Inline FabricationLee PrecisionRotoMetals2Wideners
Titan ReloadingReloading EverythingRepackboxMidSouth Shooters Supply
Snyders Jerky Load Data
Page 4 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789 LastLast

Thread: Fact or myths of reloading

Boolit Master

Alturas, California...where the west still lives!
    One of my all time favorites from Phil Sharpe:

"This author agrees. Most of these foreign rifles are pure junk and will hang on the wall if this author has anything to say about it".

Quoted from memory. Anyone want to buy all my junk/dangerous milsurps that I've been having fun with for over thirty years?

For some reason that myth never seems to apply to German rifles, at least that I've heard. At least that myth has lead to me getting a couple of Carcano's cheap.

Here's another - Cast bullets are only good for plinking, and even then only if you don't mind cleaning your gun for hours afterwords. I'm sure everyone at this site "knows" how "true" that on is.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by waksupi View Post
    Yeah, right. Let me know how that works out for you.
    His lawyer will.
    Jon

I have been patiently waiting for the savings from reloading for a long time. Maybe I should check the mailbox again tomorrow, the savings are bound to arrive soon.

This thread is a hoot.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by Walter Laich View Post
    I heard that casting will save you money
    +1

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Kerr View Post
    I have been patiently waiting for the savings from reloading for a long time. Maybe I should check the mailbox again tomorrow, the savings are bound to arrive soon.

This thread is a hoot.

I would need a bigger mailbox. Maybe thats why my savings have'nt shown up yet.

Larry

Boolit Buddy

I am actually seeing savings now. I can go out and shoot whenever I want even if I'm broke I can load a few boxes and role.

Boolit Man
    I have heard that:
    1) People hear Angels while loading on a Dillon.
    2) You can never get a double charge with a auto-index progressive press.
    3) The only color in the rainbow is Blue.
    4) LC 7.62 brass was never fired in a Machine Gun
    5) The only handgun worth having is a 1911 in 45ACP

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Waldog View Post
    I have heard that:
    1) People hear Angels while loading on a Dillon.
    2) You can never get a double charge with a auto-index progressive press.
    3) The only color in the rainbow is Blue.
    4) LC 7.62 brass was never fired in a Machine Gun
    5) The only handgun worth having is a 1911 in 45ACP

Good ones!

And #'s 1,3,and 5 are very near and dear to my heart!
    Last edited by LUBEDUDE; 01-12-2012 at 11:04 PM. Reason: spelling

Banned
    Oh.

Those were angels?

Boolit Buddy
    myth: Don't ever tumble a loaded round to clean it. It will break down the powder into a finer powder and burn faster and raise the pressure. Someone should tell our ammunition manufacturing company's to stop doing it.

2: Told an old gunsmith recently that I cleaned a trigger group with WD-40 and compressed air because I was out of gun scrubber. He stated " Don't ever spray WD-40 on gun springs it will make them soft. This man had been a gunsmith for many years, he is in his late 70's and has been a factory service rep. for most firearm company's in the past.

3: Had another gunsmith in NC unload his S&W mod 19 and only had 5 rounds in it. Asked why and said to always rest the hammer on an empty chamber. That way if the hammer was struck or the pistol was dropped it would not discharge. He had a range beside his shop we went to it and gave him a demonstration of the safety features built into modern smith firearms.

4. A police Sgt./ range officer at a large PD told me that putting Dry Slide in a S&W action would gum the gun up and ruin it.

5. Dry firing a 38 spec. will break the firing pin.

Can't count or remember all of the BS I've heard over the years.
    What this Country needs is more unemployed politicians

Moderator Emeritus / Trusted loob groove dealer

Somers, Montana, a quaint little drinking village,with a severe hunting and fishing problem.
    I've never heard of WD-40 making springs soft, but it does enough other bad things to a gun, that I never use it on them. I suppose if enough of it builds up, it could slow a spring.
    The solid soft lead bullet is undoubtably the best and most satisfactory expanding bullet that has ever been designed. It invariably mushrooms perfectly, and never breaks up. With the metal base that is essential for velocities of 2000 f.s. and upwards to protect the naked base, these metal-based soft lead bullets are splendid.
    John Taylor - "African Rifles and Cartridges"

Forget everything you know about loading jacketed bullets. This is a whole new ball game!

Boolit Master
    Dodge Co. GA. Between the Ocmulgee and Little Ocmulgee rivers.
    Lee presses will date your sister, knock her up, then dissolve.

US Govt mantra: If it's moving tax it. If it's still moving regulate it. If it stops moving subsidize it

Boolit Master

I was told on another Forum...
    You will die from Lead poisoning if you cast Boolits!
    You Know You Might Be Facing your DOOM , if all you get is a click, Instead of a BOOM !

If God had wanted us to have Plastic gun stocks he would have planted plastic Trees !

You'll shoot your eye out.

Everything you read on the internet is true.

Jerry
    Buzzard's luck!! Can't kill nothin', nothin'll die!!

Boolit Master
    In my experience the more sloppy a bottle neck chamber, and or throat, the more benefit there is from neck sizing brass, both in accuracy and brass life. The two significant examples I own are milsurp swedes, and Weatherby mags.

I've owned a half dozen old swedes, and still shoot two regularly. All the swedes I've tried, (at least the ones that hadn't been wreaked by Bubba), would hold 1" to 1 1/2" @ 100 yards with jacketed ammo. Any of those swedes which would hold an inch proved capable of 1/2" using the same load in brass formed to that particular chamber and neck sized only. The two I kept will hold near 1/4" when I'm on my game.

I only have the one .270 WBY mag, but it's on it's second barrel, and both barrels showed 1/2 the group size and twice the brass life using neck sizing only. In my experience absolute accuracy in the .270 WBY is a somewhat unique game. Interestingly both barrels produced smaller groups at 300 yards than @ 200. Go figure. I'd love to see a real slow motion video of this barrel shooting.

IMHO using neck sized only brass gives the bullet a much better chance of being somewhat centered in the long throats common to these two chamberings. In both instances there's not much chance of seating out far enough to get near the lands.
    BD

Boolit Bub
    "A half-charge will actually cause a pressure spike and blow up your gun."
    Yeah... I'll have to remember that I can get higher pressure from lower charges. In theory I should be able to get peak velocities from .1 gr charges.

Boolit Master

Half-charged cartridges WILL blow up your gun as long as you remember to fill up the other half with an extra bullet. Almost did it once due to a die full of sticky lube. Now I clean them out more often.

Banned
    "The dangers of exceeding the upper limits of various loadings should, by now, be clear to the reader. There is, though, an apparent danger from going in the opposite direction. A certain amount of press has been given to a phenomenon known as detonation. This involves excessively high pressures generated by reduced loads of slow burning powders-- charges below those recommended by the reloading manuals. Never guess at the burning characteristics of a powder, nor exceed the recommended charges on either end of the loadings recommended in the manuals."

C. Rodney James, The ABC's Of Reloading Sixth Edition, (Iola: DBI Books, 1997), 15-16.

Page 4 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789 LastLast