MidSouth Shooters SupplySnyders JerkyTitan ReloadingRotoMetals2
Lee PrecisionRepackboxWidenersLoad Data
Inline Fabrication Reloading Everything

Thread: Swaging a bore ride nose:

Boolit Master

Swaging a bore ride nose:

This is a modified Lyman H&I die made to my specifications (with a considerable amount of advice) for me by our own Lathesmith. I chose our "Star" (no pun intended) die maker because this die is a push down only sizer. The heart of this affair are SAECO "S" type neck size bushings that fit into the top portion of the die. A center pin pushes the sized boolit, and bushing, up and out. Once inverted, the boolit and bushing are again placed into the counterbore, then pushed apart by a suitable nose punch. There is very little resistance separating boolit from bush. I recommend sizing in .001" increments for ease of sizing. Any spray type case sizing lube will suffice if needed.

I do hope the images are self explanatory. I'll post more images and info if asked.

Y.T.,
    walltube

In Remembrance

Thanks for posting this. I've been thinking of trying something on this order. I was thinking of reaming a small cal. seating die to bore dia.- and leaving out the seating stem for a way to push out the boolit using a rod like the bullet seater in the Lee hand loader set.

Boolit Master
    DLCTEX,
    You are welcome.
    A Swiss K31 was the inspiration here.

All those undersize Lyman moulds on hand are now earning their keep. Too small a diameter to be of any practical use in any of my .308"+ groove depth barrelled riifles, they now feed the K31. The two boolits pictured are a Lyman 311334 on the left and an Ohaus 190S to the right.

NOE 311284 with its .302+ nose was a bit too tight for a custom 300 WinMag throat. The boolit was shoved far too deep into the case beyond the shoulder\neck juncture for my comfort. That problem is now solved.

Wt.