RotoMetals2Titan ReloadingInline FabricationRepackbox
Load DataLee PrecisionSnyders JerkyWideners
MidSouth Shooters Supply Reloading Everything
Page 5 of 23 FirstFirst 123456789101112131415 ... LastLast

Thread: All the Complaining That Goes On About Lee Precision

parrot ... usually squawks words heard before with no concept nor understanding of what it's ummm "parroting" , but nevertheless keeps umm sqawking ....
    from my point of view it's almost humorous ( almost ...) mostly i feel no need to bash anything , it either works or doesnt , and most things work to some extent , the bashing however ..i believe is more a statement of a character flaw or perhaps a need to justify and reflects much much more on the basher than the bashee ( equate it to a bully in school if you prefer ) ford dodge or chevy ... all basically do what they are supposed to yet we have our own individual preferences ,some feel that that qualifies them to have a free reign to bash ( refer to that comment about basher and bashee...) but then again some folks believe that bashing/complaining some how makes them superior ( and that's where i find humor lolz ) there's alot unsaid about operator ability but that bashing does tend to leave clues IMHO .... your opinions of course will be your own and trying something yourself IS the only way you'll know if it works for you ( but some folks do like to tell the man doing something that it cant be done .... even when it's obvious it's getting done )
    Je suis Charlie

" To sit in judgment of those things which you perceive to be wrong or imperfect is to be one more person who is part of judgment, evil or imperfection."
    Wayne Dyer
    if it was easy would it be as worthy ? or as long of lasting impression ? the hardest of lessons are the best of teachers [shrugz]
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WLzFhOslZPM

Boolit Master
    Fixed cost for a new reloader is:

Lee Classic Loader: less than 35.00, shipped.

"How many people do you think got turned away because its too expensive to get started?"

Most of the people who ask about reloading get turned off by the fixed cost of very fancy, hi-tech systems. My students get turned on when I have them reload with an LCL.

Lee stuff is quite good and my reloading bag (I don't need a bench because of the cool portable stuff that Lee makes) is solid red.

Vendor Sponsor

Quote Originally Posted by Texantothecore View Post
    Fixed cost for a new reloader is:

Lee Classic Loader: less than 35.00, shipped.

"How many people do you think got turned away because its too expensive to get started?"

Most of the people who ask about reloading get turned off by the fixed cost of very fancy, hi-tech systems. My students get turned on when I have them reload with an LCL.

Lee stuff is quite good and my reloading bag (I don't need a bench because of the cool portable stuff that Lee makes) is solid red.

I think that is what was being said.
    Lee makes very affordable products.
    But , if many folks (the experts in a forum) tell you (as a newbie) not to buy LEE because they are not good products and tell you that you need a pile of expensive equipment, well, it might turn you away, figuring you can not afford to be a handloader.
    Are you in need a pan lube cutter?
    I make custom made cutters in a cutting size of your choice.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Please click on the link below . You will find a thread to post your order. Thank you.

http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...31#post2827331

Support our troops...they are somebody's kids!

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by aarolar View Post
    What I hate to see is someone new wanting to get into reloading and a bunch of guys start telling him lee sucks and start telling him he needs 1500$ worth of Dillon products on top of all the components he is going to need. How many people do you think got turned away because its too expensive to get started? I started at age 15 with my dads lee loader I found in his guncabinet along with some old powder and primers after I played with that for awhile he suprised me one day with the lee single stage kit and now at age 26 I have a whole room in my house didicated to reloading with nothing but lee equipment.
    There you go! Good food for the naysayers!!

You know, if it stuffs a bullet into a case well enough to be accurate, I couldn't care less whose name is on it.

Lee has some pretty ingenious stuff. I really like their powder disk thrower. I do not like their scales -- but that's pretty much it. I've heard bad things about their deburring tools, but do not know why.

Then again, I didn't know about deburring before I started loading rifle cartridges. Maybe it's too long to work for some handgun cartridges? That could be it. Either way, I spin cases with a drill and do all the work that way from sizing to deburring, and it just takes a split second touch to take the burr off.

Before I got wise and started cutting brass down with a hacksaw blade (also while spinning...) after forming 7.92x57 from .30-06, I found their trimming tools to grind them down just fine.

Their perfect powder measure isn't better or worse than others I've sampled. It's the only one I've owned and do wish it wasn't plastic, but it seems to do well. I'm very particular about loading and weigh each charge before dumping it into the case, and theirs gets me to within +/- 0.1 grain when using stick powder like Varget (my favorite stuff!) on most throws.

