Titan ReloadingMidSouth Shooters SupplyInline FabricationLee Precision
RepackboxLoad DataRotoMetals2Snyders Jerky
Wideners Reloading Everything
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: "NEW " UNIQUE...Heavy Fouling...!!???

Boolit Man

"NEW " UNIQUE...Heavy Fouling...!!???

Hi All....I just finished cleaning my Ruger Super Blackhawk 5 1/2" SS....the load is as follows....Starline Brass....CCI 300...10gr. "NEW" Unique....Lyman 429421 HP...from an ancient Lyman Mold....cyl. throats are .431...bbl groove diam. is .430..NO LEADING in either the bbl or cylinder....BUT.....JEEZ...it took me TWO DAYS to scrub out the HEAVY BLACK fouling from Unique...!!!!!! Shot 40 of these loads on WED...it chronos at 1205fps....and is EXTREMELY accurate...just the ticket for my self imposed limit of 50yds. for whitetails here in NY......

Is there another alternative powder to this FILTHY Unique...???? I am looking for 1150 to 1200fps..anything that will not leave such HEAVY powder fouling....!!!!!

What say ye learned gentlemen..????

Thanks..
    Pete

ive never had that problem with the new unique. its regular ole wipe down. so i find that unique.
    my feedback. ive done a few more but never get feedback.
    http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...hlight=beex215

Boolit Grand Master

I would question the lube before I questioned the cleanlyness of Unique. I recently shot over 300 of almost the very same load of 10 gr Unique (my bullet was the RCBS 44-250-K) without any cleaning and it only took a normal cleaning to get the Ruger BHFT spotless. That is a very good load for your intended use, especially with the HP 429421 bullet BTW. I use Javelina lube.

Larry Gibson

add a wee bit o crimp and see if it doesnt help the burn , larry does bring up a good point tho , a good load ( lube and powder etc ) usually doesnt need cleaning if at all , sadly my world isnt all perfect either but gumount carb cleaner and kroil are my barrel's best friends ( applied with loving care and elbow grease of course ) it even gets the moly out of my ummm j-word varmit shootin irons
    Je suis Charlie

" To sit in judgment of those things which you perceive to be wrong or imperfect is to be one more person who is part of judgment, evil or imperfection."
    Wayne Dyer
    if it was easy would it be as worthy ? or as long of lasting impression ? the hardest of lessons are the best of teachers [shrugz]
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WLzFhOslZPM

Boolit Master
    Last weekend I shot loaded .44 Magnums with the 429244 bullet and 11.5 of Unqiue in my pistol....no unusual fouling problems and I used the new "Unique"... I did notice that with the 6th round, that the bullet was moved slightly out of the heavy roll crimo.

I've been using unique in the 45Colt Blackhawk, the 40sw Glock, and in the shotgun for Lee key-drive slugs. I have no cleanup issues whatsoever. If you really want to know the meaning of dirty burning, try some black powder.

Boolit Grand Master
    I have never used any powder that left fouling that bad in any revolver. None.

Boolit Buddy
    I get heavy, sooty, greasy fouling on the outside of the gun with Unique and standard .44 special loads, even with a firm roll crimp. Doesn't seem to matter if I'm using cast or swaged lead bullets.

Universal is far cleaner, but I get unburned powder flakes with it at special pressure/velocities, again with a firm roll crimp.

Boolit Man
    Thank you all for your help...My Lyman 450 had White Label 50/50 lube in it.....when that ran low I put in a stick of Javelina Lube... but I do not know if the Javelina has made its way yet onto my boolits....I noticed that with the White Label Lube the lube "star" on the muzzle is BLACK...!!! Guess I will have to clean out the lube sizer and re-fill with Javelina which I remember using some years ago...
    Thanks Again...
    Pete

Boolit Grand Master
    Can I ask why ou are cleaning the gun if it has no leading and accuracy is good? I frequently won't clean a revolver for many, many hundreds of rounds. I usually clean only when I start to have trouble with the fouling making loading difficult.
    I will often jut clean the chambers and push a dry patch down the barrel. Why clean a barrel that is shooting well.

