Reloading EverythingRepackboxLee PrecisionSnyders Jerky
WidenersRotoMetals2MidSouth Shooters SupplyTitan Reloading
Inline Fabrication Load Data
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Lee Rifle Charging Die

Thanks I guess I was looking for big bottles of the stuff lol.
    If one sits in thundering quiet the soul dies slow instead of yell to the heavens for all to hear and behold the righteous and upstanding and ones of which should be held with tales of woe. By C.A.S. <--- Thats Me lol.

Thumbs up

Ben's creativity with the Lee Auto Disk powder measure got me to thinking: Can it be used with either a Universal Charge- or Rifle Charging Die to throw large charges of rifle powder as well? The short answer is a resounding "yes" IF you also have the riser kit and extra disks and IF you're using a ball powder. Here's what I did:

First, the powder in question is a ball type, specifically the slow burning, but slick (slippery) WC 860. I typically use 48gr. + LR Mag. primers in my .30-06, 7.62 x 54R, and 8 x 57mm. with CB's weighing at least 180gr. However, since my current lot is a bit faster, I've dropped the charge to 46gr. - 47gr. Would the Auto Disk measure be able to do this, I wondered?

Second, not wanting to fiddle with the disks, I went right to the Lee Dippers and found that the 3.1cc dipper consistently -> 46.1gr. WC 860. All that remained was to find 2 disks, which when stacked -> at least 3.1cc. The 1.46cc + 1.57cc disks (3.03cc) threw a lighter charge than I wanted for the '06 and similar cases. Nevertheless, it was in the ballpark for the Arg. Mau. (7.65 x 53mm). Two 1.57cc disks, stacked, gave perfect, repeatable results: 46.5gr. Btw, tapping the expander die twice after throwing the charge seems to settle things down.

Third, I don't know whether the .30cal. carbine expander will fit the [Lee] Rifle Charging Die, but will give Lee Precision a call tomorrow to see. If not, I'll just have to use the Lyman "M" Die, but Ben's way saves a step.

Thanks to Ben, there's now another option for charging rifle cases with the Lee Auto Disk powder measure.

Boolit Grand Master
    Paul :

I don't know whether the .30cal. carbine expander will fit the [Lee] Rifle Charging Die

It fits in mine like it grew in there.

No problems at all.

The " territory " that you're experimenting with is an area I've never tried with the system.
    I've never thrown more that 20 grs. of fine grained powder.

Ben

Ben, I've got lots of WC 860 to use up + an Ohaus Duo Measure and a Bonzana BR measure set for 46gr. - 47gr, of it, but your way intrigued me. The standard deviation in powder charges with the Lee Auto Disk is no greater than what I get from the other two, namely 0.3gr. - 0.5gr. Don't even think about trying the Lee with extruded powders, as it's just too erratic.

Boolit Grand Master
    True about the IMR's. I never tried it, but I'd think the elastomer ( sp ? ) wiper would take a real beating with the IMR powders like 4350 and 4831. You're RIGHT, it just isn't designed to work with powders like that.

Ball powder will run through one like water running through screen wire.

Ben

Can you see why I enjoy shooting 16 grs. of 2400 in my TIKKA ? ( This group is sub 1/2 " )

Boolit Master

If anyone else is using a Hornady or RCBS case activated system then look at the Powderfunnels expander. This may be old news to many, but I just started using mine and it will never be removed from my press. I may even buy the linkage for my Uniflow and buy an extra expander since I like the thing so much. I get zero shaving of lead while using it. That is a neat idea though to use the .30 insert in the die though. Outside of the box thinking.

Oh, here is a link if I'm not being clear on what I'm talking about:

http://www.powderfunnels.com/products.html

Boolit Master
    Flaring inserts can be made for the calibers that are lacking them. Not a big job.
    Paul G.
    Once I was young, now I am old and in between went by way to fast.

