Inline FabricationMidSouth Shooters SupplyLoad DataRepackbox
Reloading EverythingLee PrecisionTitan ReloadingWideners
RotoMetals2
Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: Reloading a fired primer

Boolit Buddy
    I see these plastic caps that look like percussion caps for muzzle loaders .There for the more modern cap guns .They come in rings like for a revolver and also in rows you break them off one by one .I wonder if the material in them could be removed with out crumbling .They look like there about primer size. Arnie

Boolit Bub
    Do any here remember spoke guns with 71/2 shot being the boolit and match heads being the propellant? That was where my life long enjoyable passion of launching boolits began. If anyone is going to work with any explosive make sure you are well grounded! No pun intended. Cesar Chavez lost over half the people he sent to make things that go boom. I also used sissors to trim the rool caps but I think the way shown would definitely be better if mass producing. I've used strike anywhere matches as both primer and propellant.

Why could you not do this with once fired rimfire brass? I read somewhere that they found 44 rimfire brass on the field after the little big horn battle that had been hit 3 & 4 times and some reloaded 44 rimfire ammo with match heads powder & round balls in them for the 44 henry's?
    "The good sense of the people will always be found to be the best army.They may be led astray for a moment,but will soon correct themselves" - Thomas Jefferson

I wasn't Born in the south but I got there as soon as I could.
    I like this site. MOSTLY good people. good ideas.

Those who live by the sword get shot by those who don't!!
    "Either this man is dead or my watch has stopped." — Groucho Marx

"We are born naked, wet, and hungry. Then things get worse"

Boolit Master

deleted
    Last edited by SSGOldfart; 01-05-2012 at 08:34 AM.

making your own primers

Quote Originally Posted by Bwana View Post
    I had to chuckle a little on that one. Five hundred of each on hand, and so they "stay fresh". I'm feeling a little "poorly" because my stash has dropped a little below 20,000. Some of the primers I'm using came from my mother-inlaw's third husband's estate. They were purchased, according to the date written on the boxes, as far back as 1974. They work just fine. There were right at 29,000 of them when I got them and they account for about 10,000 of my current inventory.
    I realize 500 primers and "keeping them fresh" rotating stock sounds silly. However, a stock of 29000 primers in case you need them including 10,000 inheired primers almost could be concluded as hoarding stuff. I don't know about you guys but if the chips were down and your life depended upon the primers, which would you use. The newer ones for me. I am sure someone will inherit most of those 29000 primers before they are used up. Be Safe

Quote Originally Posted by ReloaderEd View Post
    I realize 500 primers and "keeping them fresh" rotating stock sounds silly. However, a stock of 29000 primers in case you need them including 10,000 inheired primers almost could be concluded as hoarding stuff. I don't know about you guys but if the chips were down and your life depended upon the primers, which would you use. The newer ones for me. I am sure someone will inherit most of those 29000 primers before they are used up. Be Safe

I'm not Bwana, but I have about 25,000 primers on the shelf right now and that won't get me through the end of this year. I'm completely out of SP Mag and very low on SP.

None of them were "inherited", I had to pay for every one of them, and except for a small amount of very old CCI I picked up at a yard sale, the oldest of them are less than three years old.

When I get below 5000 of a particular style I start getting a little antsy.

Jerry
    Buzzard's luck!! Can't kill nothin', nothin'll die!!

Banned
    Inherited. Do you realize how silly your post is? You imply that they didn't cost me anything. Perhaps you missed the part about the MIL third husband. She likes me; but, not that much. Hoarding stuff; and your problem with people having more than you rears it's ugly head. There are people who are gun owners and shoot those guns a little bit and then there are people who are shooters that own guns and shoot them a lot. I happen to be one of the latter. I burn through at least 15,000 a year. So, let's see, that would be around two years worth if they were mostly small pistol primers, which they are not. Now that I have taken the time to educate you, please take the time to think before commenting on my posts in the future. Thank you.

Boolit Grand Master
    Knock it off.

I'm just a grunt here like everybody else and I have no authority to go given' out orders. But there ain't no need or call for a 'urination competition'. If you ain't got nothin' nice to say, don't post.

Boolit Master
    If you shoot a lot, and a lot of different cartridges, then a working stock of, oh, let's pick a number out of the air,... hmmmm,... say 29,000,... is not very many. I buy primers by the case.
    SP, SP mag, SR, SR mag, LP, LP mag, LR, LR mag, CCI #34 and #41, Benchrest LR, and a few others. So, excluding shotgun, that can easily be over 100K, and it's ONLY a working stock. No hoarding about it. Like I said, if you shoot a lot, and a lot of different stuff, it's nothing more than a working stock. Besides, when I find a primer at a really good sale price, I get a case.
    It ain't rocket science, it's boolit science.

Boolit Buddy
    Back when we had the primer shortage a couple of years ago, I looked into what it would take to reload a primer. The chemicals seem to be available rather cheaply from the fireworks chemical supply companies. I would have to be really desperate before I would attempt working on something that small though. My old eyes are such that I even hate loading something as small as a 9mm. To compensate, the last rifle that I bought was a .45-70...

Due to the HAZMAT shipping charge, many people buy a lot larger quantities of primers and powder than they might reasonably need in the foreseeable future. My local gun shop quit handling reloading components, so I ordered some online a couple of years ago during the primer shortage. Ended up with around 40K, IIRC -- SPM and LPM. Probably should have ordered some rifle primers also. I'm currently using the pistol primers in the rifle calibers that I'm reloading. So far, so good...

