MidSouth Shooters SupplyTitan ReloadingReloading EverythingRepackbox
Load DataLee PrecisionWidenersRotoMetals2
Inline Fabrication Snyders Jerky
Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst 123456

Thread: An even smaller bullet shooter ?

Quote Originally Posted by StrawHat View Post
    From the looks of the target, things are starting to come together. It took me a while but I just read through the entire thread. Interesting ideas in here.

For those not inclined to read the whole thing, a picture of the rifle and a brief recap might help.
    Thanks for the

I'll consider that.
    I am on my way out to a meeting, I'll have more time later to put "something" together

Boolit Master

Skullmount,

I was wondering if you had the room to use a 32 S&W or 32 acp case instead of the 25acp? The rim on the 32 s&w might make things much easier. You could just use a small pick to get under the rim if need be. I have a passel of 32 s&w if you would like to try another breech plug.

Quote Originally Posted by manleyjt View Post
    Skullmount,

I was wondering if you had the room to use a 32 S&W or 32 acp case instead of the 25acp? The rim on the 32 s&w might make things much easier. You could just use a small pick to get under the rim if need be. I have a passel of 32 s&w if you would like to try another breech plug.
    Thanks for the offer. I don't think the stock plug has enough "meat" to cut out for the 32, I had considered that also.

Recap of where we've been..................

Here is a picture of the rifle;

And a picture of the swing block, with breech plug removed;

I took the Remington Genesis 50 caliber ml and slid a barrel liner into it....
    32spec, bore is .315, groove is .321, twist is 14

I cut the breech plug to use a 25 acp case for a primer, rather than the using the 209 setup

I ordered this mould from Tom at Accurate;
    http://accuratemolds.com/bullet_deta...=32-205M-D.png

And this one from Al at NOE;
    http://castboolits.gunloads.com/showthread.php?t=134164

Range Rod from Kenokee Trading Post.
    He had to cut down the back of the jag just a touch to fit the .315.
    In this pic I have the bore guide slid up to the jag.

As of late I have found the best groups so far with around 40 grains 3f Swiss with a .125 card wad on top, and capped with the Accurate 210 grainer.

I have shot at 200 yards a couple weeks back and had 4 of 5 shots in an area 6" wide by 3" tall. ( in a 4X6 under the target, that was supporting the board the target was on)

I have only shot the NOE bullets once and I was having blowback issues with my first plug, I was able to use them to get the scope close to the middle of the target !!!

Banned
    NJ (but usually somewhere east of the east coast)
    Any more on this? Im a small caliber ML nut too, have a few fast twist .32-.36 in development.

Boolit Man
    The smallest fast twist caliber I have messed with is 40 cal with 1-16 twist. I bought 3 BPCB from Green Mountain about 12 years ago all 40 cal. And 1" across the flats.

Barrel #1 I kept full length and fitted to a Renegade and had Mountain Molds make me a slip fit bullet of 360 grains - back then they would make BP molds. I never shot this gun over 200 yards but has proven to be very accurate.

Barrel #2 I foolishly sold on eBay.

Barrel # 3 I dropped off to Anson Morgan at Kenockee Tradin' Post last week to also fit to a Renegade ,but this time cut to 24".

All of my shooting with the first barrel has been with a globe front sight and a TC tang peep.
    Last edited by Saxtonyoung; 01-09-2017 at 05:51 PM.

Perma-Banned
    You guys do realize this thread was started Dec 15, 2011 right? lol

Skullmount
    Did you get your Swiss FFF from Kenokee Trading Post? Been looking for it - plus Olde Eynsford near Detroit and no such luck.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by 54bore View Post
    You guys do realize this thread was started Dec 15, 2011 right? lol
    Yep, and I also see the posters still around, thats why I was curious for updates. And as I said, I have several similar customs in load development now. A 14 twist .36 cal that can shoot a 300 grainer accurately for farther than I can find range locally, and similar posts peek my interest

Perma-Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Squeeze View Post
    Yep, and I also see the posters still around, thats why I was curious for updates. And as I said, I have several similar customs in load development now. A 14 twist .36 cal that can shoot a 300 grainer accurately for farther than I can find range locally, and similar posts peek my interest
    Squeeze, lets hear more about that .36 Cal, that one INTRIGUES me!!

Banned
    http://www.modernmuzzleloader.com/fo...201806#p201806 http://accuratemolds.com/bullet_deta...=36-270L-D.png 28"oregon barrel, .360/.367, 1-14 twist. So far, Im shooting 40-50 grn black. Weather here has been crappy, and the season is just winding down. Ill start shooting again in a few weeks.

Banned
    A lot of this comes from Whites "varminter" rifle that they won the friendship manufacturers match with in 2007. http://whitemuzzleloading.com/docs-designs-inventions/ (scroll down to Varminter rifle) Basically a .375 barrel (.368/.375) 1-16

Perma-Banned
    Squeeze, That sounds like a fun one to shoot! Tho nothing like what you have, I ended up finding a TC Seneca 36 Cal, it is my 'Go to' fun rifle to shoot!! Load Data from my TC manual for The Seneca starts at 40 Grains 3F and Max is 60 Grains, according to TC 60 Grains of 3F will push a 65 grain round ball at 2150 fps, With 667 Ft. Lbs of Muzzle energy, If one looks in to it, this doubles a 22 Magnums 300 Ft Lbs, And the .22 Magnum is one serious BAD DUDE! The .22 Mag is the preferred choice of most professional Butchers that kill beef and hogs daily (I did this for awhile with my dad, and know first hand) its amazing the power of a little .22 Magnum, hit a 1500 pound beef between the running lights and they drop like a sack of taters! And to think the little 36 Cal muzzleloader DOUBLES the energy of the .22 Mag just AMAZES me!!

Heh, reckon anybody is paper patching 6.5's to load in a .270 barrel?

Boolit Man
    Doc White has been an inspiration to me as well, although you can read his book online (The White Muzzleloading System )I have a hard copy of it and have read it several times.

Looking back now I'm sorry I didn't pick up some smaller caliber barrels when Green Mountain was still producing them.

Boolit Man
    Small caliber muzzleloaders don't get as much attention as the larger ones do. In his book Doc White shows a 300 lb Sika deer he shot at 60 yards using a .331 cal with a 240 gn. Bullet. He also states that it's very accurate at the 200 yr range. For the average deer hunter such as myself that would be ample power with minimum recoil and use of powder.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Baron von Trollwhack View Post
    Why don't you go to page 1 of the muzzleloading forum, look at the topics, read any that look related, then go to page 2, and so on.

There are several thousands of pages in this forum if you bother to look. It is like reading an informative book, a page at a time. I know that I have many M/L posts on the 32 caliber muzzleloading rifles going back ten years or better and many others here have such posts .

As an alternative, you could learn to operate the search function and set your specific parameters for a search.

The smaller caliber guns you love, as in 32 caliber in a muzzloader are not fast twist, typically the 1/48 is fastest and they are round ball guns.

The calibers and twists you listed are for cartridge guns, where the projectile is an elongated lead or jacketed bullet, loaded from the breech, AN ENTIRELY DIFFERENT FIREARM.

After you read enough you may have viable questions at that time. Right now, they appear unintelligible.

Baron von Trollwhack
    Hey BVT, as a poster back on the old Aimoo board, it was somewhat disconcerting to go over and have a look at the muzzleloading area and see a post like yours. Here a guy comes on to ask a question and this is the kind of answer he gets. You might consider asking him for a bit of clarification rather than ranting all over the poor guy. There was a day when a noobe could ask a question on here without being lectured to. C'mon, give a guy a break!

Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst 123456