Load DataMidSouth Shooters SupplyInline FabricationLee Precision
Snyders JerkyWidenersRepackboxReloading Everything
Titan Reloading RotoMetals2
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Rossi Rio Grande 30/30

Rossi Rio Grande 30/30

I did a search and come up empty. Any one have one. Pro's and con's. They sell for $605. (stainless) here in Australia. Sounds like a good cast gun. I need a replacment for my Savage 170 which is becoming unruly.
    Lead foot;

Boolit Bub
    I have one. I haven`t been to the range yet with it. I am going to try the Lee 150 and 170 grain bullets. The 170`s will not feed through the gate, so I have high hopes for the 150`s.

It is basically a copy of a Marlin 336. Mine is pretty smooth for a new rifle. While I had it apart I checked the lever and took care of the sharp edge that can cause the Marlin jam.

I will post with my results after shooting it.

I am looking forward to a report also, as I like the full length magazine on these. I am still undecided on one of these or a Marlin with a mag change in 45/70. I have a Marlin 30 as in 30/30 that I like alot tho.

Quote Originally Posted by Rayc384 View Post
    I have one. I haven`t been to the range yet with it. I am going to try the Lee 150 and 170 grain bullets. The 170`s will not feed through the gate, so I have high hopes for the 150`s.

It is basically a copy of a Marlin 336. Mine is pretty smooth for a new rifle. While I had it apart I checked the lever and took care of the sharp edge that can cause the Marlin jam.

I will post with my results after shooting it.
    Thanks rayc. Shame about the 170 not loading. Iv'e got the 180 RCBS. Love to hear the results thought.
    lead foot;

Boolit Buddy
    I know the Mossberg 30-30 lever action sucks. Definitly stay away from it even thogh it has a decent price tag. The safety is a hand cutter because of it's placement and finish.
    I keep trying to stay afloat but can't help from shooting holes in my own boat.

I just bought one. They look to be well made ~ stainless so hard wearing, will make a good truck gun. I was worried about what Rayc said about the 170gr boolit not loading. I asked the guy about it and he said they did have trouble with the load plate screw not being tighted corectly. He said you losen the screw, ajust the load plate ~ then tighten.
    Lead foot;

Any chance of a photo? I haven't seen these in Canada yet.

Take care

Bob
    Its been months since I bought the book, "How to scam people online". It still has not arrived yet!

"If the human population held hands around the equator, a significant portion of them would drown"

Sorry robertbank. This is Australia, we gotta get a permit. It takes forever. There system is in overload and a disgrace. Can take three weeks or three months. I bought the gun but can't pick it up till I get the permit.I here Canada had a similer mess too. The pollie's make these stupid laws and can't make them work.
    Sorry for the vent but I feel better now.
    Lead foot;

Quote Originally Posted by lead Foot View Post
    Sorry robertbank. This is Australia, we gotta get a permit. It takes forever. There system is in overload and a disgrace. Can take three weeks or three months. I bought the gun but can't pick it up till I get the permit.I here Canada had a similer mess too. The pollie's make these stupid laws and can't make them work.
    Sorry for the vent but I feel better now.
    Lead foot;
    Well over here it isn't quite that bad. Due to our proximity to the US the anti-gun crowd were held back somewhat in their enthusiasm to pass or administer laws stupidly. I must admit though we have two Provinces, Ontario and Quebec, that relish in administrative paper work. Our gun laws are just stupid and there is no other word for it but not near what you folks have to endure. Our Long Gun Registry is about to be rescinded by our Conservative Government which will help end some of the nonsense.

Take Care

Bob
    Its been months since I bought the book, "How to scam people online". It still has not arrived yet!

"If the human population held hands around the equator, a significant portion of them would drown"

Here's a link for more info. Sounds like they are going to make them with a synthetic stock.
    http://www.shootingtimes.com/2011/05...ank_on_050311/

Boolit Master

I bought the 45-70, a blued rifle, and will pick it up early next week. My dealer had a 410 come in and it was a pretty good looking rifle. I'm a Marlin guy and had been thinking about adding a straight 1895 to compliment my "G" and "MR" (450 Marlin) but when Rossi announced the RF4570 I thought I would stick it out and give it a try. Took a year for it to come out.
    Michael

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by robertbank View Post
    Any chance of a photo? I haven't seen these in Canada yet.

