WidenersLoad DataRepackboxTitan Reloading
Lee PrecisionRotoMetals2MidSouth Shooters SupplyReloading Everything
Inline Fabrication Snyders Jerky
Page 9 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789

Thread: Fact or myths of reloading

Boolit Master
    The biggest myth regarding reloading is that you will save money.
    You will not!
    You will be able to shoot a lot more for the same expense, but you will never save a dime.
    In fact, over time, you will most probably move from reloading to casting to custom guns and acquire more and more expensive reloading and shooting equipment.
    And you still won't save any money, but you will have invested a lot of time and money in an enjoyable hobby.
    I am OK with that dynamic...what would I do with all that money I spent on shooting and reloading, anyway?

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by o6Patient View Post
    Separating cases by weight, separating bullets by weight, trickling charges right down to
    perfection, developing loads to the half tenth .. will make your hand loads significantly
    more accurate.
    Well,,,it ain't likely to make 'em any LESS accurate!!!

Boolit Buddy

You will not!
    You will be able to shoot a lot more for the same expense, but you will never save a dime.
    Actually I have saved a lot of money, because I am too busy reloading to go to the bars and chase women. It’s all in how you look at it.
    L.E.C.

Boolit Man
    Quote Originally Posted by 375supermag View Post
    You will not!
    That is it exactly, my hobby budget tends to expand to meet available liquidity at any given time

Love Life
    Quote Originally Posted by o6Patient View Post
    Separating cases by weight, separating bullets by weight, trickling charges right down to
    perfection, developing loads to the half tenth .. will make your hand loads significantly
    more accurate.
    Separate bullets with a comparator first and THEN separate by weight.

Weigh each case empty and separate. Then grab your largest batch and weigh them all full of water and separate even farther. That is what is called fun!

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by Love Life View Post
    Separate bullets with a comparator first and THEN separate by weight.

Weigh each case empty and separate. Then grab your largest batch and weigh them all full of water and separate even farther. That is what is called fun!
    Fun has some odd definitions. It certainly sounds like the goal here is to wind up with batches of cases too small to load a magazine with, and batches of boolits too small to fill even a single small batch of cases. If you want ultimate accuracy, just use the same case over and over, without sizing, and keep your boolits uniform in size and weight (and paper patch). Haven't heard of bench rest masters shooting a whole match with a single case?

Boolit Master
    If, and only IF, you are doing long distance shooting will any of the many anal-retentive activities actually make any difference on target.
    Of course, within reason, such activities can not hurt accuracy. The question is if they actually make a difference.
    For handgun at less than 50 yds--no difference.
    For rifle at less than 300 yds--no difference.
    If you want to make blanket statements, back them up with actual test results.
    With respect to sorting brass, I have, after well over 100 5-shot groups in each caliber, found that sorting makes no difference in accuracy out to 50 yards with MY handguns and, in most instances, for no other reason than randomness, the mixed brass has a very slightly smaller average group size. NOT statistically significant based on a T-test at 90% fiduciary limit though.

Boolit Mold
    Reloading saving money is like your wife saying how much you saved because it was in sale

Quote Originally Posted by L Erie Caster View Post
    Actually I have saved a lot of money, because I am too busy reloading to go to the bars and chase women. It’s all in how you look at it.

Boolit Master

Definitely a cse of shooting more for less for me.

After the tens of thousands of rounds I've shot in USPSA, steel plate, PPC and ICORE matches I realize that I would have seriously crimped the budget and would have endured a lot more recoil if not for casting and reloading. Over the last 8 years the cost per round has probably averaged five cents. Over the same time frame factory loads have run $0.40-$0.45 each for the rounds I shoot the most. I would have either spent a great deal more or shot a lot less. That much factory ammo would have run at least $32K so even after the cost of all of the casting and relading gear, I'm way ahead. I'm also self sufficient for everything I shoot and almost everything I own for a long time. Never got into shotgun or 7.62x39 reloading. In fact, I have two rifles in 7.62x39 that I've never shot and one was bought unissued.

The rifle rounds I reload the most are .223 and 6.5x55. Factory loads of the quality of my handloads like Hornady Premium runs a buck a round. My handloads in .223 run about $0.25 and less than 35 cents for the 6.5, using V-Max for the .223 and Nosler Ballistic TIps for the 6.5.

David
    Sometimes life taps you on the shoulder and reminds you it's a one way street. Jim Morris

Boolit Bub
    Eastern Colorado, Alaska will always be Home
    I save LOTS of money on Ammo .223 savings is .30 to .40 cents a round. But I spent my retirement money and my kids inheritance on reloading and swaging equipment. But I think bullets will be the new GOLD Soon!
    I have but one friend, I trust in only myself and the Great Spirit, No woman can own me, but only fell the touch of my hand, I Lust for my freedom, and Love only my desires in life! 1989BKH

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by Waldog View Post
    5) The only handgun worth having is a 1911 in 45ACP
    I'd be interested in seeing this myth debunked. I was in my late 20s when I realized there were other ACP type cartridges that weren't a 45. I wAs in my mid thirties when I learned there were non1911 45s available. I'm 40 now and it never occurred to me to actually purchase one.

Hmmm, learn something new everyday if you're lucky. Guess I'm done for the day

Boolit Master

Area Man,

Debunking the 1911 myth is as easy as picking up any one of many other 45s and shooting it. The 1911 was cutting edge in 1911 and for many years thereafter. But that was a long time ago and technology has moved along. It's just that many shooters haven't.

Cat
    Cogito, ergo armatum sum.

(I think, therefore I'm armed.)

Boolit Master
    I would say the 1911 is STILL Cutting edge.
    Rather have a 14-45 than a hi-cap 9x19.
    Since I have many and they all are very reliable, I have no complaints and haven't seen another pistol that was any better--unless you are judging based on weight. Or, you fear cocked-and-locked.

Boolit Master

Reloading/casting does save you money! All the time that you are at the reloading bench or casting pot is time that you will NOT be spending on "bad habits" such as drinking, gambling, racing, etc., thereby saving you all the money that you would have wasted on those pursuits! Over the years I must have saved thousands of dollars by reloading and casting!

Besides reloading is not nearly as hard on your liver as drinking, so you save on Dr. bills and medical expenses too!
    "with liberty and justice for all"...must be 18 or older, not available in all states, void where prohibited, some restrictions may apply. D. Stanhope

"The remedy for evil men is not the abrogation of the rights of law abiding citizens. The remedy for evil men is the gallows." Thomas Jefferson

"To disarm the people is the best and most effectual way to enslave them." George Mason Co-author of the Second Ammemdment

Page 9 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789