RotoMetals2RepackboxMidSouth Shooters SupplyWideners
Load DataInline FabricationSnyders JerkyReloading Everything
Lee Precision Titan Reloading

Thread: Home made lube for 22 cal boolits

Boolit Bub

Home made lube for 22 cal boolits

Ok so i finally got my butt in gear and ordered a lyman m die so i can start playing with boolits in my marlin 219 zipper. I have the lyman 55 gr and the lyman 45 gr molds, which is what i will be trying to develop loads for. I tried some through it the other day that i loaded at a friends house that where lubed with a combination of speed green and javalina but was thinking a home made concoction would be cool to try so that i could make up a big batch to pan lube lots of little boolits at once. Am looking at trying to get 2000 to 2500 fps velocity.

Banned
    Being a lube cook I hate to admit the following. I had best luck in .22 cf's using a light coating of Lee liquid mule snot followed by a real light dusting of motor mica. It outshot all the wax lubes I had available for testinng which was substantial. Weird thing is that this is theeeeee only time I have had this happen and it only did it with the 22's at 2 to 3K velocity.

Boolit Bub
    hmm i will have to try that combo as well then.

Boolit Grand Master

I have used Felix lube over 2600fps in my K hornet and 223. If you want to buy some lube Bullshops Lotak worked great for me in the same calibers.
    Old enough to know better, young enough to do it anyway!

Men who don't understand women fall into two categories: bachelors and husbands!

Boolit Grand Master

Wyoming

Quite frankly there is no need to screw up perfectly good Javelina by adding anything to it. I have tested many different lubes at 2000 - 2600+ fps in numerous CFs including .22 cal CFs. Good old Javelina comes out consistently the best. It is always my 1st choice of bullet lubes and I'll only try something else if there is proof positive the Javelina is not working. That has only happened once in the 40 years I've been using Javelina.

What specific Lyman bullets (mould designations please) are you using?

What alloy?

What are you sizing the bullets at?

What GCs?

What powders?

Larry Gibson

Boolit Bub
    The molds im using are #2660438 and #2660415. I am just getting started with developing loads for this with cast so im sure ill have to mess with lots of things. I cast these boolits with the help of a member on hear (legend) and i forget the alloy but im planning on trying some water dropped harder alloy or straight lino eventually. The brand of gas checks i don't remember as the ones i used were legend's again. The ones i tried the other day which shot decent were loaded with 2400 but im planning on trying a variety of powders once i get started. Mostly im just looking for what others have used to add to the multitude of variables that i will slowly have to work through.

Boolit Grand Master

Assuming you meant 225438 and 225415 (a 266XXX would make the moulds of 6.5 caliber)? Both are good moulds and I've used both for many a year in numerous cartridges from .22 Hornet to 22-250. The 225438 will give and maintain accuracy at a higher velocity because the bullet design is better suited for that. I find that at 2200 - 2400 fps it smacks the small Belding ground squirrels quite well out to 150 yards (they are small squirrels and that is just about cone of fire). With the 225415 I gotten best accuracy in the 1800 - 2100 fps range with most 22 CFs with 12"+ twist barrels. The longer unsupported nose gives accuracy problems at higher velocities. Sometimes it does well but accuracy has not been consistent at higher velocities.

Assuming your Zipper has a 14" twist , or perhaps a 16" twist your goal of 2000 - 2500 fps should be obtainable with acceptable accuracy. You've a bit of boiler room there so I suggest starting with a medium burning powder such as H4895 and using a 1/3 - 1/2 gr dacron filler. You might also want to try the slower powders such as AA4350, H4831SC, RL19 or RL22. All have been good performers for me. I use the dacron filler if loading density is less than 80% with those powders.

With future bullets I suggest an alloy of linotype/lead at 80/20. It gives a hard yet malleable alloy when AC'd and hardes very well if WQ'd or heat treated. Straight linotype is too brittle with too high an amount of antimony. The excess antimony crystalizes seperately and this can be a problem with smaller bullets. Also you might want to shoot the bullets as close to "as cast" as possible. Mine drop at .225 - .227 and I use a .228 H die to just seat the GC, crimp the GC and lube. I've been using straight Javelina lube with these for years with no problems and very good to excellent accuracy.

What ever the GCs they must be seated flat on the bullet shank and square to the bullets length.

As to cases; well fire formed and NS'd only with a .22 M die used will probably give the best results.

Good luck, good shooting, don't hesitate with questions and keep us informed on how she does. BTW; What rifle?

Larry Gibson

Boolit Bub
    you are probably right on the numbers. I don't have the molds with me right now so i just looked it up on midway and midway must have the numbers screwed up. The rifle is a Marlin 336 that i built using a 1949 30-30 reciever and a late 50s marlin 219 zipper barrel i found online. I still need to restock it but its a hoot to shoot. I have been doing some load devolopment with 45 gr Hornady J bullets intended for the the bee and they do ok. I have been using 3031, 4895, 4064, and last night i loaded some up with Varget and 4320 to try. Once i get a good supply of boolits cast up i will start working up some cast loads as that is what i really want to shoot out of this rifle.

Boolit Grand Master

Should be a fun rifle for sure. (Don't tell anyone over on the Lever forum I said that about a Marlin....would surely ruin my reputation)

Larry Gibson

Boolit Bub
    Im thinking about building me a single shot in this caliber next so i can really see what it can do. My marlin action is very old, pretty beat up and of questionable strenght so i am not going to push things with it but i think with a good strong single shot action this round really shine.

Boolit Grand Master

New a guy who rechambered a Ruger #3 22 Hornet to 219 Zipper and loved it for rock chucks, coyotes and the occasional crow. Lots of Zippers made on single shots "back in the day".

Larry Gibson

Boolit Bub
    yea really is a neat old cartridge with enough power for most needs in a 22 caliber.

Boolit Grand Master

Keep us posted on your use of that fine old cartridge.

Larry Gibson