WidenersRotoMetals2RepackboxLee Precision
Snyders JerkyInline FabricationLoad DataTitan Reloading
MidSouth Shooters Supply Reloading Everything
Page 7 of 12 FirstFirst 123456789101112 LastLast

Thread: Practical Dope on the 7.62X39

Boolit Grand Master
    Re-reading C.E. Harris, I noticed, what could be, an error.
    " You can also try 18-21 grs. of 4198 or 16-18 grs. of 4227 with any bullet from 122-125 grs."
    Should it have been "122-155 grs"??????

Load I'm using for the SKS is:
    14.5 / 2400
    Lee 160gr 2R / 314di / GC
    Works great. Cycle fine.
    I'm trying to find a load for my Rashid.
    The SKS load will not cycle.
    I'm thinking a slower powder might do it.
    I have lots of surplus Data 2200.
    Any suggestion to a starting load???

How do the Lee TL boolets work in the SKS????
    Do they lead any????
    Would Lee Alox be the best lube for it????

How do the Lee TL boolets work in the SKS????
    Do they lead any????
    Would Lee Alox be the best lube for it????
    I shoot the Lee gas check TL version in both my SKS rifles as a plus it work just as well in my Mosin rifles as they both share the same groove diameter. Just to add I've found that sizes down to .311" it gives excellent results in my Sav. 99 in 300 Sav. as well.

No leading issues as far as the bore goes in any application I've used the bullet in. The only exception is some light lead buildup on the face of the gas piston over and extended shooting secession which is easily removed during normal cleaning soon after shooting.

Straight Alox thinned with a little mineral spirits should work fine ,it's what I used before I started mixing my own recluse lube which is 45% Alox 45% cooked down JPW and 10% Mineral Spirits. I've also found that preheating the bullets either in the sun or on a hot pad till there warm gives a much more even coat of lube as apposed to applying it to a cold bullet.

As far as your Rashid goes I found a similar situation when working up cast loads for some Yugoslavian and Russian SKS rifles that didn't want to function with the Max. load of Alliant 2400. I switched over to my old standby powder for J bullets in the SKS Reloader #7. Using the above mentioned bullet and the starting load of 18.0 grs. and they all cycled without a hitch. The Max. load using the Lyman cast bullet manuals data with the TL bullet and Reloader#7 is 20.5 grs.

This one seems to be doing quite well.

Boolit Mold
    would love some good load data for 180 grain lee cast rn sized to 311, with 2400, looking to make up some hog hunting rounds. anyone have any exp with this ? if so please let me know.

Boolit Master
    I am finishing up a mauser98 with 7.62x39 barrel. I'l be working up a load for the same mold.

Boolit Buddy
    Anybody messed with the super light weight cast boolits, like the 85gr ones? I haven't found ANY data on the internet, or in reloading manuals.

I'm sure Someone has experimented with this weight.

I'm not looking at cycling the action at all. Slower speed and accuracy trumps getting my brass thrown 10 feet away. (I prefer not to have dented cases.)
    Check out my vendors section:
    http://castboolits.gunloads.com/forumdisplay.php?231-Andy-s-Slow-Rust-Blue

"As democracy is perfected, the office of the President represents, more and more closely, the inner soul of the people. On some great and glorious day, the plain folks of the land will reach their heart's desire at last and the White House will be occupied by a downright fool and complete narcissistic moron."
    H.L. Mencken

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by andremajic View Post
    Anybody messed with the super light weight cast boolits, like the 85gr ones? I haven't found ANY data on the internet, or in reloading manuals.

I'm sure Someone has experimented with this weight.
    I'm not looking at cycling the action at all. Slower speed and accuracy trumps getting my brass thrown 10 feet away. (I prefer not to have dented cases.)
    Do you mean the .32 cal pistol boolits in a rifle ????
    If so, I bet they can be sent downrange at quite a warm speed.

Boolit Master
    That's supposing they are gas checked... Most of those pistol bullets aren't.....

Hello to All.
    I have a SKS made in Tula in 1950 year. It shoot fine but a lose many brass becouse it are ejected so far that reach the green opposite the shooting range. There is a manner to catch the brasses (brass catcher???)???
    Thanks in advance
    Nino

Quote Originally Posted by iwottopq View Post
    Thanks in advance
    Nino
    Ciao Nino! Date un'occhiata a questo:

http://www.best-price.com/search/lan...tcher/s/yahoo/

I migliori auguri a voi!
    "Everyone has a plan, until they get punched in the face!" - Mike Tyson

"Don't let my fears become yours." - Me, talking to my children

That look on your face, when you shift into 6th gear, but it's not there.

Hello to all.
    Thanks Wilco for your help. I thinks that this is the solution.
    Ciao
    Nino

LukeLewis, H335 will work fine in both 5.56mm and 7.62x39mm. AA#1680 does NOT work fine in 5.56mm, but outstanding in 7.62x39mm.

Boolit Bub
    Hello again,
    I recently acquired a Norinco JW-103 BushRanger in 7.62X39. I'm looking to cast and shoot bullets heavier than the 123-130 grs that are common to this cartridge. Something around 160-180 grs. would be nice. I've read the whole thread and there is a LOT of information there. Does anyone have this rifle and what is your experience using heavier bullets?
    Thanks for your thoughts,
    Mike

I know I have a problem! I'm not asking for a cure.......just the next fix!

I had to look that one up - is that a Mauser style action? What I can tell you is the loads I posted above work wonders in my CZ527M/CSR, which is basically the same type of rifle, a short, bolt action carbine. I have used the Lee 160 grain cast, and the load that works well in the CZ is; 160gr cast “H” alloy, (a little harder than Lyman #2), with 20.5gr AA#1680 at 2.185 COAL. Your results may differ.

iv been using 16 grains of 2400 behind a 110 grn fmj in my AK for a while and its a nice punchy but not shoulder breaking round

Boolit Bub
    Quote Originally Posted by armoredman View Post
    I had to look that one up - is that a Mauser style action? What I can tell you is the loads I posted above work wonders in my CZ527M/CSR, which is basically the same type of rifle, a short, bolt action carbine. I have used the Lee 160 grain cast, and the load that works well in the CZ is; 160gr cast “H” alloy, (a little harder than Lyman #2), with 20.5gr AA#1680 at 2.185 COAL. Your results may differ.
    Armoredman,
    I'm told it's the Chinese version of the CZ527. I've not seen the CZ so I can't verify the statement. Inexpensive compared to the CZ, $279 Canadian from Marstar, when available.
    Mike

I know I have a problem! I'm not asking for a cure.......just the next fix!

Boolit Buddy
    How many firings are you guys getting out of a case with an sks. Do you anneal? Brass in Canada is fairly expensive at 50c a piece for this calibre

well iv had at least 1 got with my winchester brass and 16 grains of 2400 behind a 110 fmj , but it seems my lee size decapper dusnt like my brass and wont fully seat into hte die so only half extracts the primer..... which makes it stuck in the holder... i think its the bulged area on the primer pin is to wide and just wedging with the thick brass.. i may have to file it down a hair and see if that works ..... otherwise reloading is gonan get dam expensive to keep buying new brass

Boolit Buddy
    Anyone have an answer on this?

Page 7 of 12 FirstFirst 123456789101112 LastLast