RotoMetals2Inline FabricationMidSouth Shooters SupplyLee Precision
WidenersReloading EverythingRepackboxTitan Reloading
Load Data
Page 2 of 12 FirstFirst 1234567891011 ... LastLast

Thread: Practical Dope on the 7.62X39

Boolit Master

Alturas, California...where the west still lives!
    Well, for openers that $200 for bullets would be better spent on a mold, lead pot and ladle (after all, this IS a casting forum!). A simple Lee setup along with a couple of sizers would let you use the same mold for several .30 caliber rifles...use the change to buy accesories.

I'm like you. I want the most bang for my buck, so I cast. As far as powder, any of the major online distributors usually run specials on powder/primers so it's just a matter of keeping an eye out for them. I think prices will come down a bit once the current "feeding frenzy" dies off.

Believe me, the satisfaction is real. You'll be happily blasting away while your buddies tremble at the thought of shooting their expensive "drug store" ammo!

Boolit Buddy
    I sure am glad I found this thread. My mold should be here this week, Lee 155gr, and am looking forward to trying cast out in my SKS. Thanks to those who started this thread and hopefully I am not the only one who found this useful.

I am mortally embarrassed, I posted in this thread 12-31-08, stated I had had the mould for a year prior, and yesterday morning, I cast the first boolits from that mould, 5-8-2010. That thing sat for 3 years without being used, that's terrible. I put the gas checks on, sized, tumble lubed, will be loaded soon and test fired in a CZ 527M 7.62x39mm carbine.
    After all this time I hope it's good.

Boolit Buddy
    erwin.zeez thats why most of us cast,we can taylor our bullets to the barrel, for outmost accuracy, as for brass you can find it at gun shows trades with others, ayy kinds of ways, as for your true expence, that will be for primers, around or up to 40.00, and powder say 40.00 well in my 3rd grade math class thats 80.00, so dude we cast and load way on the cheap, when there is a will there is a way

Fired first 7.62x39mm cast boolits today, worked very well.

Boolit Buddy

Talking pics and data

Quote Originally Posted by armoredman View Post
    Fired first 7.62x39mm cast boolits today, worked very well.
    WE NEED PICS AND/OR DATA!!!!! GOTTA, GOTTA KNOW WHAT IS GOING ON
    A veteran is someone who, at one point in his life wrote a blank check made payable to "The United States of America " for an amount of "up to and including my life."

Boolit Buddy
    that recommended 15.5 grains of 2400 with the 155 grain mold Mr. harris developed for Lee, works VERY well for me.

Boolit Mold
    Agreed, I have tried 13 to 15 grains of 2400 in my Russian Sks and 15 seems to be the sweet spot for function and grouping.

Cactus

Using the Lee TL 160 gr. GC bullet my Chinese SKS cycles fine with 12.5 grs of 2400,drops the brass right at my feet,14.5 grs. mimics factory ammo as far as throwing the brass 20+ ft. away. I also shoot the same load in my Yugo M59/66A1 and get equal results brass wise,although the groups on the Yugo are not as good.

Old post http://castboolits.gunloads.com/showthread.php?t=73295

Boolit Master
    Anybody have a suggestion on loads for a lighter cast bullet, say 135g or so? I have a source for those but haven't found the heavier ones, and "sigh" I don't cast yet....
    Paul

Oh, pics? I can do that, got interrupted testing by a bank/moving issue, will resume in a week or so. Is OK.

Had t hold pretty high, made some hotter ones, still pretty ukewarm, but haven't gotten out to try them yet. Casting more boolits this weekend, I hope.

Also using in my vz-58, good results so far.

Found some I'd loaded some with 27.5 grains of H4895...now where did I get that load data from?

Trying the new boolit, a 129 grainer with a HECK of a sharp point.

No bench, so shot kneeling, dagnabbit, but I think it has potential!

Now that I have time/boolits/etc., the weather and sickness says stay home, dagnabbit.

This is what I am loading these days. COAL for Lee is 2.2, NOE is 2.18, and the Lyman is 2.10.

Boolit Master at Heaven's Range. txpete's Avatar
    have you tried any heavier bullets?.I was thinking about trying the lee 185 and maybe going subsonic.

Boolit Mold
    Can someone please give me advice on lead removal?
    I have a CZ VZ-58 (Resembles an AK-47) that currently has a badly leaded gas block. The gas block is so severely leaded I cannot get the gas piston to return to its home position. I read the Harris essay, and understand the use of shotguns bore brush to clear the gas tube; However the VZ-58 doesn’t have a gas tube. I tried the following to remove the lead fouling in the gas block; 1) I used a heat gun in an attempt to melt away the lead inside the gas block. This method may have worked, I was just afraid of doing some kind of heat damage to the firearm. I only managed to remove a small amount of the lead fouling 2) I used the fine tip of a soldering iron to probe inside the gas block bore to melt and remove lead. Unfortunately I could not get the small line of molten lead out of the gas block with the fine soldering iron tip.
    I am stuck, could someone offer an idea that will help me remove the heavy lead fouling from the gas block bore of my VZ-58.

Thank you so very much in advance!!!
    Robin M. Smith

Boolit Master
    Reamer with the right size will remove the leading from the straight part. The gas hole is trickier.. I think that if you remove the lead from the up, and shoot some jacketed full power loads, the gases blows the rest away.. or atleast to a place where it is axessible..

S

Banned

Is that Lyman 128.5 grainer the #311359? I have that mold and plan to use it in my mini Mauser when I get a chance to cast some.

Yes, that's the 311359 Lyman mold, boolits sent to me by a great member here. Your mini mauser a CZ 527M? Mine is.
    Stickbow, I am shooting cast in a vz-58, haven't run into leading like that - what were you shooting? My WW gas check boolits don't seem to lead at all. Go to czforumsite.info and czech into our vz-58 forum. We have Czechpoint as a regular with thier own subforum there as well as Niet and NEA - someone knows exactly what you need!

Quote Originally Posted by Stickbow View Post
    Can someone please give me advice on lead removal?
    I have a CZ VZ-58 (Resembles an AK-47) that currently has a badly leaded gas block. The gas block is so severely leaded I cannot get the gas piston to return to its home position. I read the Harris essay, and understand the use of shotguns bore brush to clear the gas tube; However the VZ-58 doesn’t have a gas tube. I tried the following to remove the lead fouling in the gas block; 1) I used a heat gun in an attempt to melt away the lead inside the gas block. This method may have worked, I was just afraid of doing some kind of heat damage to the firearm. I only managed to remove a small amount of the lead fouling 2) I used the fine tip of a soldering iron to probe inside the gas block bore to melt and remove lead. Unfortunately I could not get the small line of molten lead out of the gas block with the fine soldering iron tip.
    I am stuck, could someone offer an idea that will help me remove the heavy lead fouling from the gas block bore of my VZ-58.

Thank you so very much in advance!!!
    Robin M. Smith
    I dab a little gun grease on the plunger on my SKS where the gas hits it. I haven't had much in the way of leading frankly either on the rod end or hear or around the gas hole on the barrel.

In my experience shooting jacketed bullets after lead just irons in the lead and doesn't clean the barrel at all. I use Chor Boy strands wrapped around a cleaning brush to get any lead out of the rifling.

Take Care

Bob
    Its been months since I bought the book, "How to scam people online". It still has not arrived yet!

"If the human population held hands around the equator, a significant portion of them would drown"

Page 2 of 12 FirstFirst 1234567891011 ... LastLast