RepackboxSnyders JerkyRotoMetals2Reloading Everything
Titan ReloadingInline FabricationWidenersLee Precision
Load Data MidSouth Shooters Supply

Thread: kaine bullet forming dies

kaine bullet forming dies

Is anyone here who has bought a set of Kaine dies used them yet? Someone besides the maker. Can you tell me how easy they are to use and what kind of accuracy you have gotten out of the bullets you made?

Boolit Buddy

I have them and used them. They seem to make a good bullet. I haven't shot any yet.

The process is pretty simple.
    Anneal cases (get them real hot, then let them cool)
    Run through de-rimming die
    -----They will now be cup shaped
    The set doesn't have a means of making a core. You need to find a way. I have made a mold. You can buy lead wire too.
    Swage the core to proper size
    Seat the core in the jacket
    Run the unit into the point forming die
    Size the bullet

That sums it up.
    There will be an amount of experimenting to get the right weight of core, the proper amount of point, etc..
    Write your stuff down. Once you get a combo that works, you're set.
    Come and take them, Boolits first.
    Zombie hunter, Lic# 3006

Boolit Master
    I do not own any dies. I have shot some of them and they did perform to high expectations. Seems that they make a projectile that if you can get the right load for them they will do pretty darn good.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dO9DCq3b9eI

Now keep in mind that 75 grain projectiles were not made properly. Not to say the dies did not work but just operator error.
    "Consequently we move away from other shooters to remain focused on our passion, as our ideas are quickly dismissed or misunderstood by others. Sharing does not come easily for swagers, not because they are necessarily selfish, but because they have been whittling away in their only little world for so long, that being able to relate to others what they understand is no simple task."

​Mentor

Boolit Buddy

I own a set and love them I have produced over 500 rnds, I did have 1 issue as somehow a burr was formed in the final sizing die( by what dan thinks was a rock) but I think the burr was there very early in its use, Regardless I sent it back to him and he cleaned it up and it has preformed flawless. My groups started out with a 5" at 100yds but that was with the burr which caused the bullets to have a uneven ogive I now have my groups within 2" at 100 and thats with 1 in the bullseye and 2 touching it and 2 1" to the left. Now thats with H322 which I had just purchased to try to tighten my 1" groups with Varget under matchkings@ 100yds. So I came to the conclusion that H322 SUCKS as I had the same results with the matchkings with 1 in the bullseye and 2 touching with 2 1" to the left (Im pushing them I think) So I just got some varget and I will load some up real soon and post my results
    Only thing is the points are not very uniform if you expose lead, I have found that if you make 70+ bullets you can ise the shiny punch to seat the cores and it makes a flatter finish (you would only understand if you own them)
    I have not had 1 seperate or tumble on me, all clean holes
    Last edited by newcastter; 11-06-2011 at 10:06 PM.

Banned
    thers is a revew page for this die set and i love my set i have made over 9k builts now with them so fare
    but here is the revew page link http://castboolits.gunloads.com/showthread.php?t=123845

Boolit Master
    I too have a set.. though without a rifle to test them in, makes things difficult.. I seem to do things opposite anyway, get things to make bullets then follow with getting THAT firearm in that caliber... Core and 22 lr brass prep (de-rimmed, annealing, cleaning) seems to be where the most time is spent.. Once you have the cores made up and weighed for consistency and the brass annealed and clean, half of your work is done.. all that is needed is to seat the cores, form the bullet, and then the final size.. which is done in batches, goes pretty quick.

I have a different method than most to do the de-rimming part.. I never really liked the stress it takes on the dies and press to take out that rim (about .050" reduction) so I've come up with something else.. I'll be shooting the bullets sized in this method this weekend and see if the results are what I'm hoping for.

Boolit Master
    Sweet. Keep us posted Sargenv. I had good results with projectiles made from the dies. Just as any other projectile. Load makes the difference.
    "Consequently we move away from other shooters to remain focused on our passion, as our ideas are quickly dismissed or misunderstood by others. Sharing does not come easily for swagers, not because they are necessarily selfish, but because they have been whittling away in their only little world for so long, that being able to relate to others what they understand is no simple task."

​Mentor

Boolit Buddy

I made some really nice 73gr bullets by using the shiny punch to seat the cores, It kept the tip nice and flat like a wadcutter I will load them and give results by mid December, I have just been distracted with an AR build and hunting seasons
    Last edited by newcastter; 11-20-2011 at 10:07 AM.

Boolit Master
    I made up some 55's and 60's with the Kaine Dies.. I had favorable luck with them both, but due to my seating the 60's too deep, the AR that we were using in addition to my "too short" bullet OAL, and the feed ramp not being the competition feed ramp, the AR kept reseating the 60's for me so that they seated deeper and would hang up the action. The 55's fed and ran the rifle just fine. I was going for under 2800 fps and wound up with about 2625 fps avg.. utilizing 21.4 gr of WCC844. I seated them a bit deeper, by accident.. they were 2.218", I should have seated them to 2.250". We were only shooting at 50 yards with a peep sight, and managed about a 1.5" - 5 shot group.. If we'd had a scoped rifle, I suspect we'd have done better.. the amazing thing was that I was fully 5 gr under max and they still cycled the gun. Next time I'll seat em to 2.25" and see if we can take them to the 100 or 200 yard line.

Boolit Mold
    I am intrigued, where can I find Kaiser dies?

Boolit Master

GLocker21:

FYI. I see you are new. Welcome to the Forum. Note on the Top and Left Boxes for threads - you will see a box with the posters information; but also see a date on the Top Bar. Your 1st post is in response to a thread that has been dead for 9-10 years. Recommend you post a NEW Thread asking where you can find the "Kaine Dies"; or other dies that will meet your requirements.
    Mustang

"In the beginning... the patriot is a scarce man, and brave and hated and scorned. When his cause succeeds, the timid join him, for then it costs nothing to be a patriot." - Mark Twain.