WidenersMidSouth Shooters SupplyInline FabricationLoad Data
RepackboxTitan ReloadingSnyders JerkyRotoMetals2
Lee Precision Reloading Everything
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Tumbler motor dead-Replacement?

Boolit Master

Lawyerman: Just for fun, plug in the tumbler and then shake it. If you can get the weight going I bet the motor will start. You will still need a new motor, but it wiil work in a pinch. Just to add to the fire, I had the large Dillon tumbler. Hated it, too noisy, and if you started it with the lid off the media went on the floor. Will stick to my 3 Lymans, one of which is over 12 years old and still going strong. I do love my Dillon 550, which is 15 years old and works great. As to upgrading your equipment, sometimes you get it right the first time. Like my 1911, don't need no upgrading.

Lawyerman----Springfield suggested you shake your tumbler to get it going. Heck don't even plug it in,just shake it for however long you want things to tumble and it will be really quiet and save you electricity. That should work equally with all brands,so there wont be any shoulda bought a Dillon. Glad I could help.

Boolit Master
    I had my Midway tumbler break the bearing housing and just wrapped a hose clamp around it and used it for another 6-months. Would not recommend that htough as one morning I was tumbling some cases and left them in for about three hours. Came in the garage & smelled this hot smell and the motor was about on fire. Lucked out & got another one at the thrift store off of a smaller vibratory machine . Never could find out where to just purchase the motor. It isn't exactly rocket science to put one in ya know.

Generous Donator

Go to Grainger's website and look up motors. I got my last replacement motor from them. Do't remember if I had to do any mods but it does work nice. Don't know what I did with the part number but they do have a nice selection of motors. Mark

lawyerman, i know that they told you it has a lifetime warranty, i just found my paperwork on mine and it says it does have a lifetime warranty. so you should let midway fix it. mine will be going back this week for a switch. dave

Boolit Grand Master

Springfield;
    You mentioned that you hated your Dillon large vibratory tumbler because of noise. I had the same problem (bought one right after they came out). However, I carefully cleaned the lid, and installed 1/8" thick one inch wide self sticking weatherstripping (foam rubber) to the lid where it contacts the top edge of the bowl.

Problem solved (you won't believe how quiet it became). It still, after all of these years, has the same weatherstripping.

Dale53

Boolit Mold
    I had a Vibrashine that did that. The bearing support plates on the motor had 4 small projections in them that hold the bearing and armature centered. Years of use wore them till the armature was no longer centered. For awhile I just turned the tumbler on and spun the fan and it would run. Finally fixed it by taking the plate off and centering the bearing and JB Welding it in place. Be careful to get the JB only on the outside of the bearing. Worked for a couple of years then the other end went bad. Fixed it and have been using it for 3 or 4 years since.

Boolit Grand Master

Midway Tumbler

Quote Originally Posted by Lawyerman View Post
    My old Midway tumbler died. The moter just hums but won't vibrate the bowl. Where can I get a replacment motor? Any ideas?
    Won't Midway replace it?? They stand behind most of there stuff. My RCBS has been back there twice in 15 years, both times fixed fro free, less my shippin it to them.

Shiloh

Boolit Master
    In '99 I bought a Berry's tumbler for $45 from my supplier of reloading stuff.
    About three yrs ago it quit and I shipped it back and they replaced it with a new one, even a new lid for the extra cracked lid I included.

In Dec the motor burned up. Said to mail the unit back and they'd put a new motor in for $17. As much as I use it, well worth it for me.

I put the tape insulation on the top outside of the lid just to absorb the noise. does a decent job. but, I'm mostly deaf and live alone so p on it. Wouldn't matter to me IF it bothered my neighbors. Kinda wish it did!!

Springs here, you should have 'em all polished and loaded by now.

Good to learn Midway's got a l/t on theirs.
    George so I can:

Gun Control is NOT About Guns!
    It's about CONTROL!
    Join the NRA Today

Lm: NRA, NAHC, NAFC, N***/WS

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12