Reloading EverythingLoad DataMidSouth Shooters SupplyLee Precision
Titan ReloadingRotoMetals2WidenersInline Fabrication
Repackbox
Page 1 of 6 123456 LastLast

Thread: 40cal to 45cal 1 Step die review

In Remembrance

40cal to 45cal 1 Step die review

OK first time doing this so if things aren't right you'll know why. First off I was pondering on buying the die set for some time strictly because of the price involved. When I finally convinced myself to just go ahead and do it I bought them. Delivery took a few weeks and I was pacing the floor like an expectant father on the arrival of the first born. Well it finally came in the mail and I was a happy camper after that.

Most people when they get something new is read the directions that came with the dies, or in my case via the P.M. I read them from top to bottom twice and understood them OK I thought and away I went. First thing that I would like to stress is the fact that the brass must be clean from debris of all sorts. I have one of the rotary tumblers that has the stainless steel pins and after 3 hours they come out looking like new.

The one step die part we'll come back to later as I chose to take a different approach. I elected to trim my brass to .700 from .830 because I wanted to be as close to factory components as I can till I got better at it. First picture is just shorter that factory and the second is a before and after trimming shot.

I had a custom cutter made that trims as well as deburrs the brass, I did 35 of them in 15 minutes complete with this.

I hooked up my drill to this and away I went. 2 More of just the custom cutter/trimmer.

When I got my dies everything that could be thought of was already done. Like BT sent along pieces numbered 1 thru 5 to guide the user with a visual aid (as well as written instructions) thru the various steps.

Once I got the trimming part figure out Annealing was next in the steps. I got a cast iron dutch oven and put it on a turkey fryer and it took me just about 1/2 hour till it reached 950deg according to my thermometer. Of course I let them cool for awhile and expanded the case as per instructions.

On mine I chose to BOND the cores after I tried a few without bonding them. I simply took a Q-Tip and rubbed it in some soldering flux and wiped it in the case.

Next step was to cast out some pure lead slugs with my 158gr mold and away I went. After that I simply put the pure lead 158gr boolits in the fluxed case and put them back in the dutch oven and melted the cores which only took me 12 minutes to do, and I did just over 250 pieces on that batch.

Next step was to make sure you put the lube on the case and that's in the directions as well as how much which BT provides you with enough for at least 500 pieces. I ran out of mine in no time so I made another batch, and that was real simple to do.

Then it's off to the press to seat the core. Since I melted mine in the case this step is really simple. It's #2 in the picture above, that's what it looks like when your done.

Next step was to concave the top of the bullet which is #3 in the photo above. Another real simple operation.

Next is notching the case/jacket, Very simple and that's #4 in the photo above. Just don't get in a hurry to play with your new toys and forget to insert the BB like someone else I know.

And last but not least the final forming of the bullet. Here's some of what I got done with mine.

The 2 above were from brass trimmed to .700 and the hollow point punch was used first then I used the punch you use when using the BB. I don't recall the specific name for it but you get the point.
    Click to see what I'm doing and have available, this takes you to the VS (Vendor Sponsor) section of the site. Currently..25Rem,30Rem, 32Rem, 35Rem, 257Roberts, 358Win, 338Fed, 357 Herrett, 30 Herrett, 401 Winchester, 300Sav, 221 Fireball, 260Rem, 222Rem, 250 Savage, 8mm Mauser (AKA 8x57), 25-20WCF

Annealing Services

http://castboolits.gunloads.com/foru...php?117-Grumpa

In Remembrance
    The ones below are using the hollow point tool only.

The one below is using the punch for seating the BB.

All the above finished again were from trimmed brass to .700 and a 158gr pure lead core.

Here is a picture of the 1 step finished product with it installed in the case and 1 without.

Being somewhat longer than the trimmed brass I reserve them for 45LC right now. I've only made a few right now and am holding off till Christmas to see if Santa Claus is going to bring that canalure tool I want.

The 1 below is a trimmed 40 to .700 only this time I have a 125gr lead core and put in the BB.

Bt provided me with a means to expand my abilities which I truly admire. With something like this I can experiment to my hearts content with whatever I can dream up. The ability to create something like this from things that can almost be picked up from the ground is to me mind boggling.

I have only shot around 100 of these and they shoot just as good as what I buy in the local big stores. I have no complaints at all and probably when I get time this winter to really knuckle down and try different things I'll see about getting to my full potential.

When I got the dies this is what they look like.

Like I said this is my first time writing a review so if I missed something don't be shy on asking, I'll just add on to this thread. One thing is as soon as I can get the coin together I'll be getting the 9mm to 40cal die set from him without hesitation.

Hope this helps out the new guys.
    For you new guys at swaging, this is really simple to do. It just takes an effort on your part, but with care of your dies and always keeping the cases lubed they should last you a lifetime.
    Last edited by GRUMPA; 11-02-2011 at 06:48 PM.
    Click to see what I'm doing and have available, this takes you to the VS (Vendor Sponsor) section of the site. Currently..25Rem,30Rem, 32Rem, 35Rem, 257Roberts, 358Win, 338Fed, 357 Herrett, 30 Herrett, 401 Winchester, 300Sav, 221 Fireball, 260Rem, 222Rem, 250 Savage, 8mm Mauser (AKA 8x57), 25-20WCF

Annealing Services

Boolit Man
    Great job and thank you. Us new guys really need this type of review with photos to understand what the process looks like. I had no idea a dutch oven would work so well.
    Frank

Boolit Master

thanks I'm already in line for a 9mm to 40cal set,should be ready by x-mas.very good info on the dutch oven

In Remembrance
    OK that's 2 comments on the Dutch Oven. Just so we are on the same page this one has a lid. I drilled a hole thru the lid just big enough so my thermometer that I use for casting, fits in with the dial part of it resting of the handle for the lid..... getting pictures uploaded now

Last edited by GRUMPA; 11-02-2011 at 07:00 PM. Reason: Added Pictures

Annealing Services

What are the final bullet weights?

