Lee PrecisionRotoMetals2Inline FabricationLoad Data
MidSouth Shooters SupplyTitan ReloadingWidenersRepackbox
Snyders Jerky Reloading Everything

Thread: Question, regarding TC Encore barrels.

Question Question, regarding TC Encore barrels.

My question is do you think the Thompson Center Encore barrels in SS are soft?

The reason I ask is that my 500 S&W was shooting around 4" groups at 100 yards with my cast boolits. I cleaned the barrel real good and got most of the black crud out of the barrel. Next time at the range I could not keep it on a 8x10" sheet of paper at 100yards.

That night I checked the scope, rings, screws and so on. Then cleaned the barrel, after the cleaing I checked the crown and found that I had banged it up with my cleaning jag.

I'm thinking that I had pushed it out the end of the barrel and came back to hard and banged the jag into the crown. I have cleaned up the crown and plan to test fire with the same loads next time out.

Well, what do you think, soft or not?

Tim
    Last edited by twoworms; 02-27-2007 at 09:49 PM. Reason: miss spelled word

Boolit Master
    You don't mention what your cleaning rod and jag are made of. I really doubt that either on did that.
    Are you sure it was steel and not some lead hung up on a burr at the crown? If this is a brand new barrel, I would say it is a burr. TC's quality control leaves somthing to be desired at times.
    Jeff

Cleaning tools.

JHS,

The rod is steel the jag was brass. I'm thinking you're right, the barrel has had problems from the start. I wonder it there was a poor crown all the time and I just missed it.

Tim

Boolit Master
    I've heard that many of the new G2's and Encores have poor quality control at times. Tales of poor barrels, chambers, and crowns are legion so I wouldn't be surprised if you just got a poor one. I don't have any Encores but have many SS bbls. Four on Contenders and several on various other brands. And I wouldn't call them soft. Machining characteristics are different from chrome moly. I'd describe SS as more ductile but not necessarily soft. Due to this characteristic it seems to me they break-in quicker, which is appreciated. But soft? I don't think so.