MidSouth Shooters SupplyTitan ReloadingLoad DataLee Precision
WidenersRepackboxSnyders JerkyInline Fabrication
Reloading Everything RotoMetals2
Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: An even smaller bullet shooter ?

Quote Originally Posted by Underclocked View Post
    Maybe he could make you some inserts for the current thimbles so the little rod won't be banging around and falling out?? Or he might have some smaller thimbles that would work.

Does that insert fit right up against the breech plug facing?
    UC,

My thought was inserts......Larry put an insert in the thimble of the S91 .350 he put together for me. If the nylon I saw today was black, I might have been tempted to make them. Need to find some black stuff somewhere.

Yes the insert is flush with the plug face.

Liner + Epoxy

After going to Lowes, Home Depot and a local hardware I got back at the liner project.
    Again descriptions are above pics.
    Roughing the liner up.

Not sure if it will show, but I used a hacksaw to “cut” a spiral on the liner.
    My purpose/thinking was to turn the liner as I put it in so the epoxy would be pushed down with the liner as it went in.

I cleaned the donor and the barrel liner with brake cleaner.

This is a small cork in the breech end of the liner. The breechplug was coated with oil and screwed in place, no pic of that.

Devcon mixing.

Muzzle taped and liner coated with epoxy.

Cork in muzzle of liner. Liner set.

Now we wait

Work before bullet casting ..............

Moulds came today……

I have to go out on ice patrol and most likely spread salt…

Hope to cast some tomorrow......................

Boolit Buddy
    Well it looks like you might be in business .... now the fun part starts!

( Temps here are dropping .... 60 here this morning with 4 inchs of rain. ..... glad it wasn't snow. )

Take care ..... Pete

pete,

Just came in from salting, the temp is hanging right around freezing out there now and some $now in the air. Looks like most of that will pass though.

It rained most of the night here and off and on till about 3pm here.

If it would have been $now, I would be out there for quite some time.

Looks like tomorrow for casting, but thats OK too.

Boolit Master

skullmount I haveabout 50 of the 311-407 cast in x-ray sheilding. PM me your address.
    Don't buy nuthing you can't take home

Joel 3:10

Quote Originally Posted by DIRT Farmer View Post
    skullmount I haveabout 50 of the 311-407 cast in x-ray sheilding. PM me your address.

Thank you !!

I cast some bullets yesterday, with the mould from Accurate.

Cast some in the morning, maybe 50 to 70, kept only 12 or 13, kept getting teeny tiny bubbles in the bottom of the bullet. The edges were crisp and filled, the bubbles were between the edge and the sprue area............just a bit of gas thats not getting out. I did clean the vent lines a bit and cast some more in the afternoon, cast 40 or so kept about a dozen again. Getting better ! The front hole (2 cavity mould) seems to cast most of the keepers. I talked to a friend about it and he said I am being too picky............send some downrange and see what they will do.
    We'll see !

& yup I did flux a number of times

Boolit Buddy
    Carl,
    You might make sure the screw holding the sprue plate is snug and make sure you pour a full ladle each time .... it will help force any air out of the mold. Leave a large sprue. As long as the edges are crisp and weights the same they should still be alright to shoot.
    Getting closer .....

take care .... Pete

Pete,

Yep on the comments....have tried all suggestions, except for one that a guy mentioned, pour more slowly, maybe later today after

Its in the single digits out there this morning, so I don't see myself fooling around with shoothig today. I need to get some powder measured out in the different kinds I have to be ready to go when it warms up a bit. I will also try to get more cast up later today from the NOE mould too.

Carl
    edit/update

Got out early, plugged the pot in, then measured out some 20 grain vials of powder

Teeny tiny bubbles solved ...........I cast some this morning and figured out that this mould from Accurate does NOT like bullplate lube........ the other times I have used bullplate (other moulds) I have never had a problem.........after a bit of casting good bullets, I used a Q-tip to apply some bullplate...........bubbles again !

I set that mould aside and got the NOE that casts the 152 grainer (listed weight).........they cast out at .3145 to .315

Last edited by skullmount; 01-20-2012 at 09:56 AM. Reason: updated project status

Well, I could not stand it...........I just had to shoot

I put a scope on the gun and went out and shot about 10 or so times to get on paper and pretty close to the bull..........near the end of that my hands were getting numb

Fouling was not bad with 20 grains of 3f Swiss

Boolit Buddy
    Carl,
    I knew it. You had to try it out! I'd of done the same, even if I had to load it in the house and then step outside the back door to cap and fire.

OK ... The 209 primer may have helped keep the fouling down.

How many shots till you had to run a patch? Lube on bullet? ... type of lube? , wad below powder?... or not?, type of wad?, any signs of leading when you cleaned it?

Carl what I am getting at is to write it all down and keep a log.

Take care .... Pete
    Last edited by 451 Pete; 01-20-2012 at 05:02 PM. Reason: forgot something

Banned

Why are you using 209 primers? That primer is about as strong as the 20grs of powder. I would switch it to #11's or at least a musket. I think it will be way more accurate also.

Boolit Master

I I am reading things right, he is using a Remington Genesis swingblock inline that uses 209 primers for ignition as the platform he set a liner in. That kind of makes the 209 use rather important.

Banned

If that is true, I would be getting the 209 adapter to use small pistol primers. They are made way better than any 209 primer. The 209 is going to have too much power to use this the way he wants it to work.

Quote Originally Posted by tomme boy View Post
    Why are you using 209 primers? That primer is about as strong as the 20grs of powder. I would switch it to #11's or at least a musket. I think it will be way more accurate also.
    tomme boy,

just lazy and or cheap

I am using the 209, in this instance to just get on paper and close to the bull

I have a plug that I cut for the 25 acp (case)that uses the small pistol primer mentioned. For accuracy, as you mentioned.

I'll see if the 209 will push one of the lubed bullets and a cardboard wad out of the barrel as a test........never miss an opportunity for a little R & D

With the bullets I am useing a #11 or musket nipple would get burned out really fast

A little test

Did that test with the 209 primer as the propellant. .060" cardboard wad
    NOE bullet 316466, weight with lube close to 162 or 3 grains
    Length before .886” After .726”
    Nose before .301” After .355”
    Shot at the back of a phone book at 5 to 6 feet. Bullet bounced out on the garage floor about 6 to 8 inches in front of phone book
    There is a 44 page supplement in the back, last page in listings portion is 470, pages still torn at 240. Torn pages (274) plus back cover of book. I could still feel a dent for quite a few pages behind that

Banned

Try a Federal 209mag if you have any. They are suppossed to be the hottest. Unreal just the power of a primer!

Quote Originally Posted by DIRT Farmer View Post
    Came today Thanks !!

you too Pete

Another step forward

Yesterday I had an afternoon of travel and visiting Williams Gunsight and on to Kenokee Trading Post.

I lucked out, Anson from Kenokee TP said, because he had his lathe all set up for 32 jags.

He had to cut down the back of the jag just a touch to fit the .315.
    In this pic I have the bore guide slid up to the jag.

Now to find/cut some patches that will work....

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast