Load DataLee PrecisionWidenersReloading Everything
MidSouth Shooters SupplyTitan ReloadingInline FabricationRepackbox
RotoMetals2
Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: 40cal to 45cal 1 Step die review

When you swage these does the rim of these 40 cal cases expand out to .451 or does it stay close to it's original size?
    Mike

Politicians should be limited to two terms.

1 in office. 1 in prison.

Boolit Grand Master

It depends on how well you aneal, and how much pressure you apply. With a lot of pressure on soft brass, the extractor groove will almost disappear.

Well now I am just confused! Just got started casting and now Grampa has got me wired up about swaging. Read abunch on the sight sticky from BT swaging. Those a just beautiful pics Grampa and good explaining too.
    Thanks, really got me interested in this now. Must save money.
    CD

In Remembrance
    I have to laugh at that, it's GRUMPA by the way and not Grampa. This whole thing started because I knew there would be a day (kinda like now) that things are going to be hard to find let alone get and you could only get them if you yourself was the one that made it happen.

I like it for the simple reason that all one has to do is bend over and pick the stuff off the ground and with work make what you see in this thread.
    Click to see what I'm doing and have available, this takes you to the VS (Vendor Sponsor) section of the site. Currently..25Rem,30Rem, 32Rem, 35Rem, 257Roberts, 358Win, 338Fed, 357 Herrett, 30 Herrett, 401 Winchester, 300Sav, 221 Fireball, 260Rem, 222Rem, 250 Savage, 8mm Mauser (AKA 8x57), 25-20WCF

Annealing Services

http://castboolits.gunloads.com/foru...php?117-Grumpa

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by GRUMPA View Post
    The one step die part we'll come back to later as I chose to take a different approach.
    Are these dies intended to be a "one step" die?

In Remembrance
    YES!!!! By all means they are intended for the 1 step swaging die.
    Click to see what I'm doing and have available, this takes you to the VS (Vendor Sponsor) section of the site. Currently..25Rem,30Rem, 32Rem, 35Rem, 257Roberts, 358Win, 338Fed, 357 Herrett, 30 Herrett, 401 Winchester, 300Sav, 221 Fireball, 260Rem, 222Rem, 250 Savage, 8mm Mauser (AKA 8x57), 25-20WCF

Annealing Services

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by GRUMPA View Post
    YES!!!! By all means they are intended for the 1 step swaging die.
    Then I guess I'm confused. The last pic in post #2 shows 3 dies with 5 different rods???

Boolit Master

One die. Multiple steps. The one step is slightly deceiving. Ok, really deceiving. These are a lot of work but they are worth it.
    "The right of the people to keep and bear...arms shall not be infringed. A well regulated militia, composed of the body of the people, trained to arms, is the best and most natural defense of a free country..." (James Madison, I Annals of Congress 434 [June 8, 1789])

Once the people find they can vote themselves money, that will herald the end of the republic.
    Benjamin Franklin

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by Lizard333 View Post
    One die. Multiple steps. The one step is slightly deceiving. Ok, really deceiving. These are a lot of work but they are worth it.
    I was thinking they were like BT's video of dropping an upside down 9mm into a 9mm case and swaging it to a .40 hollow point all in one pull of the handle.

thanks,
    CC

Boolit Master

Yes. But they piece of brass has few steps before that LAST step. Expand the piece of 9mm brass to except a cast lead core. Ok. Cast that core. Step 3. Seat the core. Step 4 notch the case. Step 5, place ready piece of brass in BT's "one" step die. So ya, a one (5), step die.
    "The right of the people to keep and bear...arms shall not be infringed. A well regulated militia, composed of the body of the people, trained to arms, is the best and most natural defense of a free country..." (James Madison, I Annals of Congress 434 [June 8, 1789])

Once the people find they can vote themselves money, that will herald the end of the republic.
    Benjamin Franklin

Boolit Buddy
    OK, if you cast a core slightly smaller than 9mm, simply install in the 9mm brass (anealled). The core is seated at the same time the jacket is formed. So 1 step, vs swaging a core, belling the mouth, seating a core, forming the point. Is the hollow point formed during the swaging process or when the boolit is ejected from the die?

thanks,
    CC

Boolit Master
    seated with Him in the heavenly places in Christ Jesus (Eph 2:6)
    the hollow point notches are scored after swaging the cores (it is an extra step), it is the step right before point forming... the hp notching die can be easily made at home with a triangular file if you want to redneck it or a 60 degree mill cutting tool if you have the tooling... the hp notching is not a mandatory step if all you are doing is punching holes in paper to practice...

