0 0%
  • leave mess on bottom of boolit

1 7.69%
  • what mess?

6 46.15%

Thread: Lyman #45 lubrisizer ?

Lyman #45 lubrisizer ?

Hi Guys,
    The Bevel Base, babys messy bottom problem has reared its head again for me. Maybe I just resigned myself before but no question is so dumb as to not ask.

Presently I adjust the boolit depth thingie over and over trying to get lube in the groove without getting it on the base.
    Any suggestions on how to reduce this problem on BB boolits?

much obiged,

Max

i keep a paper towel on my leg and wipe ... a gasket cut from foam ( such as meat comes in or a foam egg carton ) can help somewhat ( sometimes a whole lot lolz )
    Je suis Charlie

" To sit in judgment of those things which you perceive to be wrong or imperfect is to be one more person who is part of judgment, evil or imperfection."
    Wayne Dyer
    if it was easy would it be as worthy ? or as long of lasting impression ? the hardest of lessons are the best of teachers [shrugz]
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WLzFhOslZPM

Boolit Grand Master

If you have a lathe or a friend with one, you can cut the ejector rod to match the bevel. Otherwise, the foam tray disk with lowest possible pressure to fill the groove works about as well as anything else. Heat could help lower the pressure required.

Boolit Master
    Buy a Star.
    Problem solved.

Sorry, I couldn't resist.

Lafaun
    Just staying at home and playing with multi-color boolits.

Moderator Emeritus

I have had enough of a problem, I now tumble lube BB boolits.

But if I had to have a beeswax base lube on a BB boolits,
    I'd go the route of imashooter2 advice.
    If you have a lathe or a friend with one, you can cut the ejector rod to match the bevel.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    “If someone has a gun and is trying to kill you, it would be reasonable to shoot back with your own gun.”
    ― The Dalai Lama, Seattle Times, May 2001

Use a 1/4" wrench instead of ratchet. Buy RCBS lube dies instead of Lyman. They have a single row of lube holes. You adjust the depth so the holes cover the lube groove. Lower boolit, turn wrench to add pressure, release pressure, raise boolit. This way the bevel base is not exposed to the lube under pressure.
    Visit my page at www.echoarms.com for casting, reloading, and firearms accessories as well as FFL services in Southern California.

Like my Facebook page: Echo Arms

using a Lyman, Lubrisizer correctly

Quote Originally Posted by thehouseproduct View Post
    Use a 1/4" wrench instead of ratchet. Buy RCBS lube dies instead of Lyman. They have a single row of lube holes. You adjust the depth so the holes cover the lube groove. Lower boolit, turn wrench to add pressure, release pressure, raise boolit. This way the bevel base is not exposed to the lube under pressure.
    Hi, I cant believe I missed this before. I will try the 1/4" trick. Much obliged, Max

p.s. I shoot in OC at Evan's weekdays, and Raahagues on weekends, do you?

MI

I have shot at Evan's once. It's funny you mention Raahagues, I let my pistol membership lapse and I'm looking to join again. I have a bunch of steel targets and I'm getting tired of only shooting paper elsewhere.

shoot in OC

Quote Originally Posted by thehouseproduct View Post
    I have shot at Evan's once. It's funny you mention Raahagues, I let my pistol membership lapse and I'm looking to join again. I have a bunch of steel targets and I'm getting tired of only shooting paper elsewhere.
    Hi, I feel the same way. So I shoot steel with Shooting Sports Alliance. No need to join Raahague's or even SSA just pay the $35. match fee. This Sunday 9AM. You can see us at 'Steel Madness' on youtube.com also.
    Come on out.

Max

Boolit Master

Think I would have me a bevel base punch made for my H&I die problem solved.

Banned

Plug all the holes except for the top "plane" of them with solid-core solder cut into short pieces and peened in against the ejector. Set the depth stop to align with the grease groove on the boolit exactly with the holes, or if the boolit has two grooves, align the holes with the band between the grooves, the holes are bigger than most any driving band is wide and the lube will feed to both grooves at once. Use the wrench to only apply pressure once the boolit is in position, then release pressure slightly before ejecting the boolit. Don't get the lube too warm or it will flow too well.

Gear

In Remembrance
    Quote Originally Posted by geargnasher View Post
    Use the wrench to only apply pressure once the boolit is in position, then release pressure slightly before ejecting the boolit. Don't get the lube too warm or it will flow too well.

Gear
    I use a 1/4" nutdriver on my Lyman 45s rather than a wrench. It gives me a better feel for the lube pressure/flow and keeps me from being too heavy-handed, which in turn keeps the mess down.

Between that and little styrofoam "cups", I have very little lube accumulation on the base of any boolits--bevel or otherwise. A quick wipe/swipe on a shop rag dampened with some odorless mineral spirits slicks them right up.

Boolit Master

I opted for the expensive fix, I bought a Star! But I still have a Lyman 45, and I found that it really depended on the bevel. I have some boolits that have a rather large bevel in the base, then I have an MP #68BB clone mould, and it's bevel is very small, and as long as I kept the pressure much lower than I normally would that I could size & lube them without getting lube in the bevel, or under the bases.
    - MikeS

Want to checkout my feedback? It's here:
    http://www.castboolits.gunloads.com/...d.php?t=136410

Boolit Grand Master in Remembrance

I use a soft piece of leather as a wipe, works much better than a cloth rag or paper towel. Also easily cleaned with a dull knife.