In Remembrance
    Weights OK,
    The ones with just the hollow point punch are 228gr.
    The ones with the hollow point and the BB punch are 228gr.
    The ones with just the punch for the BB insert are 228gr.
    The ones with the BB inserted for the 45LC are 240gr.
    The ones with the BB inserted that I made with a 125gr core are 198gr.

Annealing Services

Are the 228's using the 125 gr core or the 158 gr core?

In Remembrance
    Using the 158gr core, I only used the 125gr core on the 45 ACP bullet with the BB inserted.
    And the one for the 45LC is in fact with a 158gr core. Sometimes when doing this it is a standard for me to weigh them each and make any adjustments with lead shot.

I'm editing this for the sake of clarifying: When I drop the 158gr lead core in the case and I weigh it, because of what I did for a living (precision grinder) I'm very fussy about things, trust me on that just ask the other half. They are sometimes off weight by as much as 3gr strictly because of case weight. So the picky SOB that I am would rather spend the few seconds to get it as close to perfect as possible.
    Last edited by GRUMPA; 11-02-2011 at 08:53 PM.

Annealing Services

Vendor Sponsor

Looks great GRUMPA! I like the look of the bowl (concaved?) BB punched lead nose that was first a HP. That looks like it has some potential. Heck they all look good. How does a bullet formed with same BB nose punch look when you forgo the BB in the large cavity? I never got around to trying that out. Basicly all 5 steps minus dropping a BB in the nose. Might make an interesting looking/performing HP!

I'm placing an order with CH this week. The cannalure tool is $66 + $10 shipping after discount if I remember correctly. That is if santa is coming early this year to you. That 45LC should be awesome with these bullets!

You should eleborate just how remote you are out there in AZ. Hopefully you can make less trips to the big gun stores now for bullets.

Nice work! Good Shooting and Swage On!

BT

p.s. love the look of the new trimmer!
    BTX Star Crimp Die
    Back in stock with new low price!
    Click link below!
    http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...Star-Crimp-Die

also check in and say hello on my new face book page!
    https://www.facebook.com/BTSniper-153949954674572/

Boolit Man
    A pm is on the way BT. Hopefully before you place your order.
    Frank

Gonna have to start saving my pennies! This looks awesome!

In Remembrance
    You should eleborate just how remote you are out there in AZ. Hopefully you can make less trips to the big gun stores now for bullets.
    BT

For the curious about how remote I am just click on my name and go in my "Home" folder. And BT I actually bought a couple of boxes of factory "Cartridges" for testing with what I made. Been casting for over 20yrs and never actually bought bullets (Except performance stuff) for myself. Those 2 boxes of factory cost me just under $50.
    And the nearest Wally World (cheapest) is a 90mi round trip for me.

Annealing Services

Boolit Bub
    Great review. I'm sold and already feeling like a kid before Christmas. One question. How do they feed in a stock 1911. Anyone shoot these beauty's yet. Let me know.

In Remembrance
    With the 100 or so I've shot thru both my 1911's they cycle and function as good as anything else. Nothing to note or point out, just load and shoot. When I get mine all done I run them thru a .451 LEE sizer (I'm Fussy) and tumble them 1 last time to remove the lube then let dry. It's simpler than one could imagine.....GRUMPA

Annealing Services

Couple more questions:
    1. Are the "BB's" that you used Airsoft BB's?
    2. You said you used a 125gr core and a 158gr core. I'm assuming that these are 356-358 diameter. Did you attempt to just swage the core in without melting (bonding) on any of them and if so, how did it work?

In Remembrance
    YES!!!!!! The BB's in question are the Airsoft type, 8mm to be exact. They come in a couple of different colors, white and blue I believe.

Both 158gr and the 125gr are the .358 dia. type.

The term "BONDING" I believe refers to the core being adhered to the jacket so when it expands the lead peels back with the jacket, no separation.

I did not BOND one batch and your not going to notice anything different thru any of the procedures at all, till you use them. When I did water jug testing I had the core separate from the jacket, which is a no-no to me.

I remelted the lead out of that batch and have always bonded the cores since. The last time I shot at water jugs the core expanded and stuck to the jacket, which is what I wanted.

Living as remote as I do I for right now can't accumulate enough newsprint for expansion, penetration testing just yet.

Annealing Services

Boolit Master

Grumpa Thanks for the info.

I have been gathering cash to buy 9mm to 40 and 40 to 45. picking up pennies in the parking lot and washer/dryer is taking far too much time in my opinion, as such I need to get off my duff and get the cash gathered up. And too boot I am not sure if my wife believes I am trying to be helpful with doing laundry!

Boolit Mold
    Grumpa - These are great photos and descriptions!

BT - Where can I purchase the cannelure tool that you mentioned above for $66+?

Boolit Master
    "Where can I purchase the cannelure tool that you mentioned above for $66+?"

ch4d.com

Part # Description Price

12000 Solid Steel Cannelure Tool $67.16

Thought that I would help Brian out by answering this question.
    I bought one and it works great for me.

Lafaun
    Just staying at home and playing with multi-color boolits.

Page 1 of 6 123456 LastLast