Snyders JerkyRotoMetals2Load DataReloading Everything
MidSouth Shooters SupplyRepackboxLee PrecisionWideners
Inline Fabrication Titan Reloading
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: peep sight

Boolit Bub

peep sight

I want to take my Win 94 sears model out of the cabinet next season and use my ranchdog boolits thru it. How would you guys rate the Williams peep sight for the win 94? I cant seem to get it to shoot with the stock sight.

Boolit Master
    I much prefer an aperture sight to an open sight. Search "peep", "aperture", etc. on various forums and you'll get a lot of opinions. The Williams foolproof is a very good sight with click adjustments, but so is their less expensive 5D which is basically a Foolproof without the micrometer adjustments.

Boolit Buddy
    Sam: I currently use Williams Foolproof, Lyman 66 and Redfield micrometer receiver sights on my Marlin and Win lever actions. I too have trouble getting acceptable accuracy with the factory open sights. But with any of these quality made "peep" sights, I can regularly get group sizes similar to the same rifle and load using a scope (Marlin rifles). So, I have no reason to believe I would not get the same accuracy from my Winchesters, for which I do not own scopes. One huge improvement, in addition to the receiver sight, is to mount a flat-top post front sight in place of the bead. You won't believe the difference until you try it! Higgins mentioned the Williams 5D sight, and it is a good one. But the ease of adjusting your point of impact to exactly where you want it is a great advantage of the micrometer "click" adjustmemnt models. Merry Christmas, Ed

Boolit Bub
    thanks, and merry christmas!

Boolit Master

I had to trim my brass back quite a bit to get the RanchDog bullet to chamber in my 1962 Model 94. Shot well though once I got it to fit my chamber.

+1 on the Williams and Lyman receiver aperture sights. I have them on several rifles. Don't forget the XS Sights sight set either. I have one on my Savage Model 99 (308 Win), and on one of my Ruger No. 1 rifles (9.3x74R). I use XS front sights on everything!

Boolit Master
    I too prefer a flat top post front sight. Here's my brief report on my results with a Lyman 17a front sight with interchangeable inserts on my 336, in conjunction with a Lyman 66LA rear sight. Much easier for me to hit with than the original bead.

http://castboolits.gunloads.com/showthread.php?t=136074

Boolit Master at Heavens Range

Quote Originally Posted by Tatume View Post
    +1 on the Williams and Lyman receiver aperture sights. I have them on several rifles. Don't forget the XS Sights sight set either. I have one on my Savage Model 99 (308 Win), and on one of my Ruger No. 1 rifles (9.3x74R). I use XS front sights on everything!
    + 1 on all that except go with a Firesight red fiber optic front sight.

Boolit Buddy
    +1 on the Williams Foolproof. I put one on my Model 64 and then using a hacksaw and file made a brass plug to fit the dovetail slot where the old sight came out.

Greg B.

Boolit Grand Master

Greetings & Merry Christmas !
    I normally put some kind of peep sight on my rifles. Have found they are faster for me to sight on a hunting target and make a hit. After use for a short while it is just as natural as tossing a baseball to look through the peep, place the front sight on target and put the squeeze to the triger.
    I prefer a roundish type front as it leads me to faster centering that round front into the round peep.. not that I really try but it just seems to my vision to fit more natural.
    Mike in peru
    "Behold The Lamb of God that taketh away the sin of the world". John 1:29
    Male Guanaco out in dry lakebed at 10,800 feet south of Arequipa.

Boolit Master

If you really want to "guild the lily" with peep sights you can get the Merit adjustable aperture. You can go one step further and get the adjustable with a plus diopter lens and you can then see the front sight and target like you did when you were 25 yrs old! I've had the adjustable one for a couple years now and my buddy just got the one with the lens for his 45-70 and I was really impressed. I will get one before spring time rolls around.
    "Masculine republics give way to feminine democracies, and feminine democracies give way to tyrannies.” Aristotle

Quote Originally Posted by samcolt87 View Post
    I want to take my Win 94 sears model out of the cabinet next season and use my ranchdog boolits thru it. How would you guys rate the Williams peep sight for the win 94? I cant seem to get it to shoot with the stock sight.
    I am puzzled by the last sentence. What does that look like on the target. If a rifle won't shoot with the factory sight it won't shoot with a receiver sight. Now a receiver sight will shoot smaller groups for sure and for certain, but it won't cure a bad rifle or a bad load.
    Disclaimer: The above is not holy writ. It is just my opinion based on my experience and knowledge. Your mileage may vary.

I've got Williams sights on several of my Winchester 94's. They're wonderful to shoot and the accuracy matches quite nicely with the limitations of the firearm. (They aren't designed for 800 yard shots.)

In Remembrance
    Jackson County, Choctaw Nation, Indian Territory
    To the OP, is your gun a Sears Model 54 clone of the 94? If it is, does it have the sweated on front sight?
    Those who fail to study history are doomed to repeat it.

“A fear of weapons is a sign of retarded sexual and emotional maturity”. Sigmund
    Freud

peep sight

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VRvCC8ugCAw This is a good link that has to do with the subject. I like this video and hope you do too.
    Last edited by josper; 12-25-2011 at 08:32 PM.
    Once more into the fray. Into the last good fight I'll ever know. Live or die on this day. Live or die on this day.

A lot of old time hunters used to use the Williams 5D and lose the screw in aperature in their 94's. A 5D is a very good sight if one stays with one load. Like Char Gar I kind of wonder about the problems with the regular sights. Peep sights permit more accurate shooting but if the rifle lacks the precision to group they do not help. Some 94's need a little work as they can start walking when they heat up.

DP

Boolit Master
    Dodge Co. GA. Between the Ocmulgee and Little Ocmulgee rivers.
    Quote Originally Posted by northmn View Post
    A lot of old time hunters used to use the Williams 5D and lose the screw in aperature in their 94's. A 5D is a very good sight if one stays with one load. Like Char Gar I kind of wonder about the problems with the regular sights. Peep sights permit more accurate shooting but if the rifle lacks the precision to group they do not help. Some 94's need a little work as they can start walking when they heat up.

DP
    Old timer? I'm only 45! lol I recently put the aperture back in. With my new contacts I needed something more defined than the "ghost-ring". I took it out for some snap shooting and it did great.

US Govt mantra: If it's moving tax it. If it's still moving regulate it. If it stops moving subsidize it

When I grew up I got to talk to a few of older depression era woodsmen that used 30-30's and 32 Specials. One individual used to carry his rifle to the outhouse incase he saw a deer. their definitions of deer season was a little different than the States. Peep sights were very common on the old rifles. I like a larger aperature in my rifles but do not use the "ghost ring". I also like a larger bead, such as the 3/32 instead of the finer sights.

DP

Boolit Master
    my win 94 (mfg in 1954) wears the lyman 66 m peep.
    the sight had to be faced off to make it flush with the reciever it was a curved base originally, i just filed it flat.
    they are ( aperture sights) 100% better for getting close to what your looking at down the barrel than the semi buckhorn rear sight.
    my eyes are not what they used to be.....
    Last edited by adrians; 01-14-2012 at 12:30 PM.
    i.m just sitting here watching the wheels go round and round..... i really love to watch them roll ,,,, J,W,L.

Boolit Mold
    I have a Win 94 and a Marlin 336 equipped with Williams peep sights. I am able to consistently break clay pidgeons at 100 yards with both.