Snyders JerkyTitan ReloadingWidenersLee Precision
RotoMetals2RepackboxLoad DataMidSouth Shooters Supply
Inline Fabrication Reloading Everything

Thread: Posted for no particular reason

Moderator Emeritus / Trusted loob groove dealer

Somers, Montana, a quaint little drinking village,with a severe hunting and fishing problem.

Posted for no particular reason

I was going through some old photos today, and found one of me at one of our elk camps in the Great Bear Wilderness. We were on Dolly Varden Creek, just below Pentagon Divide. This is a camp where a wolverine made a nuisance of himself, and we ended up moving camp a long way to get away from it.
    Sure was a lot skinnier and tougher back in those days!
    The cabin is where I was living back in those days. It had been an old stage coach remount station in years past and had been moved here, where I finished putting it back together. This sits on the old Kootenai ceremonial grounds.
    I do miss some of the fun from back in those days.
    The solid soft lead bullet is undoubtably the best and most satisfactory expanding bullet that has ever been designed. It invariably mushrooms perfectly, and never breaks up. With the metal base that is essential for velocities of 2000 f.s. and upwards to protect the naked base, these metal-based soft lead bullets are splendid.
    John Taylor - "African Rifles and Cartridges"

Forget everything you know about loading jacketed bullets. This is a whole new ball game!

Boolit Master

Well, W., I'm not ashamed to say I am envious. Don't know if I could have made it, myself...
    Echo
    USAF Ret
    DPS, 2600
    NRA Benefactor
    O&U
    One of the most endearing sights in the world is the vision of a naked good-looking woman leaving the bedroom to make breakfast. Bolivar Shagnasty (I believe that Lazarus Long also said it, but I can't find any record of it.)

Boolit Grand Master in Remembrance

Very interesting. Somewhere I've got some old photoes from the 60's of hunting camps us Indiana boys had in the Black Hills of WY. Like you I was alot lighter back in those days, not to sure about being tougher tho.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by waksupi View Post
    I was going through some old photos today, and found one of me at one of our elk camps in the Great Bear Wilderness. We were on Dolly Varden Creek, just below Pentagon Divide. This is a camp where a wolverine made a nuisance of himself, and we ended up moving camp a long way to get away from it.
    Sure was a lot skinnier and tougher back in those days!
    The cabin is where I was living back in those days. It had been an old stage coach remount station in years past and had been moved here, where I finished putting it back together. This sits on the old Kootenai ceremonial grounds.
    I do miss some of the fun from back in those days.
    Dunno if I would have waited for him to do that much, darn things sure are a headache! Never had the privalidge myself but we did have his cousin the fisher tear up camps in the area we had the use of a camp.

All that aside, nice camp and I think we all have beefed up the R factor over the years.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fisher_(animal)
    Last edited by P.K.; 11-30-2011 at 09:17 AM.
    GSSF RSO
    NRA RSO
    DU

"People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf."
    George Orwell

These are the times that try men's souls.
    Thomas Payne

Somers, Montana, a quaint little drinking village,with a severe hunting and fishing problem.
    I'd like to see some pictures of your hunting camps.
    As far as taking care of the wolverine problem, hard to do, as it wasn't particular about coming into camp in the day time while we were out hunting.
    The solid soft lead bullet is undoubtably the best and most satisfactory expanding bullet that has ever been designed. It invariably mushrooms perfectly, and never breaks up. With the metal base that is essential for velocities of 2000 f.s. and upwards to protect the naked base, these metal-based soft lead bullets are splendid.

Forget everything you know about loading jacketed bullets. This is a whole new ball game!

Boolit Master

I'd like to see some pictures of your hunting camps.
    As far as taking care of the wolverine problem, hard to do, as it wasn't particular about coming into camp in the day time while we were out hunting.

You had to ask....Sheesh I don't like looking at pictures of me when I had hair....I've lost so much...