In Remembrance
    Figure I would add these pictures of what these can do after you use them.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	45LC Before.jpg 
Views:	235 
Size:	42.9 KB 
ID:	88889

Name:	100_0382.jpg 
Views:	117 
Size:	103.8 KB 
ID:	88890

Name:	100_0383.jpg 
Views:	959 
Size:	126.5 KB 
ID:	88891

Name:	100_0384.jpg 
Views:	130 
Size:	104.1 KB 
ID:	88892

Name:	100_0385.jpg 
Views:	107 
Size:	95.2 KB 
ID:	88893

Name:	100_0386.jpg 
Views:	2354 
Size:	98.8 KB 
ID:	88895

Annealing Services

Boolit Master

I'll see about getting to my full potential.
    What? You mean there's more to come? Woohoo!

HV
    Life's biggest tragedy is we get old too soon, and wise too late.

Boolit Master

40cal to 45cal 1 Step die review

Ok, using these dies, I decided my previous way of making these bullets using only a 2 cavity mold was a pain in the rear. I wanted to see if I could get similar bullets, around 200 gns, with the Lee 6 cavity, 9mm 125 gn mould. Turns out, by just changing the length of the bullet I was able to get the desired bullet, about 205 gns.

First I had to determine the length of the 40S&W to use with the 125 gn core out of the lee. I found that by cutting the 40 down to .720 inches, I got the desired fill I was looking for. After that, everything else is the same that Grumpa does in the original post. I bond the cores and anneal the brass at the same time. Today, I did it with a torch, so when I tumbled my brass, you get the copper wash you see in the finished bullets. BTW, brass and lead will bond to each other without the use of a flux, so I don't use any. No point in risking damaging the dies.

These puppies weigh in at 205-207, which is more than adequate for my needs. Very cool!!

Benjamin Franklin

Boolit Master on Heavens Range
    Quote Originally Posted by Lizard333 View Post
    Ok, using these dies, I decided my previous way of making these bullets using only a 2 cavity mold was a pain in the rear. I wanted to see if I could get similar bullets, around 200 gns, with the Lee 6 cavity, 9mm 125 gn mould. Turns out, by just changing the length of the bullet I was able to get the desired bullet, about 205 gns.

First I had to determine the length of the 40S&W to use with the 125 gn core out of the lee. I found that by cutting the 40 down to .720 inches, I got the desired fill I was looking for. After that, everything else is the same that Grumpa does in the original post. I bond the cores and anneal the brass at the same time. Today, I did it with a torch, so when I tumbled my brass, you get the copper wash you see in the finished bullets. BTW, brass and lead will bond to each other without the use of a flux, so I don't use any. No point in risking damaging the dies.

These puppies weigh in at 205-207, which is more than adequate for my needs. Very cool!!
    Thanks for sharing ! I can't wait to get my .500 dies ...
    Shoot'em If You Got'em...

In Remembrance
    Here's a couple more pictures of what I got done with today. These weigh in at 258gr and they look better than store bought. Only reason these are heavier than what I normally do these are intended for a 45LC.

Name:	Top (2880 x 2160).jpg 
Views:	339 
Size:	110.1 KB 
ID:	97567

Name:	Side.jpg 
Views:	5360 
Size:	84.9 KB 
ID:	97568

Annealing Services

Vendor Sponsor

Great looking bullets guys!

Swage on!

BT
    BTX Star Crimp Die
    Back in stock with new low price!
    Click link below!
    http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...Star-Crimp-Die

also check in and say hello on my new face book page!
    https://www.facebook.com/BTSniper-153949954674572/

Boolit Mold
    Grumpa and Lizard those just look amazing. Can't wait to get myself a set of these.

Lizard, what do they look like if you don't trim the brass? I thought I remember seeing BT post a photo of the brass curled around into the HP cavity? Can't seem to locate it now.

Keep up the good work guys!

Boolit Master
    If you find the video please post a link. I have been looking for BT's video for some time now. I want to look into making 9s into 40 for 10mm.

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast