Inline FabricationLoad DataWidenersRotoMetals2
Reloading EverythingTitan ReloadingLee PrecisionSnyders Jerky
MidSouth Shooters Supply Repackbox

Thread: Need advice on die size for Star Lube/Sizer

Boolit Bub

Need advice on die size for Star Lube/Sizer

I’m looking for a little advice with regards to the die I need for a lube/sizer I’m getting, and any other advice anyone might care to offer. I am not new to shooting or reloading, but I AM new to working with cast bullets.

I’m taking the plunge and buying a Magma/Star Lubesizer. I’m getting the basic machine plus the heated base. I may get the air feed system for the lube later. Don’t know about the bullet feeder.

Initially I’m going to be sizing bullets that were cast for 44 Mag. I have 8000 of them I got from a friend who quit shooting. These are cast, but not lubed or sized. They were cast on a commercial machine and are 240 grain SWC bullets. They appear to be very uniform and are nice bullets. I’m not sure what the alloy is but I think it’s wheel weight (or close). There is one large lube groove in the body of the bullet, and a narrower groove higher which I assume is the crimping groove.

I presume you do not put lube in the crimping groove, if that is what it is, but I’m not sure about that.

Between myself and a friend we have 4 different guns. All are S&W but one is an older 29-2 with a custom 5” bull barrel, one is brand new from the S&W Performance Shop with a 7 ½” barrel, one is a Hunter Classic with the 6 ½” barrel, and one is a basic 29-2 with a 4” barrel. All S&W in 44 Mag but all in different models and configurations.

Purpose is strictly target shooting.

Now I know in an ideal world one should slug the barrel and order a die sized accordingly (about 1/1000 larger). But if I do that I’ll need 4 dies. I guess that’s not impossible, but I’d like to buy them one at a time to keep immediate costs down.

So my question is, what size die should I get to “start” with? I understand most bullets for that caliber are either .429 or .430 and most “factory” bullets are .429.

Anybody want to toss out some thoughts, ideas, suggestions, etc?

Also, I’m not sure what kind of lube to get. I understand Magma sells a hard lube so I may just go with that. If anybody has any other suggestions with regards to lube I’d appreciate your thoughts. I want a hard lube (the reason for the heated base) because I understand it’s a lot less messy when reloading – and I’m told it works better.

Lastly, anybody got any thoughts on the machine itself? I understand it’s a good one, but am open to suggestions as to what I should get with it or for it.

Thanks in advance for any suggestions or tips.

Boolit Master

Grover Beach, CA. just ahead of Pismo Beach
    One size may not fit all. Slug the cyclinder throats of the 4 guns. If they are all the same (I would be suprised if they are) get a die that size. If you don't slug the cyclinders I would go with at least .430 or .431. My Ruger shoots the best with .432.

Carl

Boolit Master

1972 - if you post your question in the handgun section you will get a lot better responses.

Carl

Boolit Bub
    Okay, I'll try to move it to the hand gun section. Do I move it, or re-post it, or get a Moderator to move it?

Boolit Master

Just re-post it. Your question is more about fiting the boolits to your guns than about a Star sizer.
    The section you want is: Wheelguns, Pistols and Handcannons

Carl

Boolit Mold
    Hey 1972:

I got some of the Magma hard lube, the blue stuff......... I'll give it to you if you'll pay shipping.

I've switched over to a different lube.........

PM me and work out the details.

Boolit Master

one size as everyone said doesn't fit all but if i were to gamble i would opt for .430 probably will serve you well.
    I certainly am not going to pretend to know it all as I surely don't but i swage 44s at .4295 and have zero leading issues. I agree tighter is usually better though.

I am in need of a 44mag die for my star as well. My lyman 429 die has served me well , when used with 50/50 NRA zero residue in the barrel. awesome accuracy.

I shoot Rugers 3 and 2 screw varieties...smith 29's all lengths variants.

I dont know if I want to gamble on a .430 die or not. Although Murphy will let me know , when i buy one or the other...i will have to buy the other..lol.

Black Powder 100%

Livingston, La. 20 miles east of Baton Rouge, La.

Star Dies

When you want to order a new Star die you should contact Lathesmith who is a member of this forum.
    I have been using Stars since 1970 and he makes a die that is better than those from Magma. I feel the stock and workmanship both are better. He treats all forum members well and is a good man to answer your questions when it comes to size.
    A .429 is probably on the small side for a lot of 44magnums that are produced today. Rugers and others are as much as .432 and above at times.
    You need to slug your bores on all guns and measure the throats on the cylinders.
    I shoot 44-40 that measure .427 and shoot bullets that are run through a .429 lube die made by Lathesmith.
    He tells me that a .429 die is made to .4285 unless the customer request it to be sized different. He has made my dies for years and I would not deal with anyone else.
    Shooter of the "HOLY BLACK" SASS 81802 AKA FAIRSHAKE; NRA ; BOLD; WARTHOG;Deadwood Marshal;Bayou Bounty Hunter; So That his place shall never be with those cold and timid souls who neither know victory nor defeat; 44 WCF filled to the top, 210 gr. bullet