Banned
    Jim,
    Your wish is my command:

Re: A day late?

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Bwana
    Jim,
    Your post: "Knock it off.

I'm just a grunt here like everybody else and I have no authority to go given' out orders. But there ain't no need or call for a 'urination competition'. If you ain't got nothin' nice to say, don't post."
    Just curious, that was posted about 24 hours late by my reckoning. In case you haven't figured out by my posts, I won't put up with people disparaging me for no good reason. If there is a good reason I'll be the first to make things right. There are far too many people who want to talk out their rearends. That is fine as long as they don't bring me into it. So, if your post was intended for me, I have given it its due and I am driving on.
    Best Regards,
    Bwana.

You should post that publicly.

Boolit Master

The cost of chems starts at about $0.80 for 1,000 primers. If someone is going to reload primers beyond playing a little, tooling is needed.

Chinese made caps aren't very evenly spaced between the powder and can only be use with simple tooling to do one at a time or very complex tooling. But, German made caps are very evenly spaced and one can easily make tooling that matches the powder position.

The German brand is "Legends of the Wild West".

Banned
    On a thread related note, I was digging around in a shelf unit in the garage last week and found a primer box that contained 36 LP primers that had been "recharged" with two caps each. These have been, according to my records, sitting around since Aug 1994. At least that is the last time I did any work with them. I took one apart to ascertain how many caps it had. I then took five of them and primed 44 Mag cases and checked to see how many would fire. They all fired. So, that leaves me with 30 to play with. I'll make up some loads in the coming days and post the results here when I get them.
    Last edited by Bwana; 01-14-2012 at 01:22 PM. Reason: sp

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by perotter View Post
    The cost of chems starts at about $0.80 for 1,000 primers. If someone is going to reload primers beyond playing a little, tooling is needed.

Chinese made caps aren't very evenly spaced between the powder and can only be use with simple tooling to do one at a time or very complex tooling. But, German made caps are very evenly spaced and one can easily make tooling that matches the powder position.

The German brand is "Legends of the Wild West".
    So where do you find this brand of caps? I bought, back in 1994, nine packages of eight boxes each (250 per box so 18,000 caps) of "American West" brand that were made in Canada. I also have a sealed bag containing a 2000 pack of Black Cat firecrackers.

Boolit Master

I would have bought the "Legends of the Wild West" caps at some chain store. Kmart, Walmart, Shopko or Fleet Farm. But it could have been at the grocery store.

Edit:

I hope nobody took this as being smart *** answer. Although I didn't buy them there, I see that Walgreens sells them.
    Last edited by perotter; 01-15-2012 at 10:50 AM. Reason: make clear

Banned
    Well I loaded up those two cap primers using firecracker powder to fill them before seating. I got about 4 primers per BlackCat firecracker. As I described earlier, I used .250" bread bag discs to prevent powder leakage into the case. I made two different types of loads for my 44 Mag. One used some of my 238gr Hybrid bullets and 24grs of H-110 powder(bullet length .690" seating depth .320"). In addition I loaded up three additonal cases (all were FC) with WLP primers as a control. All of these rounds fired with no delay in ignition. Velocity averaged 1200fps for the cap primers and 1265fps for the WLP loads. The other load was PMC cases and the Lee 248gr RN cast boolit. Boolit length .740" and seating depth .340" using 7.0 gr of Unique. Again a control load using WLP was also loaded. The cap primer loads this time had a slight delay in four out of ten rounds. No delay with WLP control load. Velocity was 835fps with cap loads and 870fps with WLP rounds. I suspect the delay with the Unique rounds was due to powder position. Five of each load, along with the control rounds, were ran over the cronograph and the rest fired at 25yds and resulted in three inch groups. Not too bad considering how cold it was and that there was a 20mph wind. That concludes the report.

Boolit Master

Bwana,

Something you may want to try with the Unique load is to mix some smokeless power with the firecracker powder. This would give you more hot gasses and increase the pressure that the primer creates. Firecracker powder has a lot of hot particles, but is low in hot gas.

I believe the pressure you had was to low to ignite the Unique correctly. And what was happening was primer was igniting a small quantity of the Unique and when the pressure for that burning got to the proper level the rest of the Unique started igniting.

The smokeless powder in the primer should be as fine a possible.

Banned
    My test was primarily to see if the primers, which had been the garage, all year long for ten plus years in an unsealed primer box, would still work. Also to see the velocity differential between them and regular primers with the same load. I deliberately chose a lower pressure load for each powder in case someone tried to duplicate the test. There are some who doubt the long term viability of cap primers. I think the test put that concern to rest.

Boolit Mold
    In the past I made primer cups and load with a mix from safety matches heads , glass powder , chalk, firecracker powder and red phosphorus from matches box strip.
    That mix was reliable cheaper and good for long time storage but corrosive for the barrel.
    I use safety matches because I don`t find strikeanywhere matches and using acetone and a knife,I take down the strip with red phosphorus
    Most of my priming mix is 50% match head , 25% red phosphorus, 15% firecracker powder for better ignition and a little chalk for safety storage ,glass powder for rise the sensitivity
    All the best

Boolit Master

otonel,

Didn't you post on a different forum that you used lead peroxide for oxidizer in the mix once? On one of the science forum I think.

Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast