Inline FabricationSnyders JerkyRepackboxReloading Everything
Load DataTitan ReloadingRotoMetals2MidSouth Shooters Supply
Wideners Lee Precision

Thread: .32's dies interchangeable?

Boolit Master

.32's dies interchangeable?

i need a .32s&w(short). can i use the .32s&w long, or .32 colt(short) dies for it?

or .32acp?

Boolit Master
    The problem with the long dies is being able to flare the case and seat the boolit with the 32 long dies. You can do it with the 32 long dies , but will have to put in some spacers to get it to work with the 32 s&w case.

I used 32 mag dies before I got a set of Lee 32 S&W dies. Fiddled with them till they did what I needed done.

Don't know about the colt or acp dies.

Boolit Buddy
    The 32 colt dies should work too. No so with the 32 acp.

T-o-m

In Remebrance

My RCBS 32 dies are marked for "32 S+W, 32 S+W Long/Colt NP and 32 ACP". They'll work with Mag brass too. The 32 Short Colt may be a different creature IIRC. I think the a32 Colt Short was a heel style, but could be wrong on that.

Boolit Buddy
    I got the RCBS ones as well. They are the cowboy ones so they are ment for lead boolits. And they work for 32 S&W to the 327 Fed. Mag. I called RCBS before I ordered them to make sure because they don't mention them working for 32 H&R or 327 but they do.

http://www.midwayusa.com/product/424...ong-32-s-and-w

Boolit Grand Master
    You can load .32 S&W with dies for the .32 S&W Long or the .32 H&R, but you may not be able to crimp with out trimming the bottom of the seating die. I have a set of Lee .32 H&R dies and just tried a sort case in the seating die, it went all the way in, so the die would need trimmin to crimp.

The .32 Colt rounds are smaller in diameter and will not work. The .32 ACP may work, I remember reading an article in one of the Gun Digests about somebody using them to load four calibers. I think the guy used Hornady dies, but I think with enough adjusting any of them should work.

Robert

Boolit Grand Master
    As the previous posters have suggested, the answer to your question will depend on what kind of dies you are talking about using. Since this is the Casting and Reloading Hand Tools Forum, I will tell you that the Lee Loader I bought for this purpose has two bases, one recessed deeper for the .32 S&W Long, the other for the Short. My Ideal #3 tool is used for both, although I believe it was just marked .32 S&W, which indicates the original, short round. AFAIK, this interchangeability carries over to the 310 tool as well, assuming you can find a set of the dies. Unfortunately, you will have to get either the Lee Loader or Lyman/Ideal sets in .32 on the used market as they are both discontinued.

If you want to use a press and 7/8 X 14 dies, you might want to ask the question again on the appropriate Forum, Reloading Tools or since the revolver guys talk a lot about the .32 these days, the people at Wheelguns... might also give you some help. Good luck with your dilemma as for some reason the manufacturers have not caught up with how much popularity the little .32s have regained.

Froggie

Boolit Grand Master
    Troy,

If you aren't planning on shooting a bazillion rounds through your Grandpa's H&R; there is another option. Don't even use dies.

Do a search on loading .32 and George Nonte. sometime in the last year or two there was a thread that someone cut and pasted one of his articles about loading for these little rounds with next to nothing; basically it was like using a Lee Loader with out the sizing die part, but much cheaper.

Robert