Reloading EverythingRotoMetals2Lee PrecisionRepackbox
Inline FabricationWidenersLoad DataTitan Reloading
MidSouth Shooters Supply Snyders Jerky

View Poll Results: Which case tumbler would you recommend?

Voters
53. You may not vote on this poll
  • RCBS $79.99

8 15.09%
  • Hornady M-2 $69.99

3 5.66%
  • Lyman turbo 1200 pro $49.97

23 43.40%
  • Lyman 1200 auto flo $84.99

6 11.32%
  • Lyman twin turbo $67.99

3 5.66%
  • Lyman 2500 pro mag turbo $89.99

10 18.87%
Multiple Choice Poll.
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Which case tumbler would you recomend?

Which case tumbler would you recomend?

I'm getting ready to use some Bass Pro reward points and I'm thinking about buying a case tumbler/vibrater. They carry machines from Hornady, RCBS, and Lyman and I have no idea where to start. When you look at the reviews every one has people saying how loud it is, and others who claim it is quiet. I'm curious to hear what everyone here has to say about the tumblers you use.

I have no doubt that Dillon and thumblers make a superior product, but unfortunately they're not an option for me. I don't have the luxury of saving a little more and buying a better product. If I didn't have the BPS reward credit card I wouldn't be buying anything. I became disabled due to a botched back surgery three years ago, and I'm trying to put my son through college. I buy food and school books on credit and in return I get to buy myself something a couple of times a year. My choices are what they are, I either chose one of them or I use my reward points on something else and continue to reload with tarnished brass.
    Last edited by Centaur 1; 12-13-2011 at 01:16 PM.

Boolit Mold
    Personally, I've got the Cabela's vibratory bowl tumbler. Get one that has a decent size bowl; I think mine will hold something like 1k 9mm, IIRC.

As far as noise goes, I find that the biggest noise comes not from the tumbler itself, but what's in the bowl. The higher the brass to media ratio, the louder it is. The higher the media to brass ratio, the quieter it is. You'll always have some noise, but the more media you have in there, the bigger the difference is (IE can have a conversation standing next to it, or can't have a conversation even with it across the house).

Boolit Buddy
    I have the Lyman 1200 auto flo. Works pretty well for me. The only time it's really noisy is when I drain the media and all the brass is dancing around in the bowl.

Boolit Master

I voted for the RCBS. That's the unit I have used since 1989. I replaced the motor one time, not because it burned out, but because the little deal that causes the imbalance fell off and I had no way to reattached it. The new motor was like $40.00.

This doesn't do you much good since the new machines are different than the old ones.

If I were to buy a new tumbler today, I'd get the Thumler's vibe unit in the size I required. I'd go with the heavy duty unit made for rocks not the lighter one designed for reloaders. The reason is I don't like messing with stuff that breaks and I grow attached to my tools and don't want to replace them.

Boolit Buddy
    I have both a Hornady and the Lyman 1200 Turbo, They both clean the shells very well, The Hornady is a lot slower than the Lyman, but the Lyman is a lot louder than the Hornady!! I like the way the Lyman dumps the walnut shells out the little spout, vs. the Hornady just dumping them out. But to be honest it's a **** shoot. All depends on what u like> Now I use a rock tumbler and stainless steel media, absolutely the best I have ever used hands down...
    Jack
    When the government fears the people, there is liberty. When the people fear the government, there is tyranny.
    “The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work and give to those who would not.

