem in this caliber because it is relatively mild.

Boolit Grand Master

The "McGee Trigger Fix" is outlined in an article I wrote a number of years ago. It is a step by step "do it yourself" project (or you can take the article to your favorite gunsmith for the completion). If you get the rifle or have a modern Browning or Winchester 1885 (including the .22 rimfire low-wall) just send me a PM and I'll e-mail you a copy of the article. If you follow the directions EXACTLY, step by step you will end up with a 2 1/4-2½ lb trigger pull with zero creep.

After I got my eagerly awaited Browning BPCR (one of the early ones) I was MUCH dissatisfied with the trigger. The supplied adjustment was a joke. Typical "lawyer trigger". I knew better than to take the action apart. It is VERY difficult to reassemble- DO NOT GO THERE. However, to better see the action "innerds" I pulled the wood off. Careful examination showed me a way....

Dale53

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Dale53 View Post
    The "McGee Trigger Fix" is outlined in an article I wrote a number of years ago. It is a step by step "do it yourself" project (or you can take the article to your favorite gunsmith for the completion). If you get the rifle or have a modern Browning or Winchester 1885 (including the .22 rimfire low-wall) just send me a PM and I'll e-mail you a copy of the article. If you follow the directions EXACTLY, step by step you will end up with a 2 1/4-2½ lb trigger pull with zero creep.

After I got my eagerly awaited Browning BPCR (one of the early ones) I was MUCH dissatisfied with the trigger. The supplied adjustment was a joke. Typical "lawyer trigger". I knew better than to take the action apart. It is VERY difficult to reassemble- DO NOT GO THERE. However, to better see the action "innerds" I pulled the wood off. Careful examination showed me a way....

Dale53
    Hey Dale,

Will that McGee fix work on my Uberti High Wall? If so, I would love a copy of that article.
    Founder of the Single Shot section.

A government big enough to give you everything you want is big enough to take everything you have.

8 in the 10 ring, then I get a PING. Love my Garand.

I've got the Browning version that I bought in 1999 or 2000, and they're just great rifles, is the best I can say. Sent the trigger to Lee Shaver 3-4 years ago and he put a really nice trigger let off on it; one of 3 he did for me. Came up with what I figure are two really good loads for it; 18 gr of IMR 4227 with 245 gr plain base bullet. Shot this group with it at 100 yards:

It's my up to 250-300 yard load.
    Then, for 300 yards and up, I came up with this load, 31 grs of 3031 and a 265 gr gas check like the Lyman one. It shot this group that convinced me it's as good as I can do with my limited rifle shooting abilities.

The barrel slugged at .376 or 7 (can't remember which now), but I shoot .380 plain bases and .381 gas check bullets. Both loads are extremely consistent, and never vary at all, no wild shots or anything like that unless I cause it. The 3031 load was listed as a favorite deer and black bear load for the 38-55 in a 2004 or 5 Gun Digest article on the old timers and good loads for them; I was shooting it long before I saw that article though. I'm still using the factory sights except for putting on a lower front bead so I can reach out to 500 yards or so when it's needed. I've won 2 National Championships for the single shot rifle in Cowboy Action Shooting with that load and I'm trying for a third tomorrow at Ben Avery Shooting Range in Phoenix.
    One more thing, I tried the Mcgee Trigger fix on my BPCR, but when I did this, as the trigger was going away and I was trying to get one last shot, I decided to send the triggers to Lee Shaver:

Get the gun, you'll never regret it if you really like single shots.
    McLintock
    Last edited by McLintock; 03-06-2007 at 02:13 PM.

Boolit Master

Best of luck, Sir, and please tell us how it went.

Mark

Thanks for the encouragement Nueces, I'll probably need a little luck to do well. You don't know the distance, no sighters, you just go out, sit down and shoot ten shots at a target somewhere between 250 and 300 yards, as fast as you can. If your sights aren't set right, you're dead from the get-go. In 2004, I won by less then 1 1/2 seconds over the 2nd place guy, so you don't have much room for error, like dropping rounds, fumbling a chambering, or anything like that. We'll see. By the way, the 265 gr'ers I use came from Texas, Hunter Supply, only place I could find .381 bullets at the time I ordered them. My Lyman mould for the same bullet won't go over .379.
    Thanks again,
    McLintock

Boolit Master

That does sound like a great rifle match. As the returning Champ, I'd think you to be less worried than anybody else. Here's to a fine day for all of you.

By the way, I did all my military flying training in your area, Willy, Tucson, Luke, 30 years ago. To this day, I have great fondness for south central Arizona. I loved how I could just park the old Scout and head for the hills with a good gun. Nice country.

Mark

Quote Originally Posted by McLintock View Post
    Thanks for the encouragement Nueces, I'll probably need a little luck to do well. You don't know the distance, no sighters, you just go out, sit down and shoot ten shots at a target somewhere between 250 and 300 yards, as fast as you can. If your sights aren't set right, you're dead from the get-go. In 2004, I won by less then 1 1/2 seconds over the 2nd place guy, so you don't have much room for error, like dropping rounds, fumbling a chambering, or anything like that. We'll see. By the way, the 265 gr'ers I use came from Texas, Hunter Supply, only place I could find .381 bullets at the time I ordered them. My Lyman mould for the same bullet won't go over .379.
    Thanks again,
    McLintock

that is one dead chrony.

Rick

To all- Thanks for all the replies Great information! What a great place to learn. I have been searching the web and found that NEF, in Gardner MA, makes a single shot target model in 38-55. I know it is an economy model compared to the Winchester 1885; Japanese made. Has anyone had any experience with it? Again thanks for the help.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast