RepackboxLee PrecisionWidenersReloading Everything
RotoMetals2Load DataSnyders JerkyMidSouth Shooters Supply
Inline Fabrication Titan Reloading

Thread: mk 3 ruger target pistol problems

Boolit Master

mk 3 ruger target pistol problems

dang gun load the clip, fires 2 times then doesnt fire or click or anything, pull the bolt back and theres a loaded round in the barrel, the shell ejects and the new shell goes in chamber, fires, bolt is completely reset, shell in chamber, will not fire or click off. pull bolt back new unfired shell falls out and you let the bolt go again and a new shell goes in. rinse repeat what the heck is happening and if someone says it needs broke in ill say your joking yourself. tried 3 different ammos. remington, winchester, and federal hi velocity value pack.

Moderator Emeritus / Trusted loob groove dealer

Somers, Montana, a quaint little drinking village,with a severe hunting and fishing problem.
    Did a tear down and thorough cleaning?
    The solid soft lead bullet is undoubtably the best and most satisfactory expanding bullet that has ever been designed. It invariably mushrooms perfectly, and never breaks up. With the metal base that is essential for velocities of 2000 f.s. and upwards to protect the naked base, these metal-based soft lead bullets are splendid.
    John Taylor - "African Rifles and Cartridges"

Forget everything you know about loading jacketed bullets. This is a whole new ball game!

Boolit Buddy
    It sounds like the hammer is following the bolt. Maybe because of a worn hammer notch, sear or disconnector. Could also be because it is getting gummed up. I've had other 22 auto pistols that failed to reset due to dirt. Do a good tear down, inspect, and clean.

Boolit Master
    thankyou guys, this is a new gun and tore down and cleaned up, lightly oiled. brand new i cannot believe it. this gun has now a total of 100 shells in it, would have been 200 if it didnt have to be cocked back everytime i wanted to fire it.

I have one. Tear it down again and reassemble. My guess is that you put it back together wrong whitch is very easy to do on this model.

The trigger is not going all the forward (resetting). When the trigger doesn't go all the way forward the sear can't reset. When the sear can't rest the hammer can't rest. When the hammer doesn't reset, as you found out, you pull the trigger & nothing happens.

Check for crud, burrs, ect, that would stop the trigger from going all the way forward.

A couple of years ago I installed pre-travel & over-travel set screws in the trigger of a MKIII along with some other trigger work. The trigger came out sweet but would do exactly what you're describing when the pistol got dirty (100 to 150 rounds of ammo). I'd have to tear the pistol down & clean it to get it to function properly again. What a pain!!!

Boolit Master
    remember there is a magazine safety on the MK 3. Make sure you are fully inserting the mag and that it "clicks" and that you can not pull it out of the gun with your fingernail. It almost sounds like what would happen when I would shoot S&W auto's and not insert the mag fully, you would get a few shots off but that the mag would wiggle down and nothing would happen.
    If that doesnt get it, call ruger, its still under warranty, they will send a call tag and fix it for free.

Boolit Master
    I have one. Tear it down again and reassemble. My guess is that you put it back together wrong whitch is very easy to do on this model.

not likely as the gun will either go together or your beating the back man spring with a hammer making things bent.

The trigger is not going all the forward (resetting). When the trigger doesn't go all the way forward the sear can't reset. When the sear can't rest the hammer can't rest. When the hammer doesn't reset, as you found out, you pull the trigger & nothing happens.

hey i think your right my man. i took it down stairs and tore it down and this time i got the powder blast out and sprayed around the parts that are associated with the trigger and whamow the trigger felt smoother and ect ect. i think your right about the trigger not reseting.

I've got the 22/45 MarkIII Hunter Target model. Man I remember when I pulled that apart, I wanted to polish the guts to make it run smoother. It stayed apart for quite some time as I guess I didnt have the grey matter to get it back together. I got it all polished then found a tutorial, I believe at Rimfirecentral and that baby has worked flawlessly ever since. Well, I mean it already worked good but you can REALLY feel a difference after the polishing.

Boolit Buddy
    Have same pistol and had same problem. Gun shop sent it back to Ruger. They replaced the mag disconect and it works fine now. This part must be completly flat with no burrs. It is a common problem for Rugers with the mag disconect. You might break it down and give it some attention. Not sure what would happen if you could just take it out.