WidenersTitan ReloadingSnyders JerkyReloading Everything
RotoMetals2MidSouth Shooters SupplyLoad DataRepackbox
Inline Fabrication Lee Precision

Thread: Cast in 7mm-08

Boolit Master

Cast in 7mm-08

Is anyone shooting cast in their 7mm-08? I'm considering buying a mold to give it a try. What molds are you useing and what are your shooting results? I kind of like the RCBS 145 grain. The bullet will be used for both target and hunting. The flat tip on the RCBS design might be a little better on game. Welcoming all opinions.

Nighthunter

I am shooting cast in a 14" 7/08 wichita sillouette pistol @ up to and including 200 meteres and it seems to do just fine! The mould that I have is a 5 cavity Noe 7mm hunter and casts a 150 gr. flat point, gas checked boolit. I think that there is a group buy re-run going on right now for this mould . Might still be able to get in on it ?

Boolit Master
    Thanks Blaser ... I'll look into it.

Nighthunter

Boolit Master
    My son's NEF single is being currently stoked with 11 grains 2400 under the lee 130 soup can. Getting about 2 inches at 100 for accuracy and I dont know velocity, but they are pretty stoked up and I would not hesitate hittin a pig or deer with one. No recoil what so ever, so the boy is enjoying getting to shoot more. I plan on using them all during the spring and summer for yotes, skunks, hogs, etc so should know how they act on bone and flesh by next deer season. 50/50 WW/pure air cooled.
    I came into this world kicking, screaming, and covered in someone elses blood. I plan to go out the same way.

Boolit Master
    I have watched a friend shoot one beyond belief.

Its a Savage action rifle built from bits and pieces by him.
    Bullet is a Lyman 287641.
    Lube is Lyman super moly
    Powder is AA5744
    alloy is usually straight wheel weights

His groups at 200yrds are incredible.

I will pitch in. I have recently started shooting cast thru my 7-08. I am working up loads to shoot Metallic Silhouette on a reduced course to 300 meters. My best load so far is a Lee 130gr, gas checked over 15.6 A2400 with a 1.1gr darcon filler. Chronoed speed is averaging 1860fps. This load will knock over a 25 pound ram at 300 meters.

For offhand practice on the cheap, 6.7gr Reddot, Lee 130 sans check. If I do my part, I can hit the 1 foot square gong at 200 yds everytime.

Next, I need to work up a load for the 55lbs Rams at the full 500 meter distance. Looking to get the RCBS 168gr 7mm mould and using slower powders. I would think that 2000fps would be the bare minimum, 2200fps would be better.

Mike

Boolit Grand Master

Don't have a 7-08, but do shoot a 7x57 in a 77 Ruger that shoots cast like a million bucks. No reason why a 7-08 should not shoot as well.
    1Shirt!
    "Common Sense Is An Uncommon Virtue" Ben Franklin

"Ve got too soon old and too late smart" Pa.Dutch Saying