O-k, I tried the flatbed and couldn't get the proportions right so I just snapped it with the digital. Pic was taken in Feb. of '91, I'm on the right and my buddy Jim on the left with our trusty H&R 12ga single. I've got me da's 870 w/ a Hastings smooth bore slug barrel. I popped the two snow shoes with #7 1/2 dove and rabbit reloads.

GSSF RSO
    NRA RSO
    DU

"People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf."
    George Orwell

Thomas Payne

Boolit Master

Forgot to mention about the camp, Dorf can chime in anytime with more details but it is outside Jackman up Route 201 near Moose River? Cozy affair with 2 bedrooms and a loft. Wood for heat and gas for lights and cooking. In the heavier snows only access is via snow machine or snow shoes. IIRC on that trip we found plenty of spots where moose had just folded leg and melted to the ground. I belive the hard pack was about 4.5 feet. Good snow shoe stuff. Pretty good weekend except when the F-111's out of Pease buzzed the area at 500 feet off the deak.
    GSSF RSO
    NRA RSO
    DU

George Orwell

Thomas Payne

Boolit Master

Talking

Thank's for posting it waksupi. Looks like a place I would like to see just to be out in nature.

Boolit Grand Master

Great pics or obvious good times! Wish you many more of them!
    1Shirt!
    "Common Sense Is An Uncommon Virtue" Ben Franklin

"Ve got too soon old and too late smart" Pa.Dutch Saying

Cook tent on the right, Barracks on the left

We're at aroud 5000 feet in Union County Oregon on BLM land. This is public land, you gotta love America.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails P1010069.jpg  
    'Imagination is everything. It is the preview of life's coming attractions.' - Albert Einstein

Roy

Driving in is cheating!

We had 28 miles by pack string into this camp.
    This was the only 3-400 yards on the whole trail when you had time to take a picture.

Boolit Master

Driving in is cheating!

LOL! Not if you have to hike 5mi in snowshoes after the drive.
    GSSF RSO
    NRA RSO
    DU

George Orwell

Thomas Payne

Boolit Master

I'm also envious too. Looks like good times and great memories. +1 on gotta love America. We still have lots of places this can be done. My bucket list includes something like that wilderness camp, either with a wall tent or an old cabin with elk on the menu. It seems that that sort of adventure is now so expensive when tags, outfitter, and guides are all added up. Still what are good memories worth?

Ric, even though we can drive to camp it's surprising that we seldom see anyone else in the field hunting. There are a few road hunters that we can hear driving up on the forest service road but they are afraid to get out of their cars.
    'Imagination is everything. It is the preview of life's coming attractions.' - Albert Einstein

Roy

Quote Originally Posted by flhroy View Post
    Ric, even though we can drive to camp it's surprising that we seldom see anyone else in the field hunting. There are a few road hunters that we can hear driving up on the forest service road but they are afraid to get out of their cars.

I hear ya. Get a couple hundred yards off of a road around here, it is seldom you see another hunter.

We never had a camera at our camps when I was younger. I wish we would have. Great pics waksupi!
    NRA Life Member
    NAHC Life Member

And when the Persian said their arrows would "block out the sun" The Spartans said "Then we will have our battle in the shade!"

I did notice how absolutely filthy I was, after looking at the first picture again. I suppose between horses, wood cutting, and setting up camp, is is to be expected. Didn't both any of us one bit. I was the guy re-shoeing any horses that needed it, so I had a bit more contact than others. As to why I rode so far wearing chaps, and didn't have them on when shoeing, I have no idea. Brain fart, I guess. Rick says, hey, I think I have a loose shoe, so I end up going through the whole string.
    Heck, after a few weeks, you could get clean again.
    Last edited by waksupi; 12-03-2011 at 03:45 AM.

Boolit Buddy
    Nice photos, Gentleman. Thanks much for posting and for sharing you past experiances.

Isaac

Boolit Master
    Well whatever the reason I enjoyed this thread.
    Paul G.
    Once I was young, now I am old and in between went by way to fast.

The end move in politics is always to pick up a gun.
    -- R. Buckminster Fuller