RotoMetals2Load DataLee PrecisionSnyders Jerky
Inline FabricationReloading EverythingTitan ReloadingMidSouth Shooters Supply
Repackbox Wideners

Thread: Electrochemical bore cleaner

Boolit Master

Electrochemical bore cleaner

Anyone make and use a homemade electrochemical bore cleaner such as the one shown in American Gunsmith, Aug 1998? It looks as simple as outers III but dont know how well it would work on lead? THANKS LB

Boolit Master

made one and do use it....works great,,,
    dont know what the one on american gunsmith looks like but the principle is straight forward and simple.
    a couple of D batteries, a flashlight bulb, positive and negative leads and a straight steel rod
    just make sure the rod is not touching the bore....add some ammonia,,,,be careful NOT to spill the ammonia on the stock or surface metal......and ALWAYS, after you have finished the cleaning process, run a patch with light machine oil down the bore; you dont want any ammonia traces left in the bore

Boolit Grand Master

I made one and use it often, works great. The solution I use is 1 part vinegar, 1 part household ammonia-3% and 2 parts distilled water.
    Charter Member #148

Boolit Master
    I have been ask about the article I posted about http://www.geocities.com/kemays/foulout.htm
    Some have used pure household ammonia but that sounds pretty aggresive to me? Not worried about copper just need the lead out.

Boolit Grand Master

The link does not work for me, says website no longer available.
    Charter Member #148

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by kokomokid View Post
    I have been ask about the article I posted about http://www.geocities.com/kemays/foulout.htm
    Some have used pure household ammonia but that sounds pretty aggresive to me? Not worried about copper just need the lead out.
    The lead will not stick to the rod, the only thing the chemicals do in the case of lead is get under the lead so a tight brush on a cleaning rod can remove it.

Copper Chore Boy wrapped around an old bore brush does the same thing without the chemicals.

If you shoot the mil surp rifles then an electro chemical bore cleaner is good to have around.
    Calamity Jake

NRA Life Member
    SASS 15704
    Shoot straight, keepem in the ten ring.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by Calamity Jake View Post
    The lead will not stick to the rod, the only thing the chemicals do in the case of lead is get under the lead so a tight brush on a cleaning rod can remove it.

Copper Chore Boy wrapped around an old bore brush does the same thing without the chemicals.

If you shoot the mil surp rifles then an electro chemical bore cleaner is good to have around.
    So it's really too bad the ATF just banned copper Chore Boy.

I have an Outers II. Using the new chemicals it works pretty fast. I made a bore cleaner once using plans off the internet. A flashlight, stainless rod, clips, o rings and a water/amonia mix. it worked pretty good too.
    R J Talley
    Teacher/James Madison Fellow

Boolit Man

Bore cleaner

Could I use a homemade cleaner with Oters solutions?

I'm not sure. I don't theink there would a problem such as a negative reaction, I just don't diluting the Outer's solutions wouold have an advantage
    R J Talley

Boolit Master
    Got my homemade rig going last night with Outers lead out and tried it on a .22 bbl about 100 years old. Had to clean the stainless rod 4 times and bbl 1 time in 2 hours. Took 12 tight flannel patches to get all the rust colored gunk out of the bbl. Dont know what it was , but I used a spent hull with teflon tape for a plug and it was somewhat ate up. It did do some foaming but not bad.

When I used an electronic cleaner the first time several years ago, it was on an old 03A3 that had been bubbaed years before. I was amazed at the level of crud that came out. Layer upon layer. In the end, I actually had some deep grooves and sharp lands. This is the way to go for sure.
    R J Talley

Banned

I'm still on a mining dig project with my outers III and my M1891. It's gone from a layer of lead to copper, back to lead and I think I'm on to another layer of copper. Unbelievable. This is after choreboy, hoppes, and sweets by hand.

The bore is getting smoother and smoother and the shiny rifling is looking good. I would not have been able to clean this rifle without the Outers.