Take care

Bob
    Found some Rossi Rio Grandes in .30-30 WCF online for sale at Wanstalls in British Columbia, Canada.

A handful of change shy of $520.
    GOA Life Member
    NRA Life Member

Boolit Buddy
    Well over here it isn't quite that bad. Due to our proximity to the US the anti-gun crowd were held back somewhat in their enthusiasm to pass or administer laws stupidly. I must admit though we have two Provinces, Ontario and Quebec, that relish in administrative paper work. Our gun laws are just stupid and there is no other word for it but not near what you folks have to endure. Our Long Gun Registry is about to be rescinded by our Conservative Government which will help end some of the nonsense.

Take Care

Bob
    Except for Toronto Police Chief Bill Blair who I hear is a dyed-in-the-wool Second Amendment guy.

He even looks a bit like "The Duke".
    GOA Life Member
    NRA Life Member

Pricedo thanks for the heads up. I'll take a look at one next time I am in Vancouver. Good to see you over here in the Cast Boolit form. Great place for information. Enjoy your stay.

Take Care

Bob aka Canuck44 on gunnutz

Boolit Master

Here's a thread over on Leverguns. http://www.levergunscommunity.com/vi...hp?f=1&t=36065
    "Masculine republics give way to feminine democracies, and feminine democracies give way to tyrannies.” Aristotle

Thanks fecmech you and Pricedo just cost me about $600.! By March one of those rifles will be sitting on my lap. I have been very happy with my two Rossis I have and it looks like they are going to get a stable mate. I just have to decide 45-70 or 30-30.

Take Care

Bob

Boolit Master

Thanks fecmech you and Pricedo just cost me about $600.
    No thanks required, I'm always happy to help my fellow shooters!
    "Masculine republics give way to feminine democracies, and feminine democracies give way to tyrannies.” Aristotle

Boolit Buddy
    Thanks fecmech you and Pricedo just cost me about $600.! By March one of those rifles will be sitting on my lap. I have been very happy with my two Rossis I have and it looks like they are going to get a stable mate. I just have to decide 45-70 or 30-30.

Take Care

Bob
    I don't think the Rio Grandes at Wanstalls will be hanging around there long @ $519.99.

They have a fairly decent vendor website.

Unfortunately as far as I know only the .30-30 Win is available.

The pre-safety Rossi Puma 92s that were at Frontier Firearms last year disappeared quick & now you can't find a Rossi 92 Canuckside anywhere.

The Rossi levers (92 or RG) are even getting scarce stateside.
    GOA Life Member
    NRA Life Member

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by lead Foot View Post
    I did a search and come up empty. Any one have one. Pro's and con's. They sell for $605. (stainless) here in Australia. Sounds like a good cast gun. I need a replacment for my Savage 170 which is becoming unruly.
    Lead foot;
    It strikes me funny that Rossi, a Brazilian company can manufacture credible 336 lever guns and Remington can't considering the number of snags Remington is having getting the new Marlin plant going & the number of substandard 336s coming out of said factory.
    GOA Life Member
    NRA Life Member

Quote Originally Posted by pricedo View Post
    I don't think the Rio Grandes at Wanstalls will be hanging around there long @ $519.99.

They have a fairly decent vendor website.

Unfortunately as far as I know only the .30-30 Win is available.

The pre-safety Rossi Puma 92s that were at Frontier Firearms last year disappeared quick & now you can't find a Rossi 92 Canuckside anywhere.

The Rossi levers (92 or RG) are even getting scarce stateside.
    Freedom Ventures is the importer up here. I'll give Sean a ring and see if there are more coming in. The gun is great value for the money. I just bought a M&P PRO for IDPA so funds ( Funds = Wife) won't allow another purchase until spring. I plan on selling my 30-30 Win anyways and I'll need another 30-30.

Take Care

Bob