Titan ReloadingReloading EverythingMidSouth Shooters SupplyInline Fabrication
Load DataRotoMetals2Lee PrecisionWideners
Repackbox Snyders Jerky
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: The paper jacket

Banned

What's your groove diameter? I'm betting that .459" would be just right.

When I size 20:1 .459" slugs to .452" for my 45/90 I roll them on a foam case lube pad, base-first size them .454", then nose-first to .452" through a Lee sizer. If using a harder alloy like wheel weights, it helps to go nose-first through the .457" Lee, then throught he .454" Lyman, then through the 452" Lee. Sounds like a lot of trouble, but it keeps the boolits concentric, eliminates flashing tails on the base, and it takes only a few minutes to size 100 three times. That's a lot of patching and shooting.

Gear

It looks like my rifle has a .458 groove. I tried some phone book paper and newspaper. The news paper is right at .460. Just thought of it while looking at my loaded rnds. I used a LEE Factory Crimp die. Is that OK to crimp with PP?? Also I tried dry PP and it looks like that went well too.
    "Some times it's just better to smile an walk away."

"Think ya used enough dynamite there, Butch?"
    -Butch Cassidy & the Sun-dance Kid

Took out the Guide Gun and some PP. Wind was blowing terrible. Everything that could work against me did. But I shot 7 rounds into a round group 1.5 inches at 50 yards. From the hood of my truck. They were loaded with a good healthy charge of RX 7. No leading and I was happy with the group for the weather conditions. Also 3 of them were my cast 405 LEE and 4 were Suter's choice. Sized .452 two wraps of tracing paper. This seemed like a big deal when I started and I about lost interest a couple times. But after you mess around a little it's really not hard and a lot of fun.
    Thanks for the help

Trouble ahead for 161! Watch out, patching is more addictive that dope! When you start getting accuracy and velocity equal to, or in some cases better than jacketed you are hooked and there is NO cure. You will wonder why you ever shot a naked bullet. If you can find some try green stripe printer paper paper. The kind with holes down both sides. All I use any more.
    45 AUTO! Because having to shoot someone twice is just silly!

Boolit Buddy
    I use the Lyman Gould bullet, #457122, in my 1886. I size it to .454 and then patch up to .459. I use 100% bond and lube with Lee alox. It will work in some Marlins and not others. Barrel rifling style and quality between guns seems to be a factor. I have shot them through an early (1972) 1895 with mixed results, but a late 90's Guide gun worked fine. Whether the rifling cleanly cuts the patch makes the difference.

Bill

The more I shoot PP the more I like it. I shot some of my LEE 405 and Suter's Choice 405 today sized .452 with two wraps of tracing paper and RX7. Got 1700 FPS no lead and good accuracy at 50 yards.
    Thanks

Banned

Yeah, yer hooked now!

Gear

Quote Originally Posted by geargnasher View Post
    Yeah, yer hooked now!

Gear
    And their aint no cure! I been hooked better than 40 years now.
    45 AUTO! Because having to shoot someone twice is just silly!

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by geargnasher View Post
    Gawd, I bet that's a HAMMER! My NEF .45 Colt only gets that boolit up to a shade over 1300 fps with a compressed load of Reloder 7 and seated to the middle of the second-from-front driving band. I use two wraps of Meade sketch paper after sizing the core to .447". Air-cooled 50/50 ww/pure is still a bit too hard for hunting at that velocity, eventually I'll try 40:1.

Gear
    RL7 is what I use in the 45'70 load,too. About 47 grains, Killed 2 bucks with it this year. Both hit the ground instantly.
    Cast Boolits, Where lead balloons go over....

Boolit Master
    Uh oh. I see a new project in my future...........

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by barkerwc4362 View Post
    I use the Lyman Gould bullet, #457122, in my 1886. I size it to .454 and then patch up to .459. I use 100% bond and lube with Lee alox. It will work in some Marlins and not others. Barrel rifling style and quality between guns seems to be a factor. I have shot them through an early (1972) 1895 with mixed results, but a late 90's Guide gun worked fine. Whether the rifling cleanly cuts the patch makes the difference.

Bill
    Bill, that is the way I shoot the Gould in my Marlin CB except I use 9lb onionskin for paper. It is fast becoming my favorite rifle, and is very accurate out to 100 yds, which is as far as I have shot it. Yep 161, you are in trouble now.
    PPing and just plain old cast boolits is very addictive.
    My mother always said I was the Flower of the Family, The Blooming Idiot

Boolit Mold
    Hi, I had some oversize(0.230") hard lead bullets with nothing to do with so I took cash register paper and wrapped several just messing around. Got them up to 0.244" and some all the way up to 0.257". Thought about shooting the .244's out of win 243 and the .257 out of 25-35.any problems in doing that. The cash register paper is thin(002") and wets and rolls easily.
    What would be some of the problems?
    Thanks

Only problem is they likely won't be very accurate. 6MM bore is normally .236" and your boolits need to be at least that big before patching or you probably won't be able to hit anything with them.

Vendor Sponsor

zippidydoodah,

The only problem I see is that you might shoot that small bullet out of the donut of paper you have on there. At some point, with enough paper, taken to the extreme, the bullet is going to squirt through the paper.
    Chill Wills

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12