The end move in politics is always to pick up a gun.
    -- R. Buckminster Fuller

Boolit Master

another great post,I find the dillion power funnel will also fare out the neck of my 30-06 cases,but I like to measure & check each charge for my rifle loads, so this would do away with the need to reset dies each time I load for the 30-06.
    Guys we need to get Ben to finish his book so all this info is in one place,My internet was down over the weekend,you never know when your NOT going to be able to get this type of info by internet....

Boolit Bub
    Thanks a lot for this info, Ben. I've been searching the web for several hours looking for a powder through expanding die for 30-30 and '06. I have no experience loading rifle cartridges, but it amazes me that no one makes one of these. I just ordered two of these allong with the mold, dies and other gadgets needed to start loading 30-06 and 30-30.

Okay which one of these would I need for the 358 Winchester? Thank You.

http://www.midwayusa.com/product/652...l-charging-die

http://www.midwayusa.com/product/792...to-30-calibers
    If one sits in thundering quiet the soul dies slow instead of yell to the heavens for all to hear and behold the righteous and upstanding and ones of which should be held with tales of woe. By C.A.S. <--- Thats Me lol.

I realize this thread is a little older, but I came across it and it was a great help to me.

I found the link to the Lee Expander Plug was outdated, and it took me a little time digging through the Lee website to find the item. I wanted to post the updated link to save people a little time if they too went looking for the part.

http://leeprecision.com/pm-exp-plug-30m1.html

The Auto-disk Rifle Charing Die can be picked up for cheap from either Midway USA or Brownells.

http://www.brownells.com/reloading/p...95-115227.aspx

http://www.midwayusa.com/product/792...la=ProductDesc

I'll be using to expand/charge .30-06 on Dillon 550B in place of the Dillon powered measure for hard cast lead plinking/practice loads.

These are the parts I have ordered, so if someone sees this and it's not the correct items that are needed please let me know ASAP so I can get the correct parts.

Thanks to website and everyone it for all the fantastic information. Invaluable.

Ryan

Boolit Master
    I missed this thread previously, great information and thanks for the updated links iflyskyhigh!
    NRA Endowment member, TSRA Life member, Distinguished Rifleman, Viet Nam Vet

I forgot to add, I looked all over the internet for the Lee .30 cal expander plug. Couldn't find it anywhere expect the Lee website.

Save yourself some time and just order it from Lee. It's a little $6 with shipping, $6.92 to exact. The shipping was actually more than the plug itself, but like I said, I couldn't find it for sale anywhere else and I consider myself a pretty strong "internet shopper".

Boolit Master
    I have been using the LEE 30m1 expander in a 38 special powder through die.
    This works great for running my cast loads for my 300 Black Out on the progressive or on the turret press.

I use the Lee powder die for loading all my larger bottleneck rifle cartridges.

I start with fully prepped and primed cases, and that includes flaring if cast are being pushed in.

I use a lot of IMR 4895 and it doesn't go thru anything very well. So the charges get dropped by an electronic powder measure.

The case goes under the charging die where the powder is dumped in a funnel and then tapped to make sure it all fell into the case.

Then seat bullet and then crimp in a separate step.

With strait walled cases I use a Powder Thru Expander Plug in a C&H Die, mainly because I have one and the plugs are cheap and easy to get or make.

Here's a pic of the set up on a C&H press which is how I load most larger rifle and pistol rounds.

For loading cast the Lee expander plug would save a step (M-die or flare) and speed things up as long as the powder would flow thru the die. 2400 should work?

Randy
    Last edited by W.R.Buchanan; 09-10-2013 at 05:39 PM.
    "It's not how well you do what you know how to do,,,It's how well you do what you DON'T know how to do!"
    www.buchananprecisionmachine.com

Boolit Master

Stumbled on this, going to give it a try…

Boolit Master

Wow, 10-yr old thread still keeps giving...way to go Ben. Same thing with Ben's red.
    ...Speak softly & carry a big stick...

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12