RotoMetals2Inline FabricationWidenersMidSouth Shooters Supply
Lee PrecisionTitan ReloadingRepackboxLoad Data
Reloading Everything Snyders Jerky
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: H&R NEF Handi SB1 & SB2 Frames There is a Difference!

Boolit Master

H&R NEF Handi SB1 & SB2 Frames There is a Difference!

If you are going to get a new H&R or NEF in a handi and are not totally up on them, you might be wooed by the great prices of a 357 Mag or 44 Mag rifle. Be aware that if the price is low it might be because it has the SB1 frame. This is a weaker frame and you can only use it for muzzleloader or shotgun barrels (and the 44 mag, 357 mag, and 500 S&W).

It cost me $23 as a 10% restocking fee because of my ignorance. Thought I would pass it along.

This is what I bought, and it clearly says SB1 on it so I guess that was my bad. Bud would not budge off their policy. Not a huge expense I guess in the scheme of things, just a lesson learned. I tried to change my order less than 10 hours later...no matter. I placed the order yesterday evening, and tried to change it this morning...
    http://www.budsgunshop.com/catalog/p...ducts_id/52891

I was buying the rifle for a young relative to use. I thought he could start out with the 357, and then we could get him a couple other barrels for varmints and deer later.

It is good not to be ignorant I guess!
    Last edited by Suo Gan; 12-09-2011 at 02:07 PM.
    Lotta people die in bed: Dangerous place to be!

Boolit Master

Suo,

Well, at least it was a cheap lesson. You can't buy experience, but you sure do pay for it.

The SB1 frame will also work with the .30-30.

I don't think that the .500 would though. I could be wrong but the last thing that round could be called is low pressure. It also has a pretty large case head so bolt thrust would be pretty high.

Cat
    Cogito, ergo armatum sum.

(I think, therefore I'm armed.)

Boolit Buddy
    It can make one go crazy trying to remember the number of frames they have.
    I keep trying to stay afloat but can't help from shooting holes in my own boat.

The SB1 frame will handle quite a few cartridges but H&R won't install anything other than .357, .44 Mag, muzzleloader, and shotgun barrels on them. SB1 is cast iron and SB2 is steel.

Boolit Master

357 could be a lot of fun. You should go for it.

Boolit Master
    I found one in 30-30 for a good price. I will send the frame off to H&R to get a 357 barrel after a bit.

After four or five years of properly seasoning the barrels with cast boolits, then the kid can have at it!

Boolit Master
    I have a factory original H&R .357 Maximum. Really like it. I would buy more of the pistol or other rimmed calibers if they were available with the SB2 frames. I don't have any uses for the SB1 frames and don't see the sense in buying a gun I don't need or want just to get an SB2 frame and then have to pay extra for the barrel I do want plus S&H for sending a new unfired gun back to the factory to have it "fixed".

Been looking at the new CVA Scout for a .44 Caliber.

BAGTIC: you could probabaly buy the rifle and sell the barrel to finance the barrel you want

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by BAGTIC View Post
    I have a factory original H&R .357 Maximum. Really like it. I would buy more of the pistol or other rimmed calibers if they were available with the SB2 frames. I don't have any uses for the SB1 frames and don't see the sense in buying a gun I don't need or want just to get an SB2 frame and then have to pay extra for the barrel I do want plus S&H for sending a new unfired gun back to the factory to have it "fixed".

Been looking at the new CVA Scout for a .44 Caliber.
    It is kind of a strange procedure I will admit that.

A lot of companies seem to have done things right in the past, and in time start doing things backwards. I thought it was supposed to work the other way. But being an American, that is pretty much how the entire country works.

Suo Gan:

Follow the MONEY!

it all started with a Vision from Henry Ford

Boolit Master

I would have thought it started with Eli Whitney. Make em fast - make em cheap. Cheaper is always better.

Boolit Master
    Check this out. A $6,000 Handi. Not in stock right now though.
    http://www.ableammo.com/catalog/hand...-p-124895.html

Dang, I've got a 444 Handi - seems to like it should be worth $3000, huh?
    Avatar - 2006, my oldest son (6'2"), trying to lift the 95lb Cobia he caught at Cape Hatteras, NC from the beach.

Quote Originally Posted by frkelly74 View Post
    I would have thought it started with Eli Whitney. Make em fast - make em cheap. Cheaper is always better.
    I thought it was Ford who said something like, "Sell the cars cheap enough for everyone to have one, and get RICH off the Parts"

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by Swampman View Post
    The SB1 frame will handle quite a few cartridges but H&R won't install anything other than .357, .44 Mag, muzzleloader, and shotgun barrels on them. SB1 is cast iron and SB2 is steel.
    Not true,,,cast steel would be appropriate; and forged steel would be the newer SB2 frame.

Ruger uses investment casting in a good number of their parts also. Different processes and steels give different capabilities. To my knowledge cast iron hasn't been used in firearms for over a century.

Edd
    Charter member Michigan liars club!

"The strongest reason for the people to retain the right to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves against tyranny in Government." -- Thomas Jefferson

"Consider the clown(s) just one of God's little nettles in the woods, don't let it detract from the beauty. Sooner or latter you are going to run into the nettles regardless of how careful you are."

Beware of man who types much, but says nothing.

so can someone tell me the difference between "Forged" and "Cast"?

casting is:
    to give a shape to (a substance) by pouring in liquid or plastic form into a mold and letting harden without pressure <cast steel>
    Forging is:
    to form (as metal) by heating and hammering
    or
    to form (metal) by a mechanical or hydraulic press with or without heat
    *quotes from Webster's Dictionary

Casting allows for loose microcrystaline structure and can have significant flaws which are invisible to the eye internally on a part. Also, dross or impurities in castings have often made them weak.

Forging parts forces their metals into alignment, typically making a stronger part that doesn't have chances of impurities or weaknesses. That isn't to say it's a perfect process, ie automated hammerforging, but it's typically much stronger than cast only.

Newer Metal Injection Molding (MIM) processes and sintering are similar to casting, but slightly stronger as they are injected under pressure and have more consistency and less chance of issues internally.

thanks Tacklebury

Boolit Master
    I got it in writing from H&R that both models are made from the same metal. The difference is that the SB2 receives a special heat treatment that makes it stronger.

Boolit Master

I think both are cast (cast steel not cast iron) and forging a part like that would be a neat trick. Nothing at all wrong with a properly done steel casting (think T/C) and the strength of a stress relieved and tempered casting can easily approach a forging. Castings are commonly used where very high strength is needed and the part shape does not lend itself to the forging process, I suppose some folks get the mistaken idea that steel castings are inherently inferior due to the nature of iron castings.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast