Load DataRotoMetals2Inline FabricationRepackbox
Reloading EverythingLee PrecisionWidenersMidSouth Shooters Supply
Titan Reloading
Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst 123456

Thread: 40cal to 45cal 1 Step die review

Boolit Master
    Guys this look great. I would love to try a few before I pick up a set of dies. I am looking for a cheaper way to shoot my gap in 45.

Grumpa my walmart is around the same distance. I feel your pain. There is no Ill just run out and grab. You make the trip twice a month and make your list and check it twice. LOL

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by Fetzner808 View Post
    Grumpa and Lizard those just look amazing. Can't wait to get myself a set of these.

Lizard, what do they look like if you don't trim the brass? I thought I remember seeing BT post a photo of the brass curled around into the HP cavity? Can't seem to locate it now.

Keep up the good work guys!
    If I'm not mistakin the bullets above by Grumpa are done without trimming. Better suited for a colt because of the length.
    "The right of the people to keep and bear...arms shall not be infringed. A well regulated militia, composed of the body of the people, trained to arms, is the best and most natural defense of a free country..." (James Madison, I Annals of Congress 434 [June 8, 1789])

Once the people find they can vote themselves money, that will herald the end of the republic.
    Benjamin Franklin

In Remembrance
    Lizard333 is right, the ones I make for 45 Long Colt I don't trim the cases on.

The ones I make for the 45 ACP I trim down depending on the final weight I'm after.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	162764eb1a6cac072b.jpg 
Views:	202 
Size:	33.0 KB 
ID:	99493

Here's the completed boolit.

Click to see what I'm doing and have available, this takes you to the VS (Vendor Sponsor) section of the site. Currently..25Rem,30Rem, 32Rem, 35Rem, 257Roberts, 358Win, 338Fed, 357 Herrett, 30 Herrett, 401 Winchester, 300Sav, 221 Fireball, 260Rem, 222Rem, 250 Savage, 8mm Mauser (AKA 8x57), 25-20WCF

Annealing Services

http://castboolits.gunloads.com/foru...php?117-Grumpa

Boolit Mold
    Thanks for the reply guys. Pretty amazing what you can do with these swage dies. Can't wait to get a set.

Boolit Master

This is the picture that shows the steps, where I'm loosing it is in #3. Grumpa and I have exchanged emails from the first part of this post, but Im still in the weeds about #3. Where did this punch come from and what die us holding it. GRUMPA said it helps in expanding the brass during his process, however where does the punch and die appear?

Confused,
    Bill

In Remembrance
    This might help. The ROD goes into the die in the middle of this picture.

Simply unscrew the top part and insert the punch from the top, then screw back in the top part and screw the die assembly on the press and adjust the height.

EDIT: That 1 die in the middle has more than 1 function and that may confuse folks that don't have the die set right in front of them. That die is also used to core seat, and that uses the rod second from the end on the right. It's up to the user to use which ever punch they want.
    Last edited by GRUMPA; 02-09-2015 at 10:03 AM.
    Click to see what I'm doing and have available, this takes you to the VS (Vendor Sponsor) section of the site. Currently..25Rem,30Rem, 32Rem, 35Rem, 257Roberts, 358Win, 338Fed, 357 Herrett, 30 Herrett, 401 Winchester, 300Sav, 221 Fireball, 260Rem, 222Rem, 250 Savage, 8mm Mauser (AKA 8x57), 25-20WCF

Annealing Services

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by GRUMPA View Post
    This might help. The ROD goes into the die in the middle of this picture.

Simply unscrew the top part and insert the punch from the top, then screw back in the top part and screw the die assembly on the press and adjust the height.

EDIT: That 1 die in the middle has more than 1 function and that may confuse folks that don't have the die set right in front of them. That die is also used to core seat, and that uses the rod second from the end on the right. It's up to the user to use which ever punch they want.
    Thanks, that has cleared the punch, 45 acp is my next project. I'm not really convinced the BB is necessary for putting the fear in the heart of paper.
    Bill

In Remembrance
    Yeah I know what you mean, I never seen the look on a piece of paper either when a bullet goes through it, but I bet it isn't a pretty picture either. I just do it out of habit, why do something without going all out. And as you can tell I go all out to get the best I can do..

Annealing Services

Boolit Buddy

So what is the diameter of the core needed to make these? I want to make my own core mold because sometimes I use RCE jackets and if I use a upside down bullet there is not enough lead at the bottom and it results in pressure rings near the base but I am not sure of what diameter I should make the cavity.
    I figure I could still use the same cores in spent .40 brass too.

In Remembrance
    Keep in mind I bond them to the jacket and I use a .358 core mould. So basically the cores I use get melted in the case the same time I anneal.

Annealing Services

Frosted Boolits

Basically, you want the core to fit in the jacket. I like my core to go all the way down to the bottom of the jacket, whether it is brass cases or commercial jackets. If it goes all the way down you know it will seat well and there should be no voids. The core mold I use drops cores at .335". These fit well in 40 cases and commercial jackets. Here is a picture of some cores I had cast from the adjustable core mold. You can see how they fit in the jackets.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Core in Jacket.jpg 
Views:	94 
Size:	35.2 KB 
ID:	131501
    My Feedback : http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...iscoyotehunter

An armed society is a polite society.

the BB knows

Boolit Mold
    Im just curious on what they cost and how long it took you to receive them? I bought a set of the 22lr dies to .224 bullets and took about 14 months or so to receive them. back log sucked but his customer service is awesome. Ive got an over abundance of 40sw cases and haven't figured if I should cast and coat bullets for them or to turn them into bullets them selves.

In Remembrance
    Quote Originally Posted by Aimstraight View Post
    Im just curious on what they cost and how long it took you to receive them? I bought a set of the 22lr dies to .224 bullets and took about 14 months or so to receive them. back log sucked but his customer service is awesome. Ive got an over abundance of 40sw cases and haven't figured if I should cast and coat bullets for them or to turn them into bullets them selves.
    As far as cost.....just get into the VS section of the site and go look. And depending on how busy he is determines what the wait time is, no two ways around that. And if I were you....I would figure which I would get the most use out of......the 45cal.......or the 40cal.

Annealing Services

In Remembrance

Or, as I and many others have done..... Just buy ALL of the tool sets.

NRA Life Member
    NRA Certified Metallic Cartridge Reloading Instructor

Author of a book on reloading
    ILSA MEMBER http://www.internationallawnsteelsho...ssociation.com
    NRA RANGE SAFETY OFFICER

Boolit Mold
    Any of you guy's still doing this? I have a Corbin silver press & a 3 die set for 45 Acp, thinking of trying this with my dies.

Just might have a few questions along the way. I need to try to anneal some 40 cal case & try to remember how to use the Corbin press. It's been 20 years since I used it!

Boolit Buddy
    I'm new to this also. I have BTsnipers 9mm to 40 set with the btx crimp. I have on order his .22 to 224 dies and have his .22 pneumatic derim press. The 9mm to 40 set is a dream come true as after the initial costs, bullets from scrounged components are about 1 cent a piece maybe even less. My cousin and I both shoot 40 so the savings will be huge. Please keep this going as I know you guys are really helping out us new guys. Thanks
    Last edited by rcslotcar; 11-12-2018 at 11:11 PM.

Vendor Sponsor

Found some 45 cal pics to add.....

BTX Star Crimp Die
    Back in stock with new low price!
    Click link below!
    http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...Star-Crimp-Die

also check in and say hello on my new face book page!
    https://www.facebook.com/BTSniper-153949954674572/

Vendor Sponsor

Last edited by BT Sniper; 11-21-2017 at 11:54 PM.
    BTX Star Crimp Die
    Back in stock with new low price!
    Click link below!
    http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...Star-Crimp-Die

also check in and say hello on my new face book page!
    https://www.facebook.com/BTSniper-153949954674572/

Thanks to everyone for this amazing post. This kind of thing (and the giant pile of buckets of brass) are what drove me to decide to start casting.

Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst 123456