As I stated previously, my first (and only) press is a used Lyman Turret, the original. Been thinking about a regular Lee single-stage for loading rifle as I only use the press to decap/flair and seat. I've tried separate crimping dies and decapping separately and I really just don't notice an advantage. Maybe I'm doing something wrong? Dunno. But everything else is done off-press.

I use a press a lot more for pistol, and that's where a the Lyman turret really shines.

Thought about a progressive to load pistol rounds, but that's really beyond my needs at this point. Besides, I sort of like taking a day to listen to the old Gunsmoke radio show and do some handloading. It's as relaxing to me as a good campfire on a chilly night.

Most folks start off with a single-stage and increase as they learn and increase volume; I seem to be doing the opposite. Paying five minutes' attention to a rifle cartridge that I intend to use with precision is a lot more satisfying than spending seconds bulk rifle or handgun that may not be as precise.

That said, I handload for old milsurps, the youngest of which was born in 1939 and the oldest of which was born in 1892. They have awesome bores and have the capability to take advantage of not-quite-match ammunition.

My pet 1911 is also precise, but, being a handgun, is happy with having every 10th charge weighed to make sure the powder thrower hasn't suddenly opened up (still trying to figure how this would happen) or the charges aren't too light all-of-a-sudden. The .45acp seems to be OK with a couple tenths' leeway plus or minus.

The scales used are a Lyman D5 and a Redding oil-dampened. I love the precision and speed of both, and they're not as temperamental as the electronic scale I used to have!

I just never really knew where I stood with the Lee safety scale, though. While precise enough to keep folks from blowing themselves up, I didn't trust it to be what my OCD demeanor demanded.

Oh -- the dies. I love Lee dies. They're all I use. Never had a problem with them!

Regards,

Josh

Boolit Man
    The two things I replaced from the Lee start up set were the powder measure and scale. For the scale, I wanted a quicker electronic scale. I still have the Lee balance scale for back up. The powder measure was the only thing I really thought was sub par.

The only other weakness I encountered was the resizing die for 7.5 Swiss. Maybe it would work on Norma 7.5 brass, but it just won't resize .284 brass like the RCBS die will.

Boolit Master

My reloading bench is covered with Lee red and Lyman black and orange, with a smattering of RCBS green. I use a Lyman 500 scale, and Lyman 55 powder measure. I have a couple Lyman presses, and a lee press. I use the Lee press most of the time, and most of my dies are lee. My casting equipment is all Lee. I grew up using all the old Herter's equipment and when I am over at Dad's I still use it. Since I can't get Herters stuff anymore, I buy Lee.

Best wishes,

Joe
    WWG1WGA

Tyrants use the force of the people to chain and subjugate-that is, enyoke the people. They then plough with them as men do with oxen yoked. Thus the spirit of liberty and innovation is reduced by bayonets, and principles are struck dumb by cannon shot: Albert Pike, Morals and Dogma

Boolit Buddy
    I have two RCBS single stages (one portable, one stationary) and two Lee Progressives.

Lee stuff is great. It isn't made with the same quality material, but there are a LOT of interesting innovations (like in their powder measures) which are incredible. A lot of time, the materials aren't important, anyway.

I like Lee. I have few problems with Lee. But... I know folks who bash any gun which isn't a Kimber, so whatchagunnado?

Banned

I just ordered $300.00 of Lee products. My brother has never reloaded so I picked him up a classic kit. Figure he can start on his 9mm pistol cartridges. The other items in the order are for re-sale.
    Even if I was a millionare I'd still get him a Lee for the simplicity of use the product offers.

Boolit Bub

To a certain extent, you get what you pay for but Lee products, in general, are excellent value for the money.

Boolit Bub
    I agree with Alley Cat, I have got good service from most of the Lee products I have bought,

Another Lee fan here. I can say with a certainty that without Lee being in the market I'd have not likely bothered trying reloading.
    I started with the hand press, and scale(which works but frustrated me a little too often, I picked up a used Lyman M5 beam scale and it is great), the dippers, a set of carbide dies and auto-prime xr.

I now have a decked out classic turret(best value in the reloading press market hands down, I think). Reloading on the Lee makes me grin, because it does so much, for so little investment.

Boolit Buddy
    Also have some Red on the bench. Some of the concepts Lee comes up with are in fact solid designs and good stuff. Take the best of all and use what you like.