I would leave the lube alone- the gun shoots well with it. Cosmetics don't matter, the target does!

did you soak it with something like kroil and let it sit awhile?

Love Life
    I never had any issues with old or "New" Unique.

Where was this fouling? Two days of scrubbing? I just don't understand.

My experience is that after 200 rounds or so the outside of the gun is getting sooty from the forcing cone area spreading outward. My hands start to pick some of this black up. A rag dampened with Eds Red, Kroil or CLP wipes the crud off. Even the front of the cylinder wipes clean. The chambers and barrel need nothing. After 500 or so I will wipe out the chambers if they are looking dirty. The barrel still needs nothing.
    If I choose to clean barrel 2 wet patches followed by two dry patches usually leaves a perfect bore. If I am pushing a load and get a touch of leading a couple wets followed by a few passes of a brush wrapped wth chore boy, 1 more wet and 2 dry and I am done.

The only hard fouling I ever find is around the barrel face on the frame.
    J
    "The .30-06 is never a mistake." Townsend Whelen

"THESE are the times that try men's souls. The summer soldier and the sunshine patriot will, in this crisis, shrink from the service of their country; but he that stands by it now, deserves the love and thanks of man and woman. Tyranny, like hell, is not easily conquered; yet we have this consolation with us, that the harder the conflict, the more glorious the triumph."
    Thomas Paine

Boolit Grand Master
    One thing is for certain; if it took you "two days" to scrub out the fouling, it wasn't Unique's fault.

Its fouling is easily removed with virtually any cleaner, and even if the load is low pressure, as the constituents are not persistent. Look elsewhere for the source of your problem. Unique fouling doesn't take two minutes to get out, let alone "two days."

Boolit Master
    I use a brush and mineral spirits (paint thinner) to clean up after my lead reloads. I don't have that problem in 44, using the new Unique too. But, I use the Carnuba Red, it's a harder lube. These guys hit on something, crimp and blowback matter in a revolver. I have been using 200 grain and 215 gc bullets though. Going light for shorter range (50- 100 meters).
    In all, the .41 Magnum would be one of my top choices for an all-around handgun if I were allowed to have only one. - Bart Skelton

I have used Unique for many,many years for everything but breakfest with NO problems.
    Check your lube. Good Shooting -------------------------Papa Smurf

Boolit Buddy
    I run close-to-top-end Unique loads through a 357 revolver and levergun and it is extremely clean burning at the pressure I run at.
    "Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive".

Boolit Mold
    Here's a good comparison between the "Old" and "New" Unique:

http://www.gunblast.com/Unique.htm

I've never had too much of a soot problem with Unique in my 8, 9 and 10 grain 255 grain 45 Colt Loads.

Since I've started using Carnuba Red and Ranch Dog's Factory Crimp Die the soot streaks on the cases are much smaller and not as heavy.

I've also been using Universal in 8, 9, and 10 grains with 255 grain bullets and it does burn cleaner than Unique. You might want give it a try.
    Last edited by Ziptar; 11-25-2011 at 01:20 PM.

Boolit Master
    One will find people who are completely goofy about cleaning. they will clean a gun if they fire it 1 time or a hundred times. They will clean it till it looks like it has never had the first cartridge fired through it.
    To these types I am sure they will find most powders dirty. I rarely clean a gun. I ran 600 rounds through one of my 44 Specials and never cleaned the barrel. I only wiped off the outside and lighty cleaned the cylinder window and relubed the rachet and the front "bushing" and oiled the base pin. That was it.
    To me most powders are not dirty because I don't clean my guns in a serious way.
    The ones that are the "Mr. Clean" of the gun cleaning world may find several powders that are terribly dirty.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast