Lee PrecisionTitan ReloadingMidSouth Shooters SupplyReloading Everything
RepackboxRotoMetals2Snyders JerkyInline Fabrication
Wideners Load Data

Thread: How to make a fitted leather case?

Boolit Buddy

How to make a fitted leather case?

I have one of the little Browning .22 Automatic rifles that I always thought would look neat in a fitted, leather-covered case. It's a take-down rifle, so would end up like a fancy O/U shotgun.

The box itself will be easy—I have a stack of 1/2" oak—but I haven't been able to find any details on the leather covering online. I'd have to hand-sew the edges, and would use solid brass corners. I just don't know how the leather is attached to the box. Anyone able to help?

Thanks,

Richard
    Plans and dreams are what we have until life gets in the way.

XNGH E Clampus Vitus, Platrix Chapter No. 2 "Credo Quia Absurdum"

Boolit Master

Contact Cement ! Buy the good stuff made by Borden at True Value or Ace Hardware.
    You Know You Might Be Facing your DOOM , if all you get is a click, Instead of a BOOM !

If God had wanted us to have Plastic gun stocks he would have planted plastic Trees !

Er, I have made a few fitted cartridge cases for some London shops that you'd recognise the names of...

The BEST way to fit the leather is by sewing and/or bifurcated copper rivets

If the leather is glued on - how can it be easily removed in case repair jobs need doing?

The external corners where the leather sides meet will be box stitched. The upper edges of the leather will look best with a creased edge to them...this area is where you can add a few stiches THROUGH the inner wood liner to keep the outer leather in place...
    Yes, sounds impossible, but it IS how these things have been made for a couple of hundred years at least: and they learned how to/and how no-to by trial an error

Hope this snippet of info helps - look forward to seeing your case!

I keep meaning to do a similar project myself for my 1897 take-down...just never have time for it!!