Reloading EverythingMidSouth Shooters SupplyLee PrecisionWideners
Load DataTitan ReloadingInline FabricationSnyders Jerky
Repackbox RotoMetals2

Thread: My dad's at peace now

Boolit Buddy

My dad's at peace now

My dad passed away peacefully in his sleep last night, in his own home in Prescott. It seemed he was really holding on for his 100th birthday in April, and had a pretty steady decline since then. So this certainly wasn’t unexpected, and I’m joyful that he’s in a better place and back together with my mom.

I was able to tell him on Thanksgiving that my older son and his wife are expecting their first child, and his caretaker’s son said he was smiling at the news. The circle of life goes on.

He taught me a lot—to put family first, about guns and shooting, how to build a house, how to heat a tool in the forge and draw out a new point, and on and on. How to be a man.

Guns were always important to him, and I think he was probably happiest when he had his own shop, Scotty’s Gun Shop, in Surrey, N.D. from 1945-56. (His first name was Stewart, but everyone in Surrey called him Scotty, even though his parents were Irish, not Scots.)

It wasn’t easy watching him age. He stopped shooting anything other than black powder about 10 years ago, and then only his flinchlocks, then stopped shooting completely. He’d go to the range and spot for me, and was happy to make the loop of gun shops near Prescott when I’d visit about every other month, but even that much interest stopped just before he turned 100.

So, Dad, I’m going to miss you. After almost 10 years of calling you on the phone every morning to say “Hi,” it’s going to be strange to not have that ritual. But I’ll think about you every time I walk into the gun room and see one of the rifles you built or stocked, and smile to myself every time I go to the range.

Richard
    Plans and dreams are what we have until life gets in the way.

XNGH E Clampus Vitus, Platrix Chapter No. 2 "Credo Quia Absurdum"

Boolit Master

my prayers and sympathies.

Boolit Grand Master
    Those are great memories, unfortunately not everyone has those kind of wonderful memories of their dad.

You're fortunate.

Ben

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by Typecaster View Post
    My dad passed away peacefully in his sleep last night, in his own home in Prescott. It seemed he was really holding on for his 100th birthday in April, and had a pretty steady decline since then. So this certainly wasn’t unexpected, and I’m joyful that he’s in a better place and back together with my mom.

I was able to tell him on Thanksgiving that my older son and his wife are expecting their first child, and his caretaker’s son said he was smiling at the news. The circle of life goes on.

He taught me a lot—to put family first, about guns and shooting, how to build a house, how to heat a tool in the forge and draw out a new point, and on and on. How to be a man.

Guns were always important to him, and I think he was probably happiest when he had his own shop, Scotty’s Gun Shop, in Surrey, N.D. from 1945-56. (His first name was Stewart, but everyone in Surrey called him Scotty, even though his parents were Irish, not Scots.)

It wasn’t easy watching him age. He stopped shooting anything other than black powder about 10 years ago, and then only his flinchlocks, then stopped shooting completely. He’d go to the range and spot for me, and was happy to make the loop of gun shops near Prescott when I’d visit about every other month, but even that much interest stopped just before he turned 100.

So, Dad, I’m going to miss you. After almost 10 years of calling you on the phone every morning to say “Hi,” it’s going to be strange to not have that ritual. But I’ll think about you every time I walk into the gun room and see one of the rifles you built or stocked, and smile to myself every time I go to the range.

Richard
    Fair Skies "Scotty."
    GSSF RSO
    NRA RSO
    DU

"People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf."
    George Orwell

These are the times that try men's souls.
    Thomas Payne

Cast Boolits Founder/B.O.B.

You cherish those memories, He earned them. My condolences.
    Boolits= as God laid it into the soil,,grand old Galena,the Silver Stream graciously hand poured into molds for our consumption.

Bullets= Machine made utilizing Full Length Gas Checks as to provide projectiles for the masses.

http://www.cafepress.com/castboolits

castboolits@gmail.com

You will think of calling him for years to come. When my Dad went at first it hurt when I realised I could not call. Now it triggers good memories.
    Thanks for sharing a little part of your Dad with us.
    Jay
    "The .30-06 is never a mistake." Townsend Whelen

"THESE are the times that try men's souls. The summer soldier and the sunshine patriot will, in this crisis, shrink from the service of their country; but he that stands by it now, deserves the love and thanks of man and woman. Tyranny, like hell, is not easily conquered; yet we have this consolation with us, that the harder the conflict, the more glorious the triumph."
    Thomas Paine

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by Typecaster View Post

Richard
    Richard,

I just thought of what you said about calling, it's just going to be one-way but there is no reason it can't be a confrence call. I thank the big guy every morning for my kids and my family. Hang tough, we are here for you.
    GSSF RSO
    NRA RSO
    DU

"People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf."
    George Orwell

These are the times that try men's souls.
    Thomas Payne

Boolit Grand Master

Where our governors, congressmen AND THEIR WIVES make our license plates
    You were indeed fortunate.

May a great dad rest in peace.
    WE WON. WE BEAT THE MACHINE. WE HAVE CCW NOW.

In Remebrance

I envy all those extra years you had with your Dad, you were blessed. My condolences on your loss, he sounds like a fine man.

Boolit Buddy
    Condolences to you and your family. My Dad has been gone 15 months(96 years old), I miss him, but when I think of him it is always happy thought's.

Moderator Emeritus

You have my sympathy for your loss and my admiration for all of the wonderful times that you spent together. Scotty sounds like he was a great man.
    [The Montana Gianni] Front sight and squeeze

In Remembrance

My condolences. It's been 8 years since my Dad passed and I still think of asking his advice often.

Boolit Master
    You are a fortunate man to have had him in your life, and for such a long time. My father passed away too young, only 55. Sometimes I encounter something interesting that I know he would like to see, and for a brief moment I think to myself, 'I can't wait to tell him about it'.
    In my heart I know he's still with me in that way. You must have those memories to relive and enjoy. My sympathies.
    Dutch

"The future ain't what it used to be".
    -Yogi Berra.

Boolit Master
    God bless him and you.......
    Paul

My sincerest condolences at your loss.Your Dad will always be there for you,in spirit. I know my brother is,we had those same kind of phone calls and I miss them terribly.
    RIP,sir.