Thomas Jefferson was one Smart guy. Now we need to find another one!!!
    NRA Life member since 1971, SASS
    Ret. IAFF Local 2928

From what I can tell, the 1200 turbo pro and the auto-flo are the same beast. The exception is they added a drain plug to the auto-flo, then charge an extra $35 for it. Unless I'm missing something the auto-flo is out. The twin turbo adds a second smaller bowl for $18 more. Since I've never tumbled brass before I didn't know if the second bowl would ever be used. From what I'm hearing bigger is better and that smaller bowl might go unused.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by Centaur 1 View Post
    From what I can tell, the 1200 turbo pro and the auto-flo are the same beast. The exception is they added a drain plug to the auto-flo, then charge an extra $35 for it. Unless I'm missing something the auto-flo is out. The twin turbo adds a second smaller bowl for $18 more. Since I've never tumbled brass before I didn't know if the second bowl would ever be used. From what I'm hearing bigger is better and that smaller bowl might go unused.
    Bigger is better if you can fill it with cases. If you do smaller batches of brass, use a smaller bowl. This will help them get cleaner faster.

Boolit Buddy
    I've had several of the Lyman, some with auto-flo some without. Lyman was always good about replacing them when they broke.
    Now I only use http://www.thumlerstumbler.com/vibratory.html

I've had a large Midway U.S.A. tumbler for +15 years and have had no problems with it whatsoever. I'd recommend or at least consider a Midway tumbler, but it's not one of the poll choices.

Boolit Buddy
    I'd vote for a Dillon if you listed it.

Boolit Grand Master

Been using the same Lyman Turbo since it hit the market many years ago. I clean all my brass every time I load it.
    1Shirt!
    "Common Sense Is An Uncommon Virtue" Ben Franklin

"Ve got too soon old and too late smart" Pa.Dutch Saying

Boolit Master
    I second the Thumbler's UV-series vibratory tumbler, if it's available. They're built like tanks.
    Service members, veterans and those concerned about their mental health can call the Veterans Crisis Line to speak to trained professionals. To talk to someone, call 1-800-273-8255 and Press 1, send a text message to 838255 or chat at VeteransCrisisLine.net/Chat.

If you or someone you know might be at risk of suicide, there is help. Call the National Suicide Prevention Lifeline at 1-800-273-8255, text a crisis counselor at 741741 or visit suicidepreventionlifeline.org.

Boolit Grand Master
    I voted for the Lyman turbo 1200 based on price.

I have an old Midway 1292 that has worked for twenty years. I fill the bowl about halfway with brass then add media until it is tumbling right, if it is too loud add more media. It also helps to run the tumbler outside, or in the garage.

Robert

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by nicholst55 View Post
    I second the Thumbler's UV-series vibratory tumbler, if it's available. They're built like tanks.
    An excellent, maybe the best, choice!

Boolit Master
    I would NOT go RCBS, personally.

Even though I am True Blue, I bought a new RCBS on a forum at a very good price. The first time I used it the motor melted THROUGH the base.

I traded it to a buddy for a used Thumbers rotary.

I'm sure that Thumblers, Dillon and Berry's all make a great product, but I'm limited to buying from BassPro. I know that I'll tumble all the brass I own when I buy one, but after that my trips to the range will give me 200-300 pistol or 50-100 rifle cases to clean. I'm leaning towards buying either the Lyman turbo 1200 or the turbo twin. Does anyone really use the small bowl that comes with the turbo twin, or is it money wasted?

Boolit Master

The list is incomplete. I don't see Dillon.
    Member: Orange Gunsite Family, NRA-Life, ARTCA, American Legion, & the South Cuyahoga Gun Club.

Caveat Emptor: Do not trust Cavery Grips/American Gripz/Prestige Grips/Stealth Grips from Clayton, NC. He will rip you off.

Boolit Grand Master in Remembrance

See my recommendation on the other forum where you asked the same question.

Boolit Buddy
    I have the Hornady and the Lyman 2500, while both are good the Lyman holds a lot more and has a on/off switch.

Boolit Buddy
    From the tumblers you listed, I don't think you make a bad choice. I have a Hornady and it works well, but it seems that folks responding to your question. think the Lymans are are better. I also keep a 1 gallon Lortone rotary barell tumbler on hand for back up and polishing stones.
    What this Country needs is more unemployed politicians