They have stood well behind the products from my experience and will buy from again. Money alone will create accurate shooting. The press frames are cast close to Lee as I spoke with an engineer and even had a 3D model of the press frame to look at. Each company measures success differently and they are doing well. I respect the methods they use to arrive at a concept, rather simple and effective.

Boolit Buddy
    I started out with a used RCBS rig 25 years ago.

When I got into reloading and casting in a big way about 4 years ago, I bought a lot of Lee stuff.
    I much prefer Lee dies for depriming simplicity.

All my moulds are Lee.
    My sizing dies are all Lee.
    I have Lee load-all shotgun shell reloaders.

Lee is simply cost effective!
    CARPE DIEM!.......

I've bought and used a lot of Lee stuff. The things I like and work for me I've kept. The things that didn't I got rid of. For MOST reloading tools I think there are better "quality" options. But I find no reason to "bash" Lee stuff. Opinions vary, a good example, I'm probably the only guy here that actually likes and uses the Zip Trim. Go figure... but to me this is typical Lee, theres better quality trimmers but this silly thing works for me and I like it.

Just to show I'm not a Lee hater......I have an old Lee LoadFast...and it will load shotgun shells pretty fast, however it's relagated to the top of the closet right now (and has been for a long time). If I have shotgun shells to reload I use my Mecs. The LoadFast works, the Mecs just work better.....My single stage press is a Pacific Multi-Power but if for some reason I were looking to buy a new SS, it would be the Lee Classic Cast...best of the bunch..so yea, some of it is good, some not so good..
    Last edited by 1bluehorse; 03-10-2012 at 05:10 PM.

Boolit Master
    Everyone here should be free and encouraged to say good or bad about any gun related products they feel strong enough about, it's just their opinion. So if i slam a product or product line, it's exactly that, an opinion.

Banned

yup its kind of comical that some people take the critisizing of a brand of loading product personaly. Its like you slammed the kid or something. Some guys have the attitude that if they bought it it has to be good as they couldnt possibly make a mistake. Me i tell it like it is. If its a good bargin and gets the job done ill say that and some lee stuff is good enought for even experienced loaders. But some it is junk and if i bought it and think it is junk im sure going to say something to prevent another loader from making the same mistake. IVe got loading gear from about every manufacture out there and use the **** out of it and weakness show up. If you dont want to here it then just ignore my advise and buy what you want but its absolutely silly to take this **** personaly.
    Quote Originally Posted by MT Chambers View Post
    Everyone here should be free and encouraged to say good or bad about any gun related products they feel strong enough about, it's just their opinion. So if i slam a product or product line, it's exactly that, an opinion.

I think everybody here uses some Lee products. I like their bullet sizers, collet neck dies, and shell holders. I also have used some of their rifle dies with satisfaction. So, I don't think there are any "dyed in the wool" Lee bashers here. All of us have found Lee products useful and a good value.

There are also many of us, who have found some Lee products to be total junk and like Loyd are free to express their opinions. But is seems that many folks can't tolerate anything but warm glowing reports on everything Lee makes. They take brand loyalty to the extreme and get all spun up when anybody expresses and alternative opinion. Lee fans relate to their brand in almost cultish fashion.

Like others, I have some Lee products (see above), plus most every other make dating back well over a half century. I keep the good stuff and dont keep the bad stuff.

I wish everybody would just load and let load. If you think a product is good or bad, say so, but dont get so wrapped in in a brand that you lose objectivity or become judgmental of others who hold a different opinion.
    Disclaimer: The above is not holy writ. It is just my opinion based on my experience and knowledge. Your mileage may vary.

Boolit Mold
    Well Here's why I like Lee, they are cheap and easy to deal with. I'm an FFL and do a lot of business with both guns and ammo. SOOOO easy with Lee, FFL copy 33% off everything 50% off parts and FREE shipping! That's just awesome goodness right there! Asked another 'ahmem' better manufacture about it and on top of my FFL I had to provide the following...
    1. to be a stocking retailer

2. have a business license

3. retail gun store, on commercial property, w/regular daytime business hours

4. yellow pages ad

5. minimum initial order of $3,500.00 wholesale

Nice huh? I think I'll stick with Lee and shoot A LOT MORE

Well, for some it's more about the money, for others it's more about the quality. No right or wrong to that, just differing ideas of value....

Page 5 of 23 FirstFirst 123456789101112131